The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2022, 12:22 PM   #1
697498chevy

1969 C 10 brakes

Drove my old truck this morn for the first time in several weeks . Brakes are always grabby when I first use them after it's sat this long . Have drum brakes all around . Noticed this morn the left front locked up . Always figured it's rust on the drums ? Just curious . Thanks !
697498chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:34 PM   #2
paul blair

Re: 1969 C 10 brakes

My truck had a similar problem, pulled hard to the right. Found the left flexible brake hose was collapsed inside not letting any brake fluid pass and all the pressure going to the right.
paul blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:40 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Leaky wheel cylinder will do that too. On my '70 if I ever have to make a quick right hand turn, all I need to do is hit the brakes hard and let go of the wheel...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:19 PM   #4
697498chevy

Should've said the brakes are fine after the first stop or two . Yeah Paul , my 1974 truck did the same thing . It had front disc brakes . Thanks
Old 06-08-2022, 06:20 PM   #5
Caddylackn

The wheel cylinders could be rusty so the cylinder pistons can't return or the brake hose is blown internally through the liner so it is holding pressure.

When a vehicle sits with moisture in the brake fluid, it can rust things. Brake fluid is hydroscopic so it will absorb moisture from the air and after time degrade your steel parts. Your Master Cylinder cap gasket is supposed to be air tight and the gasket is supposed to accordion down when the fluid level drops so that it does not draw in air. If the fluid is low and the gasket is not stretched down to the level of the brake fluid, replace this gasket as it is allowing air to get to the fluid.

Whatever you find to be the cause of the locked front brake, the whole system will need flushed out and brake fluid replaced. If one brake hose is bad, I would replace all three of them. If one wheel cylinder is bad, the others are not far behind. At least inspect them. Replace the brake fluid with new fluid from an unopened container.

Any uncapped container of brake fluid that has been sitting should be thrown away, since its been absorbing moisture in the air the whole time the cap was off. In a pinch, if you need to use it, you can boil the water out of brake fluid on a stove. It will boil off the water way before the brake fluid will vaporize.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:56 PM   #6
yuccales

All of the above is why I'm doing this. Did the backs last week.
Attached Images

yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:14 AM   #7
Accelo

I would pull the drums. Nothing answers a question better than an visual inspection.
I'm going with GASoline71 "Leaky wheel cylinder will do that too".
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:21 PM   #8
697498chevy

Drove it this morn and the brakes were fine . I'll check the things mentioned and post what I find . Master cylinder is full . Checked my book and I last changed the brake hoses in 2005 . May be time for new hoses ? THANKS everyone !

Last edited by 697498chevy; 06-09-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:39 PM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I think mine are OE from 1970... I should look at changing mine too...

I just did the rear drums last week, and the drums were original to the truck. It's my Dad's 1970 that he bought in 1974 and has 68,000 miles on it.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:09 PM   #10
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I think mine are OE from 1970... I should look at changing mine too...
At least your drums have the adjuster slots..........
Old 06-10-2022, 11:09 AM   #11
Caddylackn

If your replacement drums do not have the adjustment slot, use your original to mark where the window is supposed to go and drill it out. Most of the Chinese or India import drums are not coming with this window.

Without the brake adjustment window, when your brake shoes wear in a nice groove on the drums (which are typically softer than OEM), there will be no way to get the drums back off without backing off the brakes via the brake adjuster wheel. You will have to cut the drums off or drill a hole and try to access the adjuster wheel.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:46 PM   #12
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
If your replacement drums do not have the adjustment slot, use your original to mark where the window is supposed to go and drill it out. Most of the Chinese or India import drums are not coming with this window.

Without the brake adjustment window, when your brake shoes wear in a nice groove on the drums (which are typically softer than OEM), there will be no way to get the drums back off without backing off the brakes via the brake adjuster wheel. You will have to cut the drums off or drill a hole and try to access the adjuster wheel.
You got that right. Did the backs, no problem. Starting the fronts probably tomorrow. Wouldn't have killed them to put the slot in there.