The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2022, 04:19 AM   #26
djolley

Re: Headliner For 1972 Suburban 4X4

Here are some pics of the woody-style headliner install. Still getting my chops down on how to upload to the forum, so I may have to share these in several doses. Thanks for the interest and patience!!

First the materials: 1 x 3 New Zealand select pine strips purchased at Lowes. Lengths in 6, 8 & 10 ft. Whatever I could find that was straight. Ran them thru the table saw to make them 1/2 thick, then beveled/rounded the edges that would be showing (a ton of hand sanding!). Then finished the strips with Minwax Golden Pecan stain and 2 coats of Minwax Helmsman poly. (More sanding!).

Meanwhile: ran a clothesline down the center of the Burb's interior from which to suspend the vinyl headliner material. The material was purchased from Brothers, roughly 6 ft wide and 12 ft long. Seams were already located at every 2 feet to match the spacing of the roof supports. Hung the material over the clothesline to hold it near the the roof, carefully centered L/R and positioned front/rear so the seams matched the roof supports. The pic shows the suspended material, and insulation material (from LMC) mounted on the roof by wedging edges under the roof supports to hold it in place.
Attached Images

djolley is offline   Reply With Quote