The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
jmsaunders

My Daily Driver Build

I decided to make a build thread instead of making random post as I work on my new truck. It's going to be a challenging build most likely as it's my actual daily driver so I have to do most of the work on the weekends until I get finished with my 54.

With that in mind here’s what I’m thinking and wanted to run it by the forum here to see if I’m on or off track. My 72 has an inline 6 and I’d like to keep it. But to help improve it’s performance a bit so that it’s a better daily driver that I can throw on the highway I’m thinking about doing the following.

Replace intake with an Offy dual intake manifold.

Run Carter Weber carburetors from Langdon Stovebolt (description from website: These progressive two (2) barrell carburetors are New, not rebuilt, with electric choke (sold in pairs only). These carbs were originally used on a very small (97 cu.in.) engine and are not recommended for single carb usage, but are an excellent choice for dual carb setups.)

Run cast iron dual exhaust headers from stovebolt.

Replace TH350 with 700R4

Replace points system with HEI

Since my son’s Nova has a 250 also I’m thinking I’ll ‘borrow’ his power steering pump brackets and run them by a machine shop and have a set fab’d up and convert to power steering. I also plan to have the steering column rebuilt as it feels a little ‘loose’ to me.

For the front suspension I plan to replace the pinion rods, clean up the control arms. To lower it in the front I’m thinking drop spindles and drop springs (this will be well off in the future as I just replaced springs and want to see how it sets with just the drop spindles first). Shocks have alreadly been replaced but I'll probably add a sway bar up front and replace the ball joints when I replace the spindles.

Rear suspension will most likely use lowering blocks and possibly bags. I don’t want to go air all around from what drewskiren had to say in his post “I need a smoother ride”. While I'm back there I plan to replace the shocks and add an adjustable panhard bar.

So these are the beginning plans I have for 7-T-Duece. As much as I really want to just in and start adding ‘creature comforts’, I think its best I tackle the list above (will surely keep me busy enough weekends as I can’t let the truck be down for to long at a time being my actual daily driver).

If anybody has suggestions for which products to use or think of something I missed please let me know.

54 Chevy 3100 5.3/4L60E (Plan to make summer daily driver)
54 Chevy 3600 "Destiny" future project (Plan to build for my daughter)
72 C10 current daily driver
74 Nova Son's DD (His 1st car, we had to start him off right)
00 F*rd Expedition wife's DD (She's the trader in the house and doesn't drive a GM )
jmsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Rob H.

Re: My Daily Driver Build

Looking forward to updates and pics! Mine was my daily driver until the 307 blew up, and it snowballed from there! LOL
1952 Super "A" Farmall (Grandfather's)
Rob H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Billett

Sounds like a great start to me. Mine has been my daily driver for a month or so now, and I love it. Looking forward to pics!
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
stfinney

Not easy working on your DD I am sure. I have a list of parts for mine and never have put them on yet, lol. I feel for you and wish you the best and I look forward to watching your builld!

1972 C10 Custom LWB, 3-speed automatic, 350 bored .060 over, Vortec heads, Crane Energizer 260 H10 Cam
My Beater/Work in Progress
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502044
stfinney is offline   Reply With Quote