The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #4001
nvrdone

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

brian - good to see you are settling in to the new house. you will be back on the truck in no time.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:28 AM   #4002
mick53

I finished the machining on my timing cover. I amazed myself how well it turned out. I got to play with my new tools and learn a little bit how to use them. Now I have to learn how to TIG cast aluminum. How hard can it be after all I own a racing team. Don't have a running car but I get my trailer Friday. I also received my credentials for the PRI show in Indy in December.
Attached Images

mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:02 AM   #4003
MARTINSR

I can see the top of my tool box for the first time since I moved! WHOOO HOOOOOO!

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #4004
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I can see the top of my tool box for the first time since I moved! WHOOO HOOOOOO!

Brian
Weird. I have that same angle finder and a small magnetic parts tray stuck to the side of my box too.

Is that Rodders Journal pic pretty recent? That's your truck up front, the same color it is today.

Congrats on the progress!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #4005
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
Weird. I have that same angle finder and a small magnetic parts tray stuck to the side of my box too.

Is that Rodders Journal pic pretty recent? That's your truck up front, the same color it is today.

Congrats on the progress!
Yep, the "Dream Truck" was in gray primer just as mine is, only difference they drove it there! LOL

I love the "Man Cave" stuff, putting up my art, my memories. That "PHONE" sign is off a pay phone on my home town street that I used to walk every other night 2-6 miles just a few months ago. They are knocking down the whole block across the street from the theater I went to see Mary Poppins first run with my mom dropping my brother and I off at the ticket booth. The town is changing so much! I was lucky to have gotten that phone sign to put with a bunch of lotto tickets I would buy at the store just a few doors down from that pay phone. The owners business card is there with them. He was the last one there in that block of about 15 businesses that were all closed down to knock it down and build a 5 story apartment building.
The drawing I had a guy do of my dad standing on the seat of his Harley going down main street as I am told he did, the sand paper rack he made for me when I opened my body shop almost 40 years ago! The menu from a guys restaurant I got the day he opened, he used to sweep the floors in my shop as a little kid! Yep, great memories, can't wait to get back to my truck and make some more!

Brian

Old 11-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #4006
evilokc

I haven't really touched the death rattle in 3 weeks. got cold and ive got a lot of crap going on. enjoy looking at it as I walk out of the garage though
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #4007
MARTINSR

I didn't do crap but my brother is getting my motor together!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #4008
DransportGarage

I've been plodding away for the last few weeks, but making progress. Door guts are completely assembled and working, including the emergency cables needed to open the doors in the event of a power outage. The seats are back from the upholsterer. AWESOME job. I dropped off the door panels, console and a few other nic-nacs when I picked them up. I had to move the console and seat over to center the seat exactly on the steering wheel. That turned out to be non-trivial.

I re-fitted the windlace to the headliner. The upholsterer will get that too, to cut off and sew the ends of the windlace now that it's length is known.

The major front end sheet metal is installed, and I have a better idea of the front end wiring.

I've been scuffing and buffing the bed parts the last several days. Bed sides and tubs are ready for install. Plenty more to do.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2019, 03:30 AM   #4009
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
I haven't really touched the death rattle in 3 weeks. got cold and ive got a lot of crap going on. enjoy looking at it as I walk out of the garage though
Ha ha, the best car show in town is always right there in my garage!

I pulled my gas tank out today. I have a leak at the pickup tube I have to fix. It only leaks when it's brim full. But it's supposed to snow this week so I thought if I'm going to disable the truck, it may as well be now.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:16 PM   #4010
MiraclePieCo

Today I put o-rings under the gas tank pickup tube screw heads. While I was in there I investigated why my gas gauge was so far off - I run out of gas with 1/4 showing on the gauge. It was just a simple matter of adjustment. Since it gets dark so early now I didn't have time to reinstall the tank, so I'll do it tomorrow.

Finally got around to changing the clock in my garage:
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 11-25-2019 at 09:26 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #4011
MiraclePieCo

Three days in a row, nobody posting on here but me? Must be because of T-Day this week.

I got my gas tank reinstalled and made a walk-around video of my truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW80C1Pvaj4

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 11-26-2019 at 02:22 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:32 PM   #4012
Kevin_C

bob the interior looks great and love the color. Im stuck on what color for my build as im going to attempt to spray it myself in stages so I figure it will be a solid.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #4013
OrrieG

Quote:
I have been here since mid August, yep, we need to get together.

Got my garage painted and some of my art up, WHOOO HOOOO! Building my shed kit last night kicked my butt, I didn't want to stop had had to.

I'll be back to my truck in not too long.

Brian
Wish I had drywalled my garage, now to much shelving, etc. to move and do it over. Also wish I had put in the toilet and sink, but I was in a hurry...
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:22 PM   #4014
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_C View Post
bob the interior looks great and love the color. Im stuck on what color for my build as im going to attempt to spray it myself in stages so I figure it will be a solid.
Thanks, Kevin, and good luck with yours!
Old 11-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #4015
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Wish I had drywalled my garage, now to much shelving, etc. to move and do it over. Also wish I had put in the toilet and sink, but I was in a hurry...
Mine was drywall when I moved in, the problem is there is no insulation! This is my first winter in Idaho and going out to the garage is pretty tough, we will see, between getting used to it and my space heater, we will see. But I am thinking I may very well have a project this coming summer, to rip out the drywall one wall at a time and insulate it.

I was out there a couple of nights ago and the heater was running (like this one) and it didn't seem like it was very warm......yeah, it was out of propane and I was just enjoying the noise! LOL

The funny thing is the central heating unit for the house is in the garage. I am thinking a ducting to the garage may be a "thing" in the future, but I would need to insulate first.

In the mean time, it's the little propane one, I just need be sure it has propane in the tank.

Brian

Old 11-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #4016
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Three days in a row, nobody posting on here but me? Must be because of T-Day this week.

I got my gas tank reinstalled and made a walk-around video of my truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW80C1Pvaj4
I don't post but check all the progress you guys are making almost every day! I love seeing it, can't wait to get out there again.

Brian

Old 11-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #4017
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
I've been plodding away for the last few weeks, but making progress. Door guts are completely assembled and working, including the emergency cables needed to open the doors in the event of a power outage. The seats are back from the upholsterer. AWESOME job. I dropped off the door panels, console and a few other nic-nacs when I picked them up. I had to move the console and seat over to center the seat exactly on the steering wheel. That turned out to be non-trivial.

I re-fitted the windlace to the headliner. The upholsterer will get that too, to cut off and sew the ends of the windlace now that it's length is known.

The major front end sheet metal is installed, and I have a better idea of the front end wiring.

I've been scuffing and buffing the bed parts the last several days. Bed sides and tubs are ready for install. Plenty more to do.
Looking awesome!

Brian

Old 11-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #4018
DransportGarage

Quote:
Looking awesome!

Brian
Thanks, Brian! I just wish things were moving a little quicker...
Old 11-28-2019, 11:05 PM   #4019
mick53

Quote:
Mine was drywall when I moved in, the problem is there is no insulation! This is my first winter in Idaho and going out to the garage is pretty tough, we will see, between getting used to it and my space heater, we will see. But I am thinking I may very well have a project this coming summer, to rip out the drywall one wall at a time and insulate it.

I was out there a couple of nights ago and the heater was running (like this one) and it didn't seem like it was very warm......yeah, it was out of propane and I was just enjoying the noise! LOL

The funny thing is the central heating unit for the house is in the garage. I am thinking a ducting to the garage may be a "thing" in the future, but I would need to insulate first.

In the mean time, it's the little propane one, I just need be sure it has propane in the tank.

Brian
When I built my shop I used 2x6 studs, fully insulated it and put OSB on the walls and ceiling. It hurt the wallet at the time but I'm glad I did.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:23 PM   #4020
mick53

I welded and milled the back side of my timing cover. My welders, like most of my tools aren't top of the line but not bottom of the barrel. This is my first attempt at TIGing aluminum. I have no idea what alloy they are or if they are the same. 4043 rod was recommended and that is what I used. I took my time letting it cool down. I would be doing fine and then a crater of trash would appear and the fun began. Some pits appeared when I milled it but not in the gasket line. I may fix them after I weld the other side.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2019, 11:57 PM   #4021
dsraven

OSB is what we use in our fire flashover simulator because it burns so well and gets hot so fast in there.
I have 2x6, insulation, the bottom foot is treated plywood so as not to wick up water and the rest is drywall because of all the cutting grinding and welding I do. I am due for some paint in there soon. May sheet the bottom 4ft with corrugated steel siding to take a blast of sparks better. It also pressure washes better than drywall.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:51 AM   #4022
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
OSB is what we use in our fire flashover simulator because it burns so well and gets hot so fast in there.
I have 2x6, insulation, the bottom foot is treated plywood so as not to wick up water and the rest is drywall because of all the cutting grinding and welding I do. I am due for some paint in there soon. May sheet the bottom 4ft with corrugated steel siding to take a blast of sparks better. It also pressure washes better than drywall.
I put my foundation wall 18" higher than my slab. It makes washing a lot easier.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #4023
dsraven

Brian,
if you just want to keep the frost off in the garage you could use a circulating heater using hot water from your water heater. make a loop through a baseboard style heater and back to the water heater. it will circulate by itself if plumbed properly at the tank inlet-outlet locations. use a small fan if you want to in order to get some better air flow/heat. cheaper than running a propane heater and no chance of CO poisoning from the propane exhaust.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #4024
Dyslexic Dog

an IR electric or gas heater works well too. i heat a well insulated 30x30 shop with one 3000 watt heater over my bench area,. It heats whatever it shines at. tools are warm and so is the floor. No vapors in the air. It takes awhile but i live in Michigan so we tend to be cold.
Dyslexic Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:40 PM   #4025
Marty68

I went from this. Old bumper
Attached Images

Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote