The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #251
Grizz1963

Re: The English are coming! Or..another C10 in the Motherland.

Almost time to say: Weekend over...... What have you managed to do ?

Hope there was more than family time included mate.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #252
Paul Y

Pretty much to the day, 1 year ago, Woody looked like this.

How do I know? Well it is the reason why this weeks progress report is a little...lacklustre. Think the excuse is pretty strong however as it is #1 sons birthday.

Having said that I did manage to get an hour in the garage, he is not a particularly early riser, in-between household chores and birthday shenanigans.

What did I actually get done then? Well last week I had managed to get the brace in place with the help of #3 son and this week we actually centred it isn the chassis, tightened it into place and fitted the engine and suspension crossmember.

Pictorial proof for your viewing pleasure

I think 1mm variation side to side is pretty central....

The process of getting it to this [s]lucky conclusion[/s] high degree of accuracy was a combination of bolting the brace to the chassis C sections and then using a ratchet strap and a large wooden mallet to "persuade' it into place. The creaking and groaning was akin to an ancient ship tacking into the wind but boy! what a difference it has made.

I have noticed one mistake after carefully bolting the engine/suspension crossmember into place is that I didn't put washers under the bolt heads, easy remedy but slightly annoying as it is a bit of a ball ache as spanner access is limited.

Put the trailing arms in place but really not happy with the old paint finish or the state of the bushes so they will be coming out again, will be blasted and painted with more Steel-It, and new bushes fitted.

On the fence on whether to go for Poly or rubber. Seems to be two schools of thought with regards to the Poly bushes causing the axle to bind but, at the same time, those that have gone Poly bush are happy. Decision might be made by what is in stock...

In other news Mark (@riverstory) from the this very forum shipped a 66 steering core to the guys and girls over at RedHead to get it refurbished for the cost of shipping, was more than happy to top this up to cover a few beers for his trouble, this has now arrived and work has commenced so that is another thing to cross off my list.

The next issue is this damn Steel-It paint. I 'thought' I had purchased enough to finish off the chassis and suspension with a few cans to spare but I was very wrong. So now waiting for another 6 cans to be shipped which means that not a whole lot will be achieved over the long weekend.

Dropping down to see my friend Mark at Hydrahose tomorrow to pick up the olives so I can complete the fuel return but other than that think it is going to be more cleaning and breaking out the sandblaster again to get the from suspension and trailing arms ready for when the paint comes in.

Anyway. Progress is progress so, until the next time...ONWARDS!!!

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:21 PM   #253
Grizz1963

Onwards indeed.

As Ta2Don used to say.....

Progress is Progress.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:47 PM   #254
Paul Y

This week I have mostly been spending money....

And redoing things I did 4 years ago.

Let's address the spending money part first shall we. Makes a change for me to be spending my own rather than other people...

Thanks to the generosity of a Mark AKA Riverstory, who sent a rebuildable core to RedHead in San Fran, I now have a freshly rebuilt steering box to replace the rather loose one that Woody is currently equipped with. Should be with me in the next 2-3 weeks as it is going in with a car being imported, fingers crossed. Including tax's that was $305.

Next! Not needed right now but as a car was coming over seemed foolish not to take advantage, were the cab and front clip mounts. Big debate on whether to go for Poly or rubber - ended up going for rubber, partly for the NVH considerations, well actually mostly for the NVH... That was $70

Next on the list was the rear control arm bushes as, upon closer investigation, mine were shot. Ended up going with Energy Suspension Poly bushes as there were no rubber ones in stock. Thanks to a 5% discount at Rock Auto that came to £39 shipped.

And finally the absolute bane of my life... Steel-It paint. Back in stock so, hopefully got more than I needed to finish everything off. Think that will end up being around £130.

Gulp, that's about £450... Oh well its not as if I have been to the pub in the last 14months.

On a positive though I really don't have a huge amount left to buy - other than a gearbox - Think I am down to a set of front tyres, fuel pump, battery and a few sundries. Guessing that adds up to around £350, not too bad.

As I am at the stage where I cant really go forward decided to take apart and prep the front suspension for paint, once it arrives, along with the control arms and all the sundries that I missed earlier.

Seemed like a good idea but the paint I used 4 years ago is sticking to the metal more effectively than Gorilla Glue to a young ladies hair. Looks like the Knot Wheel of Truth (tm) is going to make a reappearance to get it off before any more blasting.

I did blast one of the lower control arms and most of a rear control arm before the F1 called me in funny enough just as it started to rain so perfect timing.

Forgot that I had stitched the arms together so that is another job off the list!

Bloody hellfire what a boring update! but then this is more for my benefit that yours as I am determined to get Woody rolling by the end of the month - he might not be steering but he will be rolling!!

So, until next time.

Onwards!

P.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #255
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
This week I have mostly been spending money....

And redoing things I did 4 years ago.

Let's address the spending money part first shall we. Makes a change for me to be spending my own rather than other people...

Thanks to the generosity of a Mark AKA Riverstory, who sent a rebuildable core to RedHead in San Fran, I now have a freshly rebuilt steering box to replace the rather loose one that Woody is currently equipped with. Should be with me in the next 2-3 weeks as it is going in with a car being imported, fingers crossed. Including tax's that was $305.

Next! Not needed right now but as a car was coming over seemed foolish not to take advantage, were the cab and front clip mounts. Big debate on whether to go for Poly or rubber - ended up going for rubber, partly for the NVH considerations, well actually mostly for the NVH... That was $70

Next on the list was the rear control arm bushes as, upon closer investigation, mine were shot. Ended up going with Energy Suspension Poly bushes as there were no rubber ones in stock. Thanks to a 5% discount at Rock Auto that came to £39 shipped.

And finally the absolute bane of my life... Steel-It paint. Back in stock so, hopefully got more than I needed to finish everything off. Think that will end up being around £130.

Gulp, that's about £450... Oh well its not as if I have been to the pub in the last 14months.

On a positive though I really don't have a huge amount left to buy - other than a gearbox - Think I am down to a set of front tyres, fuel pump, battery and a few sundries. Guessing that adds up to around £350, not too bad.

As I am at the stage where I cant really go forward decided to take apart and prep the front suspension for paint, once it arrives, along with the control arms and all the sundries that I missed earlier.

Seemed like a good idea but the paint I used 4 years ago is sticking to the metal more effectively than Gorilla Glue to a young ladies hair. Looks like the Knot Wheel of Truth (tm) is going to make a reappearance to get it off before any more blasting.

I did blast one of the lower control arms and most of a rear control arm before the F1 called me in funny enough just as it started to rain so perfect timing.

Forgot that I had stitched the arms together so that is another job off the list!

Bloody hellfire what a boring update! but then this is more for my benefit that yours as I am determined to get Woody rolling by the end of the month - he might not be steering but he will be rolling!!

So, until next time.

Onwards!

P.
I understand that you think it is a boring update and to some it may be, but as you said to you it is not, more like a motivation to keep moving forward. I feel this way alot recently with the work on the cab... same story, same crap, i am am almost over it but damn it has been "boring" but motivating.... i just look in the shed and see all the new parts just sitting there waiting to go in.... lol I know though that a solid good base is the most important thing to have to start... so onward i march.
You are coming along good, just keep moving forward and in short enough time you will be so happy you did.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:20 PM   #256
Paul Y

Thanks Jeff,

Must admit that I had a total MOJO failure this past weekend after struggling for 3 hours with my pot blaster, got frustrated, and then ended up trying to push the rear control arm bushes out with my press.

That ended up badly as I bent the arm - nothing that cant be re bent - so shut the garage door and retired to the sanctity of beer and the F1.

Goodish news is that all of the parts I have been waiting for should be here on Friday and Lady P has informed me that she is working on Saturday so I can have a guilt free day in the garage.

I 'think' I should still be able to get Woody back on four wheels by the end of the month, probably without the engine in and fired up, but that is more progress than I have made in the past few years!

Could have just thrown it all back together but, as you say, knowing that I have a solid base is what is motivating me to keep going. That and my daughter asking if we can get the Christmas tree in Woody this year... No pressure then....

Looking forward to seeing your cab in paint.

P.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:30 AM   #257
88Stanger

Quote:
Thanks Jeff,

Must admit that I had a total MOJO failure this past weekend after struggling for 3 hours with my pot blaster, got frustrated, and then ended up trying to push the rear control arm bushes out with my press.

That ended up badly as I bent the arm - nothing that cant be re bent - so shut the garage door and retired to the sanctity of beer and the F1.

Goodish news is that all of the parts I have been waiting for should be here on Friday and Lady P has informed me that she is working on Saturday so I can have a guilt free day in the garage.

I 'think' I should still be able to get Woody back on four wheels by the end of the month, probably without the engine in and fired up, but that is more progress than I have made in the past few years!

Could have just thrown it all back together but, as you say, knowing that I have a solid base is what is motivating me to keep going. That and my daughter asking if we can get the Christmas tree in Woody this year... No pressure then....

Looking forward to seeing your cab in paint.

P.
That is good, you get a guilt free day... i remember those.. now that is everyday and not by my choice honestly....
So today i am going for a early morning hike then out to shop to get the damn bottom door area of cab cut and pulled out to match the door and then rewelded up. After that... it is ready to be sprayed with grease and wax remover, and the epoxy sealer spayed on!!
I say that but watch i will be inspecting everything and find something that will hold be back to spray until next weekend. LOL
Old 05-16-2021, 04:29 PM   #258
Paul Y

The observant amongst you will notice that there was no update last week, for others probably a blessed releif from more picture of nothing but partially blasted suspension pieces.

Now dear viewer let me tell you why I missed last week off.Simply put even I had had enough of the continual cleaning blasting unclogging sifting and general monotonous receptiveness that my 'hobby' had become.

So I took a week off - well after spending a few hours fighting my blaster and then bending a control arm in frustration from my missing' weekend - and went and spent some more money.

First purchase was a fresh batch of blasting media. At £7ish per 25kg I just couldn't face sifting and cleaning the stuff I already had.

Next was something I wish I had purchased a year ago - a 5mm nozzle. What an absolute revelation this bad boy is. No more clogging and when I did reuse some media I just chucked it in and away we went. Wonderful....

Now before I get too carried away I did make a school boy error when ordering the rear control arm bushes. I mistakenly thought they came as singles so ordered 2 boxes... On a positive I now have a spare set and Rock Auto managed to get them here in 3 days which must be some sort of record.

Ah Yes. In other news the box containing my Steel-It paint finally arrived so this weekend I should be able to get loads done especially as Lady P had informed me that she was going out for the day on Saturday. Perfect...

Well.. nearly. Now for those paying attention I might have made mention that I am Charlie Big Potatoes at a Logistics Software start up which is, to be perfectly honest, rather tiring. Well absolutely knackering is closer to the truth.

Why is this relevant I hear you ask? Well after Lady P had left for the day and I had returned from taking the Mutts for a walk, I decided to have a 30 minute lie down before heading outside. I mean, it was only 9.30 so half an hour is not going to hurt is it...

Next thing I know the dogs are shouting at me and it is 6pm... Ho hum. Must have needed the rest.

So here I am a week behind schedule, best set the alarm for Zero dark 30 then and just get on with it...

First things first, Blasting 'tent' constructed.

Lower suspension arm half way through the process. Did I say I love new media and a 5mm nozzle?

Rear control arms. Done!

Upper suspension arms.. Done along with the pivots.

Still a bit cold so broke out the space heater to warm up the paint and...

Taa Daa!

Painted stuff

Whilst that was going off time to get the control arm bushes out with my favourite tool...

FIRE!!!

And finally...

So. Nowhere near as much as I wanted to get done but, progress is progress. Promise that next weeks update will be a bit more boltie boltie rather than cleanie cleanie....

And as you have made it this far a little something Lady P saw in the car park, apparently it goes up and down....

Until the next time dear viewers....

ONWARDS!!

P.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:33 PM   #259
pdxhall

Great job. the frame and parts are look awesome

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:47 PM   #260
Paul Y

The automotive circle of life was in full effect this weekend as I have finally moved from this....

To this....

So what is the automotive circle of life? It is when you do a Google search for a picture for the correct orientation of an assembly and end up being presented with a picture of the very same assembly, you took, before disassembling of said assembly....

So, let's rewind shall we.

My Saturday saw our very own Santa Claus, Glen Anderson, arriving at PY Towers laden down with gifts that had been accumulating at Grizz place over the course of the Pandemic, amongst which was the loan of a torque wrench to assist in putting Woody back open his wheels.

I would like to say that I cracked straight on with assembly but the foot tall grass - the unwelcome result of the past 2 weeks rain and sun - meant that I had an appointment with my mower...Which lasted all of 10 minutes before the grass collector decided to break and then the battery went flat (probably because dumbo here left the ignition on whilst fixing the collector) Thankfully it started raining again so called it a day and retired to the comfort of my chair and a beer.

Sunday started at the crack of Noon due to family commitments, first things first...

How many of us have thrown bolts in a box during disassembly because "I will be putting it back together next week so will remember where everything goes..." 4 years later I am greeted with this.

There are another 3 boxes of these so first job was to sort out the various fasteners before the 'fun' can start.

First job was to put the bushes into the trailing arms.

Pretty simple

Lube, Lube

Press, Press.

Mmm... now how to get the rather snug bushes into the mount?

Well this involved two bits of an old oil drum, a bit of wood and a jack.

Taa Daa!

The assorted screwdriver, mallet and grips where required to remove the bits of tin that took longer than actually getting the arms into the mounting.

Next job was to unearth the axle from the very back of the garage, realise that is was round the wrong way and then pull, push and swear at it until it was safely tucked under the chassis.

No. I am not going to show the Eiffel Tower of wood required to get the chassis high enough to make the above happen but needless to say, not my proudest moment...

With the axle roughly in place time to dig out the lowering blocks and newly painted U Bolts,

Push, push. Lift Lift. Swear, Swear.

All in place...oh...hold on...

Forgot to put the mount on for the panhard and anti roll bar so a bit more pushing and we now have the things looking a little closer to being loosely assembled.

Doing this for the second time made me realise that I had not done a particularly good job first time round, witness the gap between the panhard rod mount and the chassis...

Previously I had just left it but this time made a quick spacer and we are good to go!

Oh Look! Its nearly level at ride heigh ( or will be with a bit more weight on the back)

A quick bit of twiddling with the bar and we are within a 1/16th side to side.

Nice....

Quick break for these and then back out.

Spent about an hour trying to work out why the antiroll bar drop links was outside the bar on one side and inside on the other even though all the measurements seemed to indicate that everything was square and true. Eventually just accepted that "it is what it is' and moved onto the shock absorbers.

Which is where I called it a night... The shocks don't quite fit properly and the more I looked at it the more I realised that I was going to have to do a little 're engineering' to get everything to work as it should.

So....

I 'think' I will meet my objective of getting Woody back on his wheels by the end of the month but you will have to stay tuned for the next thrilling instalment!

ONWARDS!!!!

P.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:06 PM   #261
88Stanger

Quote:

The automotive circle of life was in full effect this weekend as I have finally moved from this....

To this....

So what is the automotive circle of life? It is when you do a Google search for a picture for the correct orientation of an assembly and end up being presented with a picture of the very same assembly, you took, before disassembling of said assembly....

So, let's rewind shall we.

My Saturday saw our very own Santa Claus, Glen Anderson, arriving at PY Towers laden down with gifts that had been accumulating at Grizz place over the course of the Pandemic, amongst which was the loan of a torque wrench to assist in putting Woody back open his wheels.

I would like to say that I cracked straight on with assembly but the foot tall grass - the unwelcome result of the past 2 weeks rain and sun - meant that I had an appointment with my mower...Which lasted all of 10 minutes before the grass collector decided to break and then the battery went flat (probably because dumbo here left the ignition on whilst fixing the collector) Thankfully it started raining again so called it a day and retired to the comfort of my chair and a beer.

Sunday started at the crack of Noon due to family commitments, first things first...

How many of us have thrown bolts in a box during disassembly because "I will be putting it back together next week so will remember where everything goes..." 4 years later I am greeted with this.

There are another 3 boxes of these so first job was to sort out the various fasteners before the 'fun' can start.

First job was to put the bushes into the trailing arms.

Pretty simple

Lube, Lube

Press, Press.

Mmm... now how to get the rather snug bushes into the mount?

Well this involved two bits of an old oil drum, a bit of wood and a jack.

Taa Daa!

The assorted screwdriver, mallet and grips where required to remove the bits of tin that took longer than actually getting the arms into the mounting.

Next job was to unearth the axle from the very back of the garage, realise that is was round the wrong way and then pull, push and swear at it until it was safely tucked under the chassis.

No. I am not going to show the Eiffel Tower of wood required to get the chassis high enough to make the above happen but needless to say, not my proudest moment...

With the axle roughly in place time to dig out the lowering blocks and newly painted U Bolts,

Push, push. Lift Lift. Swear, Swear.

All in place...oh...hold on...

Forgot to put the mount on for the panhard and anti roll bar so a bit more pushing and we now have the things looking a little closer to being loosely assembled.

Doing this for the second time made me realise that I had not done a particularly good job first time round, witness the gap between the panhard rod mount and the chassis...

Previously I had just left it but this time made a quick spacer and we are good to go!

Oh Look! Its nearly level at ride heigh ( or will be with a bit more weight on the back)

A quick bit of twiddling with the bar and we are within a 1/16th side to side.

Nice....

Quick break for these and then back out.

Spent about an hour trying to work out why the antiroll bar drop links was outside the bar on one side and inside on the other even though all the measurements seemed to indicate that everything was square and true. Eventually just accepted that "it is what it is' and moved onto the shock absorbers.

Which is where I called it a night... The shocks don't quite fit properly and the more I looked at it the more I realised that I was going to have to do a little 're engineering' to get everything to work as it should.

So....

I 'think' I will meet my objective of getting Woody back on his wheels by the end of the month but you will have to stay tuned for the next thrilling instalment!

ONWARDS!!!!

P.

Awesome work sir!! It seems anytime you install non-stock items on they can sometimes impact other stock items. I had the worst time getting the panhard bar in and clearing my rearend until I learned i needed a non-stock bent style one and tada, it fits now, of course i have a stock style adjustable straight one now sitting on the shelf.
Looks good though, that brace looks great.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:25 PM   #262
Paul Y

It was our conversation that made me commit to the brace, so far not regretting that decision!

P.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:39 PM   #263
pdxhall

Nice work. You're making great progress and I like your setup on the rear.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #264
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Nice work. You're making great progress and I like your setup on the rear.
Thanks! Setting a 6 week deadline to complete a set of tasks is the only way I am going to get this done.

Just working out what the next 6 week 'sprint' is going to consist of!

P.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:05 AM   #265
Paul Y

Well that was a surprise... Another deadline well and truly missed.

BUT! Its not my fault honest Guv....

I had actually got all of the front suspension, cleaned painted greased and ready for final assembly when I decided to give the dust seals (they are actually more like grease seals) another little clean up resulting in 3 of the 4 splitting.

No pictures as my phone decided it didn't like being covered in paint and grinding dust but imagine a round black rubber thing with a hole in the middle and you will not be a million miles away...

Oh....Bumhats....

Now, I could have thrown them together with the split dust shields - they go on the lower A arm and keep grease in the bearing caps- but that would have continually nagged at me until I stripped the suspension to redo them at a later date.

AND!! As the time scale is self imposed to ensure that I keep momentum, and a record of what I am doing, decided to order up a new set from the States.

However....

The damn things have still not left the warehouse... Grrrr....

So I returned to the rear and got everything ship shape and Bristol fashion....

Cant find the gasket for the diff cover so something else that will have to be ordered up.

Doesn't look it but a lot of time and effort have gone into making all of the fit, line up, look good and most importantly work together.

Once I get the front suspension on will pull Woody's chassis outside for a bath, the old boy is looking a bit grubby.

So, in closing, still stuff to do - hopefully the olives will turn up so I can fit the fuel return line - including running the brake lines, re fitting the fuel tank, fitting the engine in the chassis so I can test fire it and erm well a huge amount more. Good news, compared to when I started I now appear to have a chassis whereas before I had a Mecanno kit...

Progress will slow down for a few weeks whilst I wait for the final parts to fit the from suspension and then I have to start on the cab.... Oh dear....

Until the next time... ONWARDS!

P.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:28 AM   #266
SkinnyG

Quote:

Cant find the gasket for the diff cover so something else that will have to be ordered up.
Most people just use a fat bead of silicone. Like Permatex Ultra Black.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #267
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Most people just use a fat bead of silicone. Like Permatex Ultra Black.
Hadn't thought of that. Good call!

Thanks Skinny.

P.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:50 AM   #268
The Rocknrod

Great work on your chassis. Thanks for the updates.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #269
Paul Y

Doesn't time fly when your having fun...

A month since my last missive might lead you to the conclusion that progress should have been made...

And you would be right but lets not get ahead of ourselves shall we...

So, for those of you keeping up, the last time we were waiting for parts. Stupid little bits and pieces that meant that progress had come to a halt.

To be precise, these stupid little bits and pieces.

Ball joint boots that precluded me from attaching the front suspension. Grrr. However, after exchanging 4 English pounds, I was at the point were progress could be made once again. So, with the able assistance of

the offending articles were attached to the cleaned and freshly greased ball joints.

Nice.

And a lot easier than trying to replicate the copper collar that affixed the originals. Plus. Race Car.

With the final piece fo the assembly jigsaw done it was then a simple task of putting Tab A in Slot B. Well actually no. Obviously.

When Woody originally came into my possession he was on a pair of very short front springs which had been further enhanced by having an extra coil or two cut from them. Great for the Looooowwwwsss but with the addition of 2.5" dropped spindles the crossmember, even with no engine, was so close to the floor that I couldn't get my super low floor jack under it. PLUS! every time I jacked poor old Woody up they fell out of the spring pockets.

Not ideal.

Looked cool though..

A quick post on the 67-72 truck forum asking for advice was answered by Skinny G who suggested a pair of 1 ton coils which could be trimmed to fit. £58 later, and 3 days, these arrived at PY Towers.

(next to the 'original' springs and Mrs. Grinder)

For those of you that don't see the problem with that picture I can assure you we can no longer be friends...

Better...

Better still!

And for comparison...Which will become important..later.

This also had the additional benefit of making it easier to get the front suspension back together, so a win/win.

The advantage of the 2.5" dropped spindle over the 3" is that you can use 15" wheels, just, without the suspension hanging below the wheel. Picture is a bit misleading bit there is about 1/4 between the lip of the wheel and the control arm.

Whilst this was going on other things appeared on my door step.

I have no idea at all how they got there....

Which lead me to the next pause as I now needed to wait for tools.

P.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:35 PM   #270
Paul Y

Whilst waiting for said tools to turn up I did a little living.

Went to visit my very good friend Jay who now spends his day putting these sort of things together.

Nice.

Plus in the unit next to him one of the Nova's from Death Proof.

Also spent some time here with Lady P and Dog.

And because life is slowly getting back to normal enjoyed a rather drunken day with my oldest friend at Goodwood Festival of Speed where I spent far too much time lusting after this.

By which time other things, tools things had arrived.

Big thanks to @winchman who pointed me towards this rather fine piece of equipment when I realised that my puller had been taken in the last break in 5 years ago.

That meant that the pitman arm could be taken off my old steering box and secured the wrong way round on my new one....

Next was instal my NoLimits from Anti Roll bar which, I realised half way through installing it that I had made a complete pigs ear of, the first time round. This was quickly brought to light and corrected by reading the instructions...ridiculous behaviour...

It did highlight the problem that the crossmember, that had been bent and split during Woody's awakening from the container on his trip to the Motherland, would require some remedial attention with a large hammer.

Whats next on the list then? Plumbing in the brakes. For some reason I was really not looking forward to this but, Hey Ho. Lets go!

First things first, lets install the flexible hoses to the callipers...oh hold on...

Captains side, not a problem. The drinkers side however... Grrrrr... The thread in the calliper to take the bolt holding the flexie line in had been damaged, which really made me rather annoyed as I had visions of having to buy another one, an expense I really didn't fancy. However, after regaining my coooool ran a tap through the thread and, after a lot of swearing, pleased to say that it cleaned up very well. Gave it a good clean out and we are good to go. if it turns out to be a dud in the future I will probably upgrade to a set of dual piston Wilwoods but, for the moment all good.

With the 'simple' job of getting the flexie pipes in time to break out my faithful brake tool...

... and remake the pipes I made 4 years ago.

quite pleased with the way they came out.

Dog approved.

Now on to the backs.

Quick bracket made up

Painted and installed along with the flexie for the rears

Which highlighted a potential problem for 'Next Year Paul' that of if I DO decide to do a C notch I will have to redo the brake line routing as well as the fuel lines. Bit annoyed at myself that I didn't think of it before hand but a quick look at the fuel lines shows that an additional bit of braided line will solve the fuel issue and the brake line problem I will worry about...later.

Thinking ahead I was looking for fuel filler lines for my rear mounted tank when I came across this for the princely sum of £10 on eBay

More will become clear in the fulness of time.

Which leads me onto my final picture for the evening and a reference back to the springs and Mrs. Grinder.

Will save the final cutting until I have Woody back in one piece and he has had some time to settle, plus I have got the right size front tyres, but can already see another half coil joining my trophy cabinet.

Hope to drag Woody outside over the coming week to give him a bit of a wash off plus tidy up the disaster that is my garage.

With that I will leave you to enjoy the rest of your evening.

Until the next time.

ONWARDS!!!

P.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:47 PM   #271
88Stanger

I am liking this.....
Old 08-10-2021, 04:09 AM   #272
Paul Y

Thanks Jeff!

It’s not perfect but it is better than my last build so I will count that as progress.

Yours is coming along well, shame we are so far apart as we could have done a comparison on the cross brace.

Onwards!

P.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #273
Paul Y

This.

Is what 18 months of work look's like.

Now I don't expect you to be overwhelmed but to me this was a huge milestone. How do I know you will not be overwhelmed? Quite simply I called Lady P to come and look at what I had achieved as Woody emerged from the garage like a rather large (and Ugly) Moth from a chrysalis.

Her comment... What have you done... Good job she is a bit of a Hottie or she would have been kicked to the curb years ago. Anyway...

All of the plumbing is now in place, brakes and fuel, tight and just awaiting testing - only thing left to do on the tank is to trim off the ends of the inlet and return to fit the compression fittings and put the Walbro 450 in the tank

Tank is fitted but still a little loose as I start putting together the rats nest that is going to be the fill and vents etc. I have a cunning plan to conceal the filler but you will have to wait a while until I get to that stage.

As Woody was outside the garage I took the opportunity to have a tidy up, sweep the floors and move the cab liberating some much needed space.

Why do I need the space?

Next stage of the build is to plonk this between the rails and attempt to get it started.

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about what I am looking too have at the end of the build process. The plan has not changed, just the timings.

So...... I am going to put the LS in 'as is' I have a Sloppy Stage 2 cam and a set of 80lb SnakeEater injectors already but if I put these in I will need to buy tuning software at a cost of $500Ish.

Now that $500 I can use on a wiring loom that is desperately needed - seems like a sensible choice to me - and I would still need to buy the loom even if I get the HP Tuners software which means I could add another 3 months to the build process...

I am going to paint the firewall, my pal Jay has offered to be my Yoda so feel slightly more confident about it, and Raptor the floor. I 'Might" strip the interior completely and repaint it - I will see how the firewall turns out.

Still need a T56 - if anybody want to donate one to the cause!- I really want to get my tree this year in Woody, lets see how close I get.

Longer term I will take the engine out to fit the cam, injectors etc and fit the turbo, at that point I might go with the Holley Terminator or stump up for the HP Tuners. That part of the plan has not changed. Tuuuurrrrrrbbbbbooooooo.

Strictly for burnouts and ice cream you understand.

And with that I will bid you a good day!

Onwards!

P.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:45 PM   #274
clemdaddy

Really great work there... doing it right.
Though I got a little queasy seeing you warm up rattle can with a jet engine. ha
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #275
Grizz1963

Thanks for the delivery yesterday in spite of the risk you ran of getting stuck on the Dartford crossing Paul.

Looking forward to the next part in Rezin Rockit chassis works

Your rolling chassis progress looks great.

Well done !.