The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
Project_Truck

Cool 72 C10 in boxes and baggies <community build>

Starting out.

Doors are opening up and so I'm stepping through. Picked this truck up a couple years ago and have been on a quest to get some traction. Finally got past all the .."and then I can..."

Tossing all that out the window and going to JDI <justDoit>

I'm making a push to put the truck back together with all the parts I got with the truck. I do know that I will have to get some parts replaced right up front.

I will be asking for help along the way. I do have a good neighbor BobbyH. (someone here probably knows Bobby.) He, George and a couple others are willing to give me some good advice and point me to parts. I'm also going to change the rear end to a trailing arm but I'm going to just leave it drum brakes. Here and there, if it can be done quicker (not necessarily "cheaper" I'll take sound advice and do it that way.

For starters, I just want to be able to drive it to work and back and maybe get to the SE Nationals.

Ready Set Go!

Instagram projecttruckandtools.

Some history on the truck

The OG owner lived in Leipers Fork above the General store on the corner as you head back to town. The elderly gentleman who owned it had to give it up so it went to another owner who neglected to get the project started who in turn sold it to Alan in Thompsons Station who tore the truck apart..and did a great job doing it. Everything on the cab is marked. All the bolts in baggies and boxes. Again, marked and labeled.

Frame
Blasted and Painted.

Transmission
Replacement Rebuilt 700r
New Torque Converter

Motor
Newly rebuilt 350 with Corvette Heads if that makes sense? Said the mechanic had them leftover in his shop so he threw them on.

New for Motor
Edlebrock Manifold
Holly Carb
Engine Stand

Suspension Parts NEW
Front upper A-arms
Pittman arms complete for front.

Ton of Energy and other bushings
New bed bolt hardware.

What I've been able to do so far....because I'm a total rookie but have spent 2 years on and off this site and youtube...

I've blasted just about every brace/bracket in Bobby's media blaster and have put a form of primer to keep the new metal from being exposed.

JoshB and I have put the front end on and when I posted pictures 2 years ago (admin you can kill the Moedaddio user..it was my old one) a few of you called out immediately that there were some parts put on backwards.

I'm not planning on painting the truck yet. I'm not terrified with the paint and have wetsanded the doors, polished them, and waxed them up. They are inside the barn. Hopefully I can slow the rust down that way for a couple years. (hopefully I'll be able to get it painted one day and have it all done right and then..and then...)

I rebuilt one door by replacing the regulator rollers, rebuilding my own Vent Windows.<I'll post more pics after I resize them all starting with the doors.

Yesterday I took the one door apart and found that the vent window channel had been tore up by the that *that metal piece along the bottom of the window. The squared edge stuck out just enough to grab the fabric on the PRECISION PARTS channel.

I've ground the *metal piece along the bottom of the window (anyone please chime in) and am going to put it back on the glass as soon as mr smile box brings me my 3m AutoGlass Urethane so I can glue it back on and wait for it to cure and settle. BobbyH is an incredible glass guy and suggested that this product..although messy is a great way to get the class to fit well into the channel.

I work as a project manager and a digital asset manager. I'm putting all of my pics into folders so when I post something here although I will sound kinda dumb (because up to know I've only rebuilt a diesel fuel filter pump and the 4x4 hubs on my old 2002 Chevy Duramax.)

This is my first ever rebuild..I'm going to give em heck and I'm hoping to get some help and some courage to get this baby running.

Seriously...the engine has been rebuilt..

HERE WE GO!
Attached Images

Project_Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
CarlsLQ9SS

Re: 72 C10 in boxes and baggies <community build>

Looks almost identical to the cab i went and bought. Except mine was medium blue and light blue!
CarlsLQ9SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
57taskforce
All about them K’s

I’m not doubting you but I’m pretty sure there a lot more corvette heads/motors in cars and trucks than GM ever made by a long shot!
Looks like a really nice start, can’t wait to see it together!
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:08 PM   #4
Project_Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
I’m not doubting you but I’m pretty sure there a lot more corvette heads/motors in cars and trucks than GM ever made by a long shot!
Looks like a really nice start, can’t wait to see it together!
I've not even sure that Alan was told the truth. Sounds like a good mechanic story. BobbyH said bring it over, we'll make sure that since its been sitting around, that it will start up.

After all that's what I want.
Project_Truck is offline   Reply With Quote