The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
alden

finally got the wiring back in, ballast resistor smoked a bit (59 fleetside)

Quick question. I finally got all the wiring back in after M&H reworked the wiring for me following my attempt to set my truck on fire

Everything seems to work great, the truck turns over (no gas tank in it now so I can't run it), the headlights, taillights, signals all work but I did notice a small amount of smoke coming out of the new ballast resistor I put in. I did a quick google search and some threads including one from the HAMB said that it was normal for a new ballaster to smoke for a short while. I swapped the new one out with my old one and that too smoked for a few seconds while the ignition was set to on (following turning the engine over for a few seconds) but then the smoke went away and has not returned.

From those threads I got the impression it was normal for a new ballast resistor to smoke but why did my old one smoke for a few seconds too? Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help you guys have provided in the past, it is/was much appreciated!

Also of note, nothing else was smoking anywhere on the truck, just the resistor itself.

Last edited by alden; 04-03-2010 at 10:54 AM.
alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
blackdiesel

Re: finally got the wiring back in, ballast resistor smoked a bit (59 fleetside)

The oils off your hand from handling it, or something like that. You wouldn't want to grab it , it do get hot.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
OrrieG

Re: finally got the wiring back in, ballast resistor smoked a bit (59 fleetside)

Probably smells like a new toaster too. I expect some funny fumes and stuff when I get my repainted engine and new wiring in place too. Other things like the light and ignitions switches have a lot of current running through them too and need to "bake" a little.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
alden

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Probably smells like a new toaster too. I expect some funny fumes and stuff when I get my repainted engine and new wiring in place too. Other things like the light and ignitions switches have a lot of current running through them too and need to "bake" a little.
If it was a Jaguar I would totally have understood, didn't reallize non-british cars did it too
alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
The oils off your hand from handling it, or something like that. You wouldn't want to grab it , it do get hot.
Yep it's a resistor and a resistor is a heater element. Or a heater element is a resistor. And they do get quite hot and burn off anything that might be on them from handling or from the manufacturing process.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote