The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
lexadmn

Has anyone installed headers on their medium duty?

I need to install exhaust on my truck.

I have a nasty exhaust leak from a broken flange on one of the exhaust manifolds.
I have not had much luck finding a replacement manifold locally and decided installing headers is an easy way to go.

When I look for headers at some of the common websites, I can find nothing that includes any of the medium duty trucks. Am I looking in the wrong places?
I have searched many of the manufacturers as well, but to no avail. C30 is as large as they go.

I have read on this forum that pickup headers “should” fit, but I would prefer to know before ordering if possible. I have a bad habit of - if something I bought does not work or fit, toss it aside and never return it. Wife calls it "lazy". I dunno what she is talking about.

Many years ago (35 years ago??), I had a 72 C60 with a small block. It threw a rod and I replaced with a 454.
At that time, I had no problems finding a set of headers for that truck but I don’t remember where I ordered them from. But it was not challenging at the time.

Today, I have a 76 C60 with a 366 (among others), but can find nothing for any medium duty.

Does anyone know of anyplace to find correct headers?

KC
lexadmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #2
Bigdually

Re: Has anyone installed headers on their medium duty?

The factory installed exhaust on the later model square medium duties was a set of headers. My 89 has them, looks odd to see a set of headers with emissions tubing That's actually one of my next projects, all the emissions garbage is gone from mine, so I want to remove the headers and take off the tubing and plug the holes.

I've seen them for sale, may take some hunting but they're out there.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
Pvmt-Pndr

I have 2 sets of factory manifolds that came off of 427s. I attempted to install a set of long tubes on my truck with no luck and ended up going with a set of block huggers.
Attached Images

Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
Bigdually

Here's the factory ones. VERY similar to the block huggers above, do you remember what huggers you went with Pvmt-Pndr? I'm sure they would be much easier found than the factory type.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
Pvmt-Pndr

I can't locate the exact ones I went with but they're ss and didn't break the bank. I did have to clearance one of the tubes on the passageners side slightly, it hit the frame rail. I built my own exhaust from scratch using a diy kit I bought so I was open to using any headers that actually fit because I could make anything work from that point on.
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote