The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
LS OEM Accessory Drive Questions

I am under the impression that GM makes 3 different offset accessory drive set-ups for the LS engine.
A short set-up (close to the engine) for Corvette/Cadillac CTS-V, a mid set-up if you will (3/4" increased distance from engine) for F-Body & GTO, and a long Set-up (1.5" increased distance from engine) for the trucks.

My questions are:
Which offset set-up does the Caprice use?
Which offset set-up does the Trailblazer SS use?

I am trying to determine if the Caprice or GTO uses the same accessory drive set-up as the Trailblazer SS, as they both have a A/C bracket that incorporates both an idler pulley and a tensioner pulley, where the TBSS only has a tensioner pulley.

I constantly throw the A/C belt on my TBSS during hard 1-2 shifts, and have read that this is why GM added the idler pulley to the newer A/C brackets.
the GM part No. to the newer improved bracket for the Caprice that I am referring to is #92252927.
I have no idea what the bracket part# for the GTO is...

Any insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
dayj1

Re: LS OEM Accessory Drive Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modges'66 View Post
I am under the impression that GM makes 3 different offset accessory drive set-ups for the LS engine.
A short set-up (close to the engine) for Corvette/Cadillac CTS-V, a mid set-up if you will (3/4" increased distance from engine) for F-Body & GTO, and a long Set-up (1.5" increased distance from engine) for the trucks.

My questions are:
Which offset set-up does the Caprice use?
Which offset set-up does the Trailblazer SS use?

I am trying to determine if the Caprice or GTO uses the same accessory drive set-up as the Trailblazer SS, as they both have a A/C bracket that incorporates both an idler pulley and a tensioner pulley, where the TBSS only has a tensioner pulley.

I constantly throw the A/C belt on my TBSS during hard 1-2 shifts, and have read that this is why GM added the idler pulley to the newer A/C brackets.
the GM part No. to the newer improved bracket for the Caprice that I am referring to is #92252927.
I have no idea what the bracket part# for the GTO is...

Any insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated!
The TBSS uses the truck belt spacing. I wasn't sure about the Caprice, but I looked up the balancer part number and it matches the Corvette one. So, I'd say Corvette spacing on that one.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:02 PM   #3
Modges'66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayj1 View Post
The TBSS uses the truck belt spacing. I wasn't sure about the Caprice, but I looked up the balancer part number and it matches the Corvette one. So, I'd say Corvette spacing on that one.
Wow, I really appreciate the quick response!...But not necessarily the answer. LOL!
It seems as though I will need to try to find an alternative cure to my A/C belt throwing problems. Any ideas are welcome!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:31 AM   #4
NC_John

Quote:
Wow, I really appreciate the quick response!...But not necessarily the answer. LOL!
It seems as though I will need to try to find an alternative cure to my A/C belt throwing problems. Any ideas are welcome!
I don't know if or how well this works but I am keeping it in mind for my 6.0/T56 build currently in progress. (And you said you are throwing the AC belt? The little secondary belt?)

http://www.tickperformance.com/katec...elt-tensioner/

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
Modges'66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
I don't know if or how well this works but I am keeping it in mind for my 6.0/T56 build currently in progress. (And you said you are throwing the AC belt? The little secondary belt?)

http://www.tickperformance.com/katec...elt-tensioner/
Yes, I am throwing the little secondary belt, but if it happens to get caught in the main belt, everything gets wrapped-up!
The tensioner that you showed is for the main serpentine belt...not much help with this.

After the 1st time that this happened, I replaced the tensioner for the secondary belt thinking that this would cure my problems, but it didn't.
Now I have read that the spring force in the aftermarket tensioners isn't great enough....So, I don't know what to believe.

I do know that I just put a new motor in this vehicle with very good cam & top of the line valve train, then broke-in the motor properly for 5000 mi. added A CAI, & LS7 MAF, and had it tuned, but I cant even get on it good without throwing the A/C belt...
If I back out of it for the 1-2 shift all is good, but how much fun is that?
Old 01-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #6
NC_John

Quote:
Yes, I am throwing the little secondary belt, but if it happens to get caught in the main belt, everything gets wrapped-up!
The tensioner that you showed is for the main serpentine belt...not much help with this.

After the 1st time that this happened, I replaced the tensioner for the secondary belt thinking that this would cure my problems, but it didn't.
Now I have read that the spring force in the aftermarket tensioners isn't great enough....So, I don't know what to believe.

I do know that I just put a new motor in this vehicle with very good cam & top of the line valve train, then broke-in the motor properly for 5000 mi. added A CAI, & LS7 MAF, and had it tuned, but I cant even get on it good without throwing the A/C belt...
If I back out of it for the 1-2 shift all is good, but how much fun is that?
I am relocating the compressor on mine up top to clear my frame and in doing so ditch the secondary belt and can run the Katech part. Might be your only option.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:42 PM   #7
ls1nova71

I get the feeling this is a new problem, since the new engine was installed? The TBSS engine uses the same compressor bracket as the trucks do and I have never heard of anyone having problems throwing that belt, so to me it almost sounds like something is misaligned. I would double check that everything is straight and tight. Does the crank pulley wobble any at all?

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote