The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #26
Heliarcn

Re: 72 Plaid Sub

Mocking up some sheet metal for the rear floor. Had to cut the floor for the driveline to come through when the suburban is laid out.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer
Heliarcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #27
Heliarcn

More sheetmetal mock up and you can see how high the rear fender wells are raised.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer
Old 11-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #28
Heliarcn

More rear floor work and mocking up the cardboard gas tank.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer
Old 11-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #29
Heliarcn

The new Delmo's CST wheels showed up back in January. Here's one next to the original 15" wheel cap. My custom Boyd Welding gas tank showed up as well.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer

Last edited by Heliarcn; 11-22-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #30
Heliarcn

Back in February I decide to change the Porterbuilt version 6 front drop member out for the new version 7. It allowed more clearance for the L83 motor and incorporated the new steering geometry.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer
Old 11-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #31
Heliarcn

Back in March I received one of the first Holley Gen V swap oil pans. Had to install a 2009 Pontiac G8 transmission pan on the 6L80E as well. Stock trans pan hung down below the frame.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer

Last edited by Heliarcn; 11-22-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #32
Heliarcn

Some pics out in the sunlight mocking up the front core support, radiator, and fans. Went with the Entropy LSX radiator and fans.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer
Old 11-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #33
04ls1gto

Looks really good
04ls1gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #34
Longhornss

Hey, This looks great. I am going an LT in my 67 Long box and just decided to go to the V7 over my current V6 drop member based on your pictures from Instagram and the advice from Brandon over at PB. They are currently working on getting my order built and are working on a new set of Engine mounts. Curious to know what you did for mounts and what your plan is for Headers/Manifolds. I also got one of the first Holley LT pans but got Tied up is a SEMA project that pulled me away from my truck project. I wish I would have realized sooner that the V7 was going to be a better option for this engine package.

If there is anyone out there looking for V6 1' narrow Control arms I have a set for sale. Too bad I welded the drop member in could have sold it too.....

Anyway the truck looks great I will keep an eye out for updates.
Longhornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #35
Cbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliarcn View Post
The new Delmo's CST wheels showed up back in January. Here's one next to the original 15" wheel cap. My custom Boyd Welding gas tank showed up as well.

The wheels really set the truck off man.what did they set you back for?
Cbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #36
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Great progress... where's the plaid? lol

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:50 PM   #37
youngrodder

The sheet metal for the notch looks great. I need to do something similar on my 53 Suburban to clear the PB notch. I went with a 2 piece drive shaft similar to what C-10 guys use and I didn't need to cut my floor up any more to accommodate a drive line. I assume you planned to run a 2 piece drive shaft. The Delmo wheels look great. Are they 22's?

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:11 PM   #38
Advanced Design

Very nice work! Love your Burb, tagging along for the rest.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #39
Heliarcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornss View Post
Hey, This looks great. I am going an LT in my 67 Long box and just decided to go to the V7 over my current V6 drop member based on your pictures from Instagram and the advice from Brandon over at PB. They are currently working on getting my order built and are working on a new set of Engine mounts. Curious to know what you did for mounts and what your plan is for Headers/Manifolds. I also got one of the first Holley LT pans but got Tied up is a SEMA project that pulled me away from my truck project. I wish I would have realized sooner that the V7 was going to be a better option for this engine package.

If there is anyone out there looking for V6 1' narrow Control arms I have a set for sale. Too bad I welded the drop member in could have sold it too.....

Anyway the truck looks great I will keep an eye out for updates.
Hey Longhornss,

I went with the Porterbuilt LS mounts and ICT Billet LS to LT adaptors. I did this because it raised the motor and trans to the proper elevation so the trans pan wasn’t lower than the frame rails. The 6L80E is a huge trans and just barely fit with the G8 pan. I will eventually talk to Porterbuilt about re-making the mounts so I don’t have to have the adaptors in there. As for the exhaust manifolds, I chopped the flange off the stock manifolds and welded a v-band flange on. This was a quick fix to get the suburban running and down to AZ for the Gitdown and Goodguys. I tried the 2016 Camaro tube manifolds, but they didn’t work with my steering. Passenger side was good, but the drivers side was no good. I will eventually make my own headers.

Bret

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer
Old 11-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #40
Heliarcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbo View Post
The wheels really set the truck off man.what did they set you back for?
You’ll have to contact Delmo for pricing on the wheels and Rusty over at Diamondback Classics for pricing on the tires. I can tell you the wheels were priced similar to other 22” billets on the market when I bought them a little over a year ago.

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer
Old 11-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #41
Heliarcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
Great progress... where's the plaid? lol
Soon!

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer
Old 11-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #42
Heliarcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
The sheet metal for the notch looks great. I need to do something similar on my 53 Suburban to clear the PB notch. I went with a 2 piece drive shaft similar to what C-10 guys use and I didn't need to cut my floor up any more to accommodate a drive line. I assume you planned to run a 2 piece drive shaft. The Delmo wheels look great. Are they 22's?

Marc
Yes I used a 2 piece drive shaft and carrier bearing from Inland Empire Driveline. They were great to work with and shipped the drive shaft within 3-4 days of ordering it. I’ll get some current pics of the rear floor up soon. It change a little throughout the build, but still looks similar.

The wheels are 22 x 8.5 up front and 22 x 10 in the back.

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer
Old 11-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #43
Heliarcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Very nice work! Love your Burb, tagging along for the rest.
Thanks!

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer
Old 11-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #44
Heliarcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ls1gto View Post
Looks really good
Thanks!

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer
Old 11-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #45
Longhornss

Quote:
Hey Longhornss,

I went with the Porterbuilt LS mounts and ICT Billet LS to LT adaptors. I did this because it raised the motor and trans to the proper elevation so the trans pan wasn’t lower than the frame rails. The 6L80E is a huge trans and just barely fit with the G8 pan. I will eventually talk to Porterbuilt about re-making the mounts so I don’t have to have the adaptors in there. As for the exhaust manifolds, I chopped the flange off the stock manifolds and welded a v-band flange on. This was a quick fix to get the suburban running and down to AZ for the Gitdown and Goodguys. I tried the 2016 Camaro tube manifolds, but they didn’t work with my steering. Passenger side was good, but the drivers side was no good. I will eventually make my own headers.

Bret

Bret,

Thanks for the information, the Guys at PB are currently making a set of LT mounts so I should be getting one of their first sets. I will be getting them un welded as they are using the stock GMPP pan (Corvette) I of course have the Holley pan and their accesory drive for my setup so I am anticipating some differences in how everything will fit because the GMPP engine uses a vette balancer and I am running a truck balancer.
Once I have the engine in place I will be giving the guys at Ultimate header a call as they already have an LT header and will work with me to move the collector around if I need it in a different area.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #46
Heliarcn

Quote:
Bret,

Thanks for the information, the Guys at PB are currently making a set of LT mounts so I should be getting one of their first sets. I will be getting them un welded as they are using the stock GMPP pan (Corvette) I of course have the Holley pan and their accesory drive for my setup so I am anticipating some differences in how everything will fit because the GMPP engine uses a vette balancer and I am running a truck balancer.
Once I have the engine in place I will be giving the guys at Ultimate header a call as they already have an LT header and will work with me to move the collector around if I need it in a different area.
Just FYI - I changed my truck balancer and water pump over to a 2016 Camaro balancer and water pump to install a Drive Junky LT Accessory Drive. No issues with the Holley pan, and that Camaro balancer is really tight to the motor.

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer
Old 11-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #47
Longhornss

Bret that is awesome information.
The reason I Went with the Holley parts is I got the engine as a pull out and did not have the balancer or water pump. at the time when I was doing the initial fit there was only one option for a drive system that I was not too impressed with so the Holley was the next best choice..... Maybe now I will have to consider going to the Drive Junky Kit. I got a chance to see some of their kits at SEMA. and they look like a great piece.

Are you Running the AC compressor on your engine. Any fitment issues with it?
Old 11-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #48
Heliarcn

Quote:
Bret that is awesome information.
The reason I Went with the Holley parts is I got the engine as a pull out and did not have the balancer or water pump. at the time when I was doing the initial fit there was only one option for a drive system that I was not too impressed with so the Holley was the next best choice..... Maybe now I will have to consider going to the Drive Junky Kit. I got a chance to see some of their kits at SEMA. and they look like a great piece.

Are you Running the AC compressor on your engine. Any fitment issues with it?
The A/C is low on the passenger side and tucked into the motor pretty tight. I haven't installed the hoses yet, might need some slight trimming of the frame in that area or some creative hoses, but definitely doable. I'll try to get some pics posted soon.

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer
Old 11-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #49
Longhornss

Quote:
The A/C is low on the passenger side and tucked into the motor pretty tight. I haven't installed the hoses yet, might need some slight trimming of the frame in that area or some creative hoses, but definitely doable. I'll try to get some pics posted soon.
Pictures would be great! I have my entire frame boxed from front to back so notching the frame may be a bit of a stretch. I was just talking to Zach over at drive junkies yesterday about running the the system. He was very helpful and assured me he would work with me if I had any fitment problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #50
Heliarcn

Quote:
Pictures would be great! I have my entire frame boxed from front to back so notching the frame may be a bit of a stretch. I was just talking to Zach over at drive junkies yesterday about running the the system. He was very helpful and assured me he would work with me if I had any fitment problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Which motor were you using? Is it a truck motor L83 or L86, or an actual LT1 out of a Camaro or Corvette? All of the drive systems are a little different.

1972 Chevy Suburban
1976 Blazer