The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2023, 06:07 AM   #1
Bunky

Question Steering shaft ?

So I installed a 79 power steering Box on my 67 (originally manual) with 1/4 sspacers

When I put this together it appeared my wheel was off 180 degrees, I centered the wheel and had the truck aligned.. was fine but turned sharp left. but not right and turn signals cancel turning right but not left.. (so after doing some research my original manual gear box shaft was round no flat so the steering shaft could of been on in a different position then the power box.)

So then I relocked the pitman arm as others have done and of course the wheel is still off again and turn signals still don't cancel turning left ..

So I have read about the different rag joints and how some are clocked different so this puts the wheel off 180 degrees.. I don't see a notch on my steering shaft at the steering wheel nut to align the shaft and wheel to original setting.

So is there another way to tell if my steering shaft and wheel are in the proper position before I have it re aligned. To make my turn signals cancel again ?

Last edited by Bunky; 06-21-2023 at 08:45 AM.
Bunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 01:09 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Steering shaft ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
So I installed a 79 power steering Box on my 67 (originally manual) with 1/4 sspacers

When I put this together it appeared my wheel was off 180 degrees, I centered the wheel and had the truck aligned.. was fine but turned sharp left. but not right and turn signals cancel turning right but not left.. (so after doing some research my original manual gear box shaft was round no flat so the steering shaft could of been on in a different position then the power box.)

So then I relocked the pitman arm as others have done and of course the wheel is still off again and turn signals still don't cancel turning left ..

So I have read about the different rag joints and how some are clocked different so this puts the wheel off 180 degrees.. I don't see a notch on my steering shaft at the steering wheel nut to align the shaft and wheel to original setting.

So is there another way to tell if my steering shaft and wheel are in the proper position before I have it re aligned. To make my turn signals cancel again ?
The problem you're having is because the spacers moved the gear box to the left somewhat.. With the gear box centered in it's turn count and in the straight ahead position, in order for the center link to attach to the pitman arm, The wheels have to be turned slightly to the left. They can be brought back to the straight ahead position by shortening one tie rod and lengthening the other. With this arrangement, you will always have more turn to one side than the other.

Later frames were notched for clearance for the gear box, but '67s had no such notch.. The proper way to install a PS gear box such as yours would be to clearance the frame so the box can be mounted flat against the frame..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 01:19 PM   #3
Bunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
The problem you're having is because the spacers moved the gear box to the left somewhat.. With the gear box centered in it's turn count and in the straight ahead position, in order for the center link to attach to the pitman arm, The wheels have to be turned slightly to the left. They can be brought back to the straight ahead position by shortening one tie rod and lengthening the other. With this arrangement, you will always have more turn to one side than the other.

Later frames were notched for clearance for the gear box, but '67s had no such notch.. The proper way to install a PS gear box such as yours would be to clearance the frame so the box can be mounted flat against the frame..
I understand the issue with the notch, and the spacers, this is why I repositioned the idler are to accommodate for this.. ans put the gear box back on center.. my issue is that my turn signals are not cancelling. So I need to know how to reset my shaft to original position from the factory....

My original box had a round I put shaft so the rag joint could go on in any position..my power box has a flat and somewhere in the conversion the wheel was no longer in the corrects spot. So now I would like to go back to square one and make things normal again....

Moving the box 1/4" back is not going to fix this..

Thanks for your reply
Old 06-21-2023, 02:03 PM   #4
70STOVEBOLT

Turn signal not cancelling is likely a broken spring in the turn signal switch. I cannot offer any advice on the other issue though.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 02:08 PM   #5
Bunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
Turn signal not cancelling is likely a broken spring in the turn signal switch. I cannot offer any advice on the other issue though.
Thanks but the switch is brand new and this issue has only happened since I swapped the steering components... My 67 steering shaft is splined on both ends and apparently with the box having a round input and the steering column as well it could of went to get her how ever but when I put the gear box with the flat spot on the input it shut something out of line. So now I need to figure out how to line things back up.
Old 06-21-2023, 02:14 PM   #6
pjmoreland

I agree with RustyPile that the best thing to do is to add the notch in your frame.

Here's how to align the steering wheel with your steering gearbox. Detach the Pitman arm from your gearbox. Then you can then see how many turns of the steering wheel it takes to go from one extreme to the other. Then divide that number of turns by 2 and turn back that far from one extreme to find center of the gearbox. So, for example, if it's 3-1/4 turns from one extreme to the other, then turn the steering wheel back 1-5/8 turns from one extreme. Remove your steering wheel at that position and reinstall it so that it is straight. Retest once your steering wheel is reinstalled to make sure the steering wheel still turns the same number of turns from center in either direction. Then reinstall your Pitman arm (should only go on in one position due to one tooth missing) and get your alignment readjusted.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 02:21 PM   #7
pjmoreland

Oh, and as 70STOVEBOLT suggested, check the canceling spring while your steering wheel is off. You can spin the canceling cam by hand with the steering wheel off to see what's going on. I had a reproduction turn signal switch in my '89 K1500 that wouldn't cancel in one direction due to the hole for the lower (left turn) spring being drilled in the wrong spot. I drilled a new hole for it to fix the problem. It took me a couple of tries to get the hole in the right location.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 02:30 PM   #8
Bunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
Oh, and as 70STOVEBOLT suggested, check the canceling spring while your steering wheel is off. You can spin the canceling cam by hand with the steering wheel off to see what's going on. I had a reproduction turn signal switch in my '89 K1500 that wouldn't cancel in one direction due to the hole for the lower (left turn) spring being drilled in the wrong spot. I drilled a new hole for it to fix the problem. It took me a couple of tries to get the hole in the right location.
I will look into this as well. Thanks
Old 06-22-2023, 09:00 AM   #9
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Please post pics of your suspension and steering components.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:51 PM   #10
Bunky

So I think I got the truck as close as it's going to be until the realignment..

I measured the center links off the 67 and the 79, the 79 is about 1 in shorter.

Attached is some pictures of my linkage. The center link is on correct and the wheels and gear box appear to be in line again.
Attached Images