The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
MidLifer

Belts with short water pump

Hi - finally getting some progress on my 50, which has been a years-long project. I am using a 1960 235, so I bought the short water pump a while back from Patrick's. I'm also updating the alternator to a modern 12V job, and putting Vintage air in.

Looking at the pulleys, the crank pulley, alternator and A/C pulleys are wider than the water pump pulley. How is this most easily solved for so I can belt these up and get this engine running?
Attached Images

MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:10 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Belts with short water pump

After looking at what Davis Speed equipment offers https://davisspeedequipment.com/prod...54-water-pump/

I am going to say that the issue here is that you have too many mix and match parts from too many different sources and they don't jive with each other.

If you can get Patrick's on the phone and get a straight answer out of them you had better buy some power ball tickets because you are among the rare of the rare lately. Word is that they have closed the doors or aren't answering the phone.

I'm thinking that that is a pulley for a 3/8 belt like this one https://www.ecklersearlychevy.com/ch...1953-1954.html
A search for the correct belts for a 60 235 be it car or truck on O'Reilly's says that they take a 7/16 belt.
The whole kit from Davis speed equip uses 3/8 belts https://davisspeedequipment.com/prod...54-water-pump/

The best answer I can offer is to take your water pump pulley, some measuring tools and head to your favorite do it yourself junk yard an start looking for that pulley that will work. Most rigs from the mid 50's up into the mid 80's with rear wheel drive had one of about three bolt patterns for the pulley and fan.

The other thing may be to dig though the chrome pulley pages on Speedway or Summit and see if you can find one with the correct measurements.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:14 AM   #3
mr48chev

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/...25-4-596-30502

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
_Ogre

honestly i don't think it will matter. they are made of rubber after all. the 1/8" mismatch equals 1/16" per belt misalignment.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #5
MidLifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
honestly i don't think it will matter. they are made of rubber after all. the 1/8" mismatch equals 1/16" per belt misalignment.
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Think I’ll just try getting a belt and see if it works. If it doesn’t work then I’ll have to search out a water pump with a wider belt groove.

Oh, and I’ve heard that Patrick took ill a year or so back and is no longer doing business.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:13 PM   #6
mr48chev

The pump they show here is basically what I have done with a couple of them that I put 235 engines in. One did a 10,000+ 3 month road trip right out of the box with no heating issues.

Feedback on running the early pump with the adapter can cause overheating problems as they didn't call the 216 hot water sixes without good reason.

A miss matched belt is just asking for a belt failure on the road.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:16 AM   #7
dsraven

keep a spare belt and a wrench to change it out.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #8
MidLifer

Update - I had a 3/8 belt in one of my parts boxes that turns out to be a good length for water pump, crank, A/C (Gates 7400) and test fit it last night. Seems like it will work. The Vintage Air folks must have been thinking ahead about 3/8" belts. And I must have bought the belt way back when.

I measured the length of A/C to Alternator loop (32") and matched up a Gates belt number (7324) then cross-referenced it to NAPA (NBH 257324) and my local one has it in stock. Next time I'm out of the house for another necessary trip I'll pick it up. I found a slightly longer belt in my parts collection which will work for the test fire, but it puts the alternator near the end of the adjuster.

Waiting for a few fuel line connectors to screw into the fuel pump and tank then I should have everything I need to test fire the 235.

I think the narrow V of the fuel pump pulley threw me when I looked at it the other day. Even the 3/8" belt doesn't fully seat in it. I'll keep an eye on it and make sure the belt stays seated.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
_Ogre

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote