The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #1
AllenF

Morphing a 1956 Chevy 3200 onto a 2001 Tahoe Chassis

Hi Folks,

I will try to put up only relevant photos in this string. I am well into a Frankensteinian project to morph together my 56 big window 3200 onto a Tahoe chassis. The objective is to keep it looking completely stock on the outside and use as much of the Tahoe equipment as possible, including air bags, HVAC and wiring. I plan to tow a 1966 Airstream 24' behind it.

I tried for years to find a new (under 10k miles) roll over Tahoe at auction but prices just went crazy on them. And since I am running out of time to do the project I settled on a Tahoe with a tired motor and blown up 4L60E. So I just bought the thing and tore the engine and tranny out and rebuilt those myself, put them back in and test drove it (all's well). Then, I ripped the thing apart and cut the floor out of the Tahoe and started fitting.

Lots of engineering involved, patch welding, etc. It turns out that the 3200 with the long bed allowed me to cut the bed length to fit the wheel base just right. I had to raise the floor a bit on the bed, and I decided to go with a new steel floor as opposed to the wood.

Any suggestions welcome.

Allen
Attached Images

AllenF is offline   Reply With Quote