The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
bassfisher

question on inner fender

Hello, I am needing to replace one of my inner fenders on my 57 chevy truck. I have never done this yet and was wondering if any can tell me if I can just remove inner fender without removing the outer? Also does the core support need to be loosen or removed also? have no motor in truck now so would not be a big deal if needed.Any tips or suggestions in doing this would be most appericated. Thanks
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
Apache

Re: question on inner fender

I cant picture it in my mind (odd for me) ill have to look tomorrow but im almost sure you dont have to loosen the core support. If nobody else replies ill definitly get back to you tomorrow with the correct answer lol.

You should have plenty of room to get the inner out without removing the outer since you have no engine in it at the time.
58 Chevy LWB 235/4spd
76 Chevy Nova 350/TH350 4.88's *10kmiles on "new" engine
79 Chevy 4x4 SWB 350/4spd 3/4 ton
81 Mazda RX7
84 F@!d Mustang
96 F@!d Ranger 2.3L/5spd
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Core support does not have to come out but the fender does have to come off. the outer fender is bolted to the inner fender which is attached to the core support. By the time you unbolt the inner 2 more bolts and the outer is off.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
tony carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr
Core support does not have to come out but the fender does have to come off. the outer fender is bolted to the inner fender which is attached to the core support. By the time you unbolt the inner 2 more bolts and the outer is off.
there is some bolts in the front of thethat are hidden so you have to remove the outer and the inner/outer come off as one hole unit
Old 05-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #5
bassfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony carr
there is some bolts in the front of thethat are hidden so you have to remove the outer and the inner/outer come off as one hole unit
Okay thanks, have another question, does the haedlight assembly stay like it is, just unplugg it or? and does both coming off make it hard to relign?Thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Jebb1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher
Okay thanks, have another question, does the haedlight assembly stay like it is, just unplugg it or? and does both coming off make it hard to relign?Thanks
You can just unplug the headlights and it is not difficult to line up the inners. The outers can be tough to get perfect.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:25 PM   #7
bassfisher

Thanks for the help and advice, got the fender in today. I did not take off the outer as was mentioned, not sure why? Did loosen core support on that side and with a little moving was able to get out an back in. Maybe it was how it was put there in the first place? Had to cut the wires because they did a lousy job, but can put them back and place in loom any way.Have to do a slight cut or grind to let fender to sit down farther is hitting upper a frame and to get bolts holes closer, but looks like that will all, hopefully.It's on now with a few bolts just not all the way. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
tony carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher
Thanks for the help and advice, got the fender in today. I did not take off the outer as was mentioned, not sure why? Did loosen core support on that side and with a little moving was able to get out an back in. Maybe it was how it was put there in the first place? Had to cut the wires because they did a lousy job, but can put them back and place in loom any way.Have to do a slight cut or grind to let fender to sit down farther is hitting upper a frame and to get bolts holes closer, but looks like that will all, hopefully.It's on now with a few bolts just not all the way. Thanks for all the help guys.
good luck