The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
KiDD3

Sub Depth

Anyone care to share their knowledge of how close the back of a sub can be to the enclosure? Some of the shallow mount subs are only roughly an inch difference. I can get the cu. ft. of space I need for my sub by building the box to compensate for the lack of height, but will the sub being to close to the enclosure distort the sound? Thoughts, ideas, rude comments?
Old 10-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
bmrrwolfe
1970 C10

Re: Sub Depth

If you have an inch from the back of your sub to the box you are good.
I have had systems in the my past 3 cars, and have setup numerous friends systems. hardest was doing the wrangler, and i had to grind down the back of a truck box and may have had a 1/4" behind the back of the to the box, as long as its not touch it will be alright.
Biggest thing is the cubic feet of the air space in the box, it will determine the sound quality of the sub.
bmrrwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Sub Depth

My subs have less than a paper thin gap between the magnet and the box. Just so long as the sub isn't actually touching the back of the box, you'll be fine.

The reason that the magnet and box should not touch is because if they do (in theory), the sub won't be COMPLETELY mounted to the box and will cause vibration and distortion and also sound like crap. It will also make it so that the box isn't completely sealed.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote