The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Rusty69

Transmissiin linkage help!

I am getting a borg-warner 4 speed from a Chevy car to put in the rusty 69. I have a friend that has all the pedal set and linkage stuff from an 80s Chevy truck. My question is, is the 80s stuff the same as the 67-72 stuff or can it be made to work? Also, a hydraulic throwout bearing kit is about $100. What are the thoughts on that route. I browsed through the forum to see if the linkage question had been asked but didn't find anything. Thanks for the help.
[size=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/siz

Last edited by Rusty69; 06-10-2013 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Dang auto correct
Rusty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Zeke's Garage

Re: Transmissiin linkage help!

I'm not completely sure the linkage or the pedals will work as a direct bolt-in from the '80s donor. I've never held them side-to-side, but you may have issues with your brakes as well as trying to sort out the clutch. The Z bar that runs from the frame to the ball on the engine may or may not be the same length/angle/location either.

Going the hydraulic path for the clutch seems to me more trouble than it's worth unless you're using a newer NV3500/4500 or similar that requires it. You'll still have hassles getting the correct pedals, then you'll need to fab up some kind of linkage to a clutch master cylinder that you have to custom mount on the firewall.

Don't get me wrong, it's great fun to tinker and fab if that's what you're out to do, but I don't think it's the easiest path. I would think you could find 67-72 set of pedals and Z bar much easier than almost any other generation. There were/are lots of people who swapped from 3 on the tree to Automatic.
Megasquirt Fuel Injection
T5 5 speed conversion
Ferric Oxide impregnation throughout
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote