The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #226
ERASER5

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

http://www.daystarweb.com/productlis...ger+Bump+Stops

They have great poly bushing kits too.

(fixed my linc)

Last edited by ERASER5; 09-18-2010 at 10:49 PM.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #227
justcuz

Looking great! Next time you want to check your shock travel just wrap some tie wraps around the shock shaft, then go run your test track and when you get back home you see where your maximum compression is. If the tie wrap is gone you topped out the shock.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:56 AM   #228
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985-GMC View Post
Holy moses this was an awesome build! You have awesome attention to detail, im a lot like that but not sure as much you! It looks great man, Love the original paint too.
Wow, thanks!! Yeah, I don't get too many compliments on the paint. I couldn't guess how many times I have heard somebody tell me "Man, this will be a cool truck once you get it painted." I think it is pretty cool as it sits, but that is just my opinion. When this thing gets run through the scrub brush with the fingernails down the chalkboard sound I do not cringe in the least. It's a truck and it is built to be used as such. Now mind you I am awed by the guys on here who have the super-beautiful trucks, but I could not bring myself to use a truck like those to do what I do in this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMc View Post
Gotta link on the Daystar's Stinger Bump Stop Kit?
Mick
Give this a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
Looking great! Next time you want to check your shock travel just wrap some tie wraps around the shock shaft, then go run your test track and when you get back home you see where your maximum compression is. If the tie wrap is gone you topped out the shock.
If you look real close at the shaft in the last pic, you will see a zip tie on it. I have zip ties on everything right now. Front shocks, rear shocks, bump stops all of it. Since I have done that, I have found that my front shocks that were transplanted from the rear are not a fuzz too long. So, it looks like another pair of shocks is in my immediate future.....swell.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #229
mosesburb
I had a V-8

I had done the window/vent window weatherstripping on the drivers side awhile back and with this and that it took all day, so I had been successfully putting off doing the passenger side since. Well, I figured today is the day. The only problem is the passenger door has an issue that the driver door did not. It has some minor damage around the upper hinge area:

I figured, no problem half an hour to get the door off, an hour of welding, half an hour back on, boom, done. Simple. Right. As soon as I grabbed one of the upper hinge bolts and it turned but didn't loosen up, I knew I was in for a long day.

I finally got the upper hinge bolts out. One hole was completely galled out. Then the fun started. Unfortunately I did not photo-document my misery, so a quick blurb will have to suffice. The pic I really wish I would have taken was when I cleaned the area to start welding and found the whole are was spider-webbed with cracks--a few pretty good ones. Oof, the day just got a bit longer. Now, most of that big perimeter crak in the pic I did with the MIG, while most of the smaller spider-web cracks I did with TIG. I used over three feet of 1/16" TIG rod welding up all those little cracks. I probably would not have paid any attention to it other than I had to grab a fresh piece before I was done and thought holy cow, that seems like a lot of filler for some sheetmetal cracks. All of this welding ended up taking a few hours with all of the welding and cooling and welding and cooling and welding....

Anyways, I got it done and welded up the galled hole to drill a new hole and tap some fresh threads into it. That all went well until I couldn't fine my 3/8-24 tap. Tore the place up--couldn't find it. Called a neighbor, he couldn't remember who he lent his set to. Finally ended up putting everything away just so I could go to the store and buy another one to finish my day.

So I got the tap and cut the threads and blew some paint on it. It turned out pretty good. I did not get carried away grinding down the welds that were not under the hinge as I figured the less heat and thinning of the base metal the better.

This is what I ended up with:

It works very well now and only has one thud when it closes--not two.

So, after all of that, I ran out of time/gumption to do the window weatherstrip. Probably tomorrow.....
Old 09-20-2010, 01:16 AM   #230
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Two days in a row of progress. Wow. Well today went a helluva lot better than yesterday. All I had to do was pull the glass and the vent window asm out of the door and re-weatherstrip them and put a different piece of glass back in (while it sat in my driveway for years, somewhere along the way, I either ground some steel too close or welded too close and got some sparks or spatter on it and pitted the glass).

Everything came apart great except the lower screws for the vent window behind the door panel. Sometime in this truck's past someone put large sheetmetal screws instead of 1/4-20 screws. One of these sheetmetal screws took the welded nut with it, so I did have to do some welding today. Anyways, everything went very well compared to yesterday and within a couple hours I was done. Wow, this leaves me time for another problem.

Yesterday, after I got the door hung and adjusted, I had something to repair in the kitchen and I needed some small sheetmetal screws for it. My boy and I jump in the truck and head over to the store to pick up an assortment pack of them. We get what we need and go back out to the truck and hit the key to have nothing happen. Nothing. No click, no rrrrr, nothing. Now, I know I was getting power down there because I could hear a relay that triggers bulb checks in the dash during cranking, cycling with the key. Well, WTF?? Just then a truckload (literally) of dudes pull up next to me and ask if it has a diesel motor in it. I said it did when I parked it, but it has nothing in it now. The driver offered a jump start, but I told him the batteries were fine. I said I was going to go in and buy a hammer. He said he had one and let me use it. I had my boy hit the key when I told him to and just barely touched the starter with the hammer and it cranked right up. We chatted for a few and I gave them the hammer back and we headed home. We went out to dinner after that and it worked fine--no problems at all.

Well, ironically, the last time I ordered from Geno's I ordered a heavy duty contact kit for the starter for no reason. I figured if I needed one I'd have one. Well how about that. Now all I have to do is find it. I actually walked right to it and after my easy day, I dropped the starter out and swapped the contacts. The replacements (left) are substantially larger than the originals (right):

The kit also comes with a replacement plunger that has a heavier contact ring and a stouter spring on it. I got it all put back together and reinstalled. It seems to work fine, but it was only that one time that it didn't so I hope that is what the problem was. We'll see. I did install a hammer under the seat, just in case.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #231
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Your MPG... I was thinking about your city vs hwy average... are you running 3.73s? I can see how your RPMs with 3.73s on the highway could decrease your MPG average. With 3.55s in a 96 5sp from Colo to Cali we averaged 18.

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #232
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Your MPG... I was thinking about your city vs hwy average... are you running 3.73s? I can see how your RPMs with 3.73s on the highway could decrease your MPG average. With 3.55s in a 96 5sp from Colo to Cali we averaged 18.
What kind of engine speed were you running??

I would have preferred to go with the 3.55s, but that would have necessitated a D70 swap as 3.73 is the highest easily obtainable matching gearset for a D60 and 14 bolt full floater and seeing as how I already had a Detroit in this one, it won the contest.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #233
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

2500-2800 I think... it has been over a year. It was my friends truck. We had to tear the tailhousing off the tranny in a Wally-world parking lot to fix 5th gear on that trip. That was after he called me at 2 in the morning from denver cuz he had no forward gears. What a trip that was.

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #234
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Wow, that is a whole lot faster than mine spins. I think at 65 I am at about 1750 and at 75 I think I am around 2000ish. I could be mistaken on the engine speed at 75 though.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #235
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I just wanted to thank you for my new problem! I'm now searching for a 68-72 burban to build a cummins powered family ride.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:44 PM   #236
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I just wanted to thank you for my new problem! I'm now searching for a 68-72 burban to build a cummins powered family ride.
LOL, don't give me credit for that one until it is done!! On that note I hope it takes alot less time than mine took. Hey, what about the Longhorn?? Is that still a go??
Old 09-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #237
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Yeah, it's still a go. But I have really thought about using my frame from the longhorn for the burb I found. But I can't bring myself to do that since the longhorn is so close. I'll get the Longhorn drivable and then get the burb. I'm sure it will be a couple months before I get a burb anyhow.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #238
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
Well, no real big update right now, but I filled the tank on Thursday and got a new high mileage to report....

20.88!! Yessir, almost 21mpg in town, stop and go, front and rear A/C cranked, fan clutch on, rush hour--pretty much everything that will kill mileage numbers and I got 20.88.
Woo-hoo!!
Well that was wierd. After this tank I got 15.11 out of the next tank and 16.49 out of the one after that. The conditions they were achieved under were no different from the high mileage tank and I always buy my fuel from the same vendor. I could tell from the gauge that fuel was being burned faster than previous, but I was not driving it any differently or anywhere differently--everything same-same. After the second tank I was beginning to wonder what was up as a five mile drop in mileage is quite significant and could indicate a component issue or something failing.

So this last tank of fuel which ended today, seemed to burn at a slower rate than the two previous tanks. I filled up on the way home and lo-and-behold, I was rewarded with a new high mileage--21.66!! Almost 22mpg!! I felt that this was going to be a good one, but I am wondering what was up with the last two as they are complete anomalies in regards to previous mileages of late. Strange. Anyways, I have a new record and I am liking it. Hopefully it will be followed by a similar tank next time. We'll see.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:02 AM   #239
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Seems like I need to get started on my 68 Burb conversion. I wonder if that's why I just bought a 91 dodge with a cummins last week???

I'll be using your thread as examples of how to cram it in the engine bay.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #240
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrollin70gmc View Post
Seems like I need to get started on my 68 Burb conversion. I wonder if that's why I just bought a 91 dodge with a cummins last week???

I'll be using your thread as examples of how to cram it in the engine bay.
Yeah, I wish I had a thread like this to reference when I did mine .
What kind of Dodge did you get??

Good luck with it. Hey, isn't yours the one with the Toroflow in it??
Old 10-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #241
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Yep, i run a toroflow right now, but it won't start when warm. I have to use ether or let it sit for 2 hours to fire it up on its own and it's nearly impossible to find parts for it, so it's a bad attempt at a daily driver, I normally ride my motorcycle now (until my nova's done in a week or two).

Anyways, I bought an intercooled 91 dodge 3/4 4x4 with a 5 speed, 205 t/c, and dana 60 front. So all that is being swapped into the burb and the toroflow will be retired to be put in something else. I might be PMing you for more info on how certain stuff fit, but I think having the entire donor truck will make some things easier. The dodge is beat to hell but only has 170k on it (ranch truck) and runs great, I might turn up the fuel screw and some other small mods for more fun, but not too much. If I remember right yours came with a banks kit, if you had to spend the money on it, would you add that in my situation?
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
Old 10-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #242
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Yep, i run a toroflow right now, but it won't start when warm. I have to use ether or let it sit for 2 hours to fire it up on its own and it's nearly impossible to find parts for it, so it's a bad attempt at a daily driver, I normally ride my motorcycle now (until my nova's done in a week or two).
Sounds like the I/P is going south. That sucks!! I like that thing--alot. Yeah, practicality is borderline nil, but it gets big points for uniqueness and the cool-o-meter is almost off the scale in my opinion.

Quote:
Anyways, I bought an intercooled 91 dodge 3/4 4x4 with a 5 speed, 205 t/c, and dana 60 front. So all that is being swapped into the burb and the toroflow will be retired to be put in something else.
Good unit to buy. All that junk will swap right over. The spring perches are off by about 1/2", but the springs move enough to accomodate it with no issues. Swap the rear diff too while you are at it. I would like to see some more pics of the Toroflow both in and out of the truck (and of course whatever it ends up going into).

Quote:
I might be PMing you for more info on how certain stuff fit, but I think having the entire donor truck will make some things easier. The dodge is beat to hell but only has 170k on it (ranch truck) and runs great, I might turn up the fuel screw and some other small mods for more fun, but not too much. If I remember right yours came with a banks kit, if you had to spend the money on it, would you add that in my situation?
Do not touch ANYTHING on that I/P until it is in the truck and running. You don't want to have any additional problems to deal with. Get the bugs worked out then jack with it.

As far as the Banks kit goes--NO!! The biggest selling point of that $2500.00 kit was the intercooler. You already have one that will work just fine. The kit did come with a smaller, wastegated turbo exhaust housing. Those early 5.9's had large hot sides on the turbo so they took forever to spool--this helped that. With the technology we have today (and ebay), you can get a different turbo or a different hot side for cheap money. There was a 3" mandrel bent exhaust system in the kit, but I just used the downpipe off the turbo and made my own 3.5" system from there out. On top of that, I don't think Banks services that kit anymore.

Start a build thread. Post your ideas etc, take lots of pics. I don't want to be the only guy with a Cummins Suburban thread--misery loves company!!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:22 AM   #243
eagleuh1

Thats an awesome suburban. Makes me wish I had put a Cummins in my 68 C20 instead of the 5.3.I got about 11 mpg hauling a travel trailer and motorcycle from Arkansas here. I'm in Tonapah working the outage at Palo Verde. Love the pics of the scenery. I'm hoping to make it that way on my days off. Be on the bike and following more traveled roads than you though. Great stories. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see the burb in passing someday.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:49 AM   #244
eagleuh1

You didn't happen to paint that thing a sunburst orange metallic color and put a black pipe roofrack on it did you? I saw 1 going west on 10 near Buckeye the other day. Nice looking ,but only saw it for a few seconds. Also saw a nice gold C20 with gold topper up in Phoenix. Got some nice ones around here.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #245
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
Thats an awesome suburban. Makes me wish I had put a Cummins in my 68 C20 instead of the 5.3.I got about 11 mpg hauling a travel trailer and motorcycle from Arkansas here. I'm in Tonapah working the outage at Palo Verde. Love the pics of the scenery. I'm hoping to make it that way on my days off. Be on the bike and following more traveled roads than you though. Great stories. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see the burb in passing someday.
Thanks, glad you liked them!! Hey, 11mpg really isn't much to cough at. The weight of the truck and the trailer along with wind resistance figured in, it sounds pretty good to me.

Quote:
You didn't happen to paint that thing a sunburst orange metallic color and put a black pipe roofrack on it did you? I saw 1 going west on 10 near Buckeye the other day. Nice looking ,but only saw it for a few seconds. Also saw a nice gold C20 with gold topper up in Phoenix. Got some nice ones around here.
Nooooo, no paint!! I don't think I recall seeing the one you are referencing around here. Yeah, there are definitely some nice examples of these trucks around here. So what is the outage at Palo Verde??
Old 10-04-2010, 03:43 AM   #246
eagleuh1

Sorry.Palo Verde Nuclear Plant outage. Putting new fuel rods in so it can run another 18 months and run your AC, fridge lights....
Old 10-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #247
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Sorry.Palo Verde Nuclear Plant outage. Putting new fuel rods in so it can run another 18 months and run your AC, fridge lights....
That sounds a bit more interesting that what I do.

I didn't get much time to work on it this weekend, but I did manage to get out on Sunday and got a couple things done. The upper shock mounts I installed have created a couple head scratchers so far. The biggest being the shock length. The shocks I had on the front were too long with the stock mounting and too short with the new shock mounting. I swapped the rears to the front and they looked good at first, but it didn't take long to realize they were too long. Great, buy some new parts to replace new parts. I bought some shorter shocks for it, but the newer design of the RS9000s are larger in diameter than the ones that I bought way back when. This creates a problem with the lower shock mount on the driver side. With the older design RS9000 shocks and the relocated upper mount, the draglink would just miss the bottom of the shock in right turn conditions. WIth the thicker body of the new RS9000 shock it was no longer a miss, but a full-on hit. After some playing around with angles and dimensions, I ended up lengthening the lower mount about 1/2" for clearance. No big deal, but it turned a twenty minute shock change into a three hour ordeal once I got done with it.

This shows the difference in body girth:

This shows the final mounting, but I forgot to take a pic of the lower bracket: (the strange color is the bright sun bouncing off of the orange truck, reflecting off of a nearly white house into the wheel well area)

Once upon a time, when I first built this thing, I ran hoses off of each vent nipple up to the underhood area. (front diff, trans, t/case, rear diff, fuel tank)

While they were run up there, I had never finished the install. I had bought the vent caps back then but never installed them. I had some grandiose plans of how I was going to mount them, but I figured if I kept waiting to do that, I would never get them done. That being the case, I used a few zip-ties and got the job done in a lees-than-grandiose style:

Somewhere in the passing years, one of the caps got pilfered for another project, so I still need one to finish it--but hey, it's much closer.

Yet another problem that the upper shock mounts created was I had to remove the grid heater solenoids for cold starting. Not really a problem at all when the thermometer doesn't see the south side of 95, but there is a possible adventure in the near future that just might require the use of them. That being the case, they need to go back in. I really like the original mounting location and bracket, but the bracket was not going to work. I figured out that I could put them back in the same vicinity, but a new bracket is in order. So after dinner I got back out there and whipped up this little gem:

The pic isn't so good, but I was in a rush to get it done before my family duties came to call. I mounted it up and was able to reuse the wiring and cables from the original mounting configuration.

It fits good, is very stout and doesn't grab your eye where it is at.

I did take some time and crawl around with a grease gun and I also installed some zip-ties here and there for good measure.

So, not a whole lot of progress, but with each little thing here and there, my to-do list is steadily shrinking.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #248
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Vents and grid heater look good, never thought of moving vents but it now makes sense if it ever sees mud/water or snow and they're mounted there on many military vehicles.

I'll start my own thread when I get up and moving on the project, just trying to get necessary parts right now.

Here's a link to my burb and the toroflow I think you posted in it. Anyways, I just had an epiphany about my toroflow motor. Wouldn't it look good in a deep green truck laying frame? All cleaned up and back in a GMC where it belongs... Maybe... (Don't look at my avatar for clues)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=402906
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
Old 10-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #249
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
.Anyways, I just had an epiphany about my toroflow motor. Wouldn't it look good in a deep green truck laying frame? All cleaned up and back in a GMC where it belongs... Maybe... (Don't look at my avatar for clues)
Absolutely. Just so it ends up back in something. The motor is too cool and looks too good to end up in a scrap heap. It is getting pretty hard to do something unique to one of these trucks, but that would be pretty hard to beat for uniqueness right there.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #250
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Well, kind of a sad update today (for me anyways).

Sometime this afternoon a huge storm blew through the valley and hit where I work really hard. It brought torrential rain and golf ball sized hail. I got back about an hour and a half after it finished and there was still four inches of it in shady spots in the parking lot.

Needless to say, vehicles got pretty destroyed--panels destroyed, mirrors busted off, headlights busted. There are two brand new Ford trucks in the lot that got banged up pretty bad. I thought mine might fare well because of it being made of old, thick metal, but no such luck. The hood looks like a golf ball, the windshield is destroyed, and it is kind of hard to tell, but it looks like the roof got it pretty good too.

The busted up windshield scattered little shards of glass all over the interior of the truck. The wind blew so hard and the rain was so torrential that it blew right past the door seals on all three doors and soaked the seats. So, not only did I get to drive home looking through a busted up windshield at a dented hood, I got to do it sitting on a wet seat that was covered in glass.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.