The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #326
Ackattack

Re: Ackattack's Pro touring restoration thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Do you think they will work with stock 15" rims? I need a bit more stopping power, or I need to drive slower!
Nope, more stopping power it is

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Don't know for sure.....I can try mounting up one of my stockers and see.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #327
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Don't know for sure.....I can try mounting up one of my stockers and see.
also what did you pay $249? a friend at Napa auto parts was saying it showed $249 but check out was $349+-?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:04 PM   #328
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokcrln View Post
also what did you pay $249? A friend at napa auto parts was saying it showed $249 but check out was $349+-?

Kevin
lfd inc.

yeah, $249
Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #329
69gmcshorty

the truck is looking great. i might have missed it but what did you end up doing for the fuel filler?? i couldn't see anything on the painted body pics.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #330
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:

Back to the rear.

I got the caliper hats and brackets powder coated. I'm going to get the actual caliper polished. Hope it will be a nice combo.

Sorry to go back so far but I am resurrecting a long dead 67 C-10 I have and wanted to know where you got the rear caliper brackets?
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #331
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gmcshorty View Post
the truck is looking great. i might have missed it but what did you end up doing for the fuel filler?? i couldn't see anything on the painted body pics.
It's poking through the right wheel well in the bed. I don't think I have any pics of it.....I'll try to get a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
Sorry to go back so far but I am resurrecting a long dead 67 C-10 I have and wanted to know where you got the rear caliper brackets?

I got them from a board member (don't remember his name)
Old 11-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #332
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Great work and thanks for the motivation to resurrect my 67 C-10.

The cab was so rusted out and damaged that I cut it up a few years ago and turned it into a truck bed trailer. I found a clean 67 cab and truck arm frame that I can pick up for about $300 this weekend and it got me thinking about putting it back together with a better cab (and an intact frame).

I still have all the parts I took off the rusty C-10 so I can put the better cab and intact frame together pretty easily.

I want to make this one a short bed so I am going to keep my eye out for a used bed assembly to work with. I may cut the existing bed down to turn it into a short bed if I can't find a good deal on a short bed setup.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #333
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
Great work and thanks for the motivation to resurrect my 67 C-10.

The cab was so rusted out and damaged that I cut it up a few years ago and turned it into a truck bed trailer. I found a clean 67 cab and truck arm frame that I can pick up for about $300 this weekend and it got me thinking about putting it back together with a better cab (and an intact frame).

I still have all the parts I took off the rusty C-10 so I can put the better cab and intact frame together pretty easily.

I want to make this one a short bed so I am going to keep my eye out for a used bed assembly to work with. I may cut the existing bed down to turn it into a short bed if I can't find a good deal on a short bed setup.
sounds cool, check out my other build thread "no buck"
Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #334
70chevytruck

What are you using for engine mounts and stands?

70chevytruck
70chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #335
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

awesome build
do you have this running yet
cant wait to see a video
Old 11-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #336
Rokcrln

I am doing the front brakes on LowBuk today with your same calipers and Bear rotors *(cheapest I could get that were drilled/chamfered and slotted) so I should have some feed back later today after a good test drive around the lake

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #337
big_al_71

great job, keep the picts coming Al likes picts and love the torture of you having all the fun

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #338
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

These pics are AWESOME!!! love the build. I cannot wait to get to the point of making progress on my truck.
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #339
Ackattack

Update: Sorry no pics

I've been "plugging" away at the electrical on this thing.

Between a new EZ wiring harness, the stock truck ECM/wiring, and a SA-001 fuse block there are lots of wires to run.

I started by working with the ECM. I removed as many wires as I could and then sorted, unwound, untwisted and rerouted the wires. I got them kinda in place thinking I was going to mount the ECM on the drivers side fender. Well it's a little bulky and didn't look good. So I pulled it all back off and reorganized wires to mount it on the inside of the firewall.

So I tried just velcroing the ECM to the firewall. Well the velcro wouldn't stick to the inside of the firewall (I think a lot of it has to do with it being ~40 degrees in the garage) I then made a mount for it using a scrap of a replacement floor pan. The TAC module also mounts to it.

I have a high hump tranny cover, so I cut a hole in it so the wires ECM wiring is easy to remove if I ever have to.

I'm trying to hide as many wires as possible, and so far I think it's turning out good. I mounted the SA-001 fuse block on the back side of the radiator core support, so the wires to it run from the ECM along the bottom of the firewall, then through the inner and outer fenders (that opening in there).

I still have a few wires to hook up. I'm taking off work on Wednesday for my 30th B-day and plan to spend the day working on the truck.

I'll get some pictures of the maze of wiring.

Oh yes, also I went to hook up the neutral safety switch, and as I'm working the shifter on my van tilt to see which plug is backup lights, and which is the neutral/park switch the tab I had welded to the inner tube of the steering column broke off. So now I have to pull the steering column back out and reweld it. Kinda a pain.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #340
Rokcrln

Sound like progress (weld not your column welding skills J/K) what is the SA-001 fuse block? I just ordered my ECM harness from S&P and had my comp re-flashed, have the drive by wire pedal and mass air flow coming and should be here in the next week or so for my Tahoe build. What EZ system did you go for? I have the Mini 21 (I think) for my son's 51 F1 and it looks like a good system. I think I will go for the full size version for the Tahoe since room is not a big problem like it is in the F1. I have installed dozens of painless systems and this one seems just as good for half the cost.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #341
menace121978

little by little man... i'm planning my wiring also. is the factory harness long enough to run the ecm inside the cab or did you have to extend it?

btw good choice getting everything inside the cab. i'm going to do the same.

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #342
Ackattack

I got this from here:
http://www.currentperformance.com/Ac...iring_acc.html

I have HPtuner already, so I'll flash my own computer. The factory harness wasn't really that difficult the re-work, but it was a little time consuming.

Now that I've done it once, I think I could do it again in about 1/3 of the time.

The factory harness is long enough to mount where I mounted it on the inside of the fire wall. Without a removeable tranny cover, it would be difficult though. You could also mount it under the seat I suppose. Also, Mine is mounted where the factory floor heater would be, but I have an Old air system that doesn't exhaust air there.

I got the EZ 21 wiring kit. I did a painless kit on my 72 GMC, and this seems very similar. A few complaints, observations: It came with the incorrect column plug (not the half moon) and incorect connectors to go in the half moon. Some of the wiring diagrams are a little lacking IMO. The headlight switch diagram shown is not for our trucks, Mine didn't have a dimmer light wire for the guages and a few other things I'm sure. But this is a univeral kit, so this should be expected. The painless kit was a "direct fit" yet I had many of the same "issues" so the EZ kit is definatly the way to go for the money.

Last edited by Ackattack; 11-30-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #343
djracer

time to update the avatar pic
Attached Images

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #344
Rokcrln

Perfect I just ordered 2 of them. 1 for the Hoe and one for my son's F1. His is running a 351W (450hp) w/ chevy TBI and this will really help clean things up.

I have done the harness in the past but when I figure out my time it was just better for me to order one and I had them add to the harness so I can mount the ECM up under the dash for a cleaner look as well. As for tuning I am lucky to just be able to post on this site let alone try and re-program an ECM

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #345
menace121978

thanks Ack! just eased my mind...

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #346
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Perfect I just ordered 2 of them. 1 for the Hoe and one for my son's F1. His is running a 351W (450hp) w/ chevy TBI and this will really help clean things up.

I have done the harness in the past but when I figure out my time it was just better for me to order one and I had them add to the harness so I can mount the ECM up under the dash for a cleaner look as well. As for tuning I am lucky to just be able to post on this site let alone try and re-program an ECM

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Uh, isn't your son like 3?

I guess I have about 2 years to find my son a project Of course the G8 is his (or at least we bought it because of him)
Old 11-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #347
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:

I guess I have about 2 years to find my son a project Of course the G8 is his (or at least we bought it because of him)
My youngest daughter claimed my Camaro when she was 3. I was in the middle of an engine re-fresh job and she was sitting in the drivers seat hanging out with me. I went to check on her and she told me with hands on hips "Daddy, fix my Camaro".
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
Old 11-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #348
Rokcrln

Quote:

He is 2 1/2 but I wanted a vehicle that he remembers from day 1. I want to have it on the road in the next 6-12 months so we can use it for our local car shows and drive in's. It went into a barn in 1960 and came out 3 yrs ago when we bought it from the original owner. It has true patina and was a complete truck until it rolled into my shop. Now it has a tubular MII front end bagged, a T-Bird IRS bagged, C5 auto and a very healthy 351W with EFI. I am going to fix what little rust it has and blend in the patina for now. Then when he is old enough to help me work on it we will chop, stretch, channel and paint it. I just figure if it is on the road it will stay in better shape than if it just sits waiting for him plus this way he will take owner ship in it and maybe not tear it up when the time comes.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Before
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

During
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Current
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Rokcrln; 11-30-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #349
Normy71

Ack
Any chance of getting a picture of your frame where your gas tank will be mounted with out the tank?
Why I ask is I have the same tank and need to do some cutting just wondering what you did?
Also I asked you a while back on the wiring of the tank did you happen to remember what wires do what?
Thank You

Check Out my 71 build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=375158
Normy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #350
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:

I got this from here:
http://www.currentperformance.com/Ac...iring_acc.html

I have HPtuner already, so I'll flash my own computer. The factory harness wasn't really that difficult the re-work, but it was a little time consuming.

Now that I've done it once, I think I could do it again in about 1/3 of the time.

The factory harness is long enough to mount where I mounted it on the inside of the fire wall. Without a removeable tranny cover, it would be difficult though. You could also mount it under the seat I suppose. Also, Mine is mounted where the factory floor heater would be, but I have an Old air system that doesn't exhaust air there.

I got the EZ 21 wiring kit. I did a painless kit on my 72 GMC, and this seems very similar. A few complaints, observations: It came with the incorrect column plug (not the half moon) and incorect connectors to go in the half moon. Some of the wiring diagrams are a little lacking IMO. The headlight switch diagram shown is not for our trucks, Mine didn't have a dimmer light wire for the guages and a few other things I'm sure. But this is a univeral kit, so this should be expected. The painless kit was a "direct fit" yet I had many of the same "issues" so the EZ kit is definatly the way to go for the money.
Do you think a person could use their stock 67-72 harness in conjunction with the Current Performance LS harness? Or is it best to spend the $185 for the EZ-21. I am trying to figure all this stuff out the cheapest/simplest way to go. Thanks,
and PM sent,
Mike
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote