The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2021, 11:55 AM   #76
caseyjones

Re: 1964 C10 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan K View Post
I got sold the wrong door bottoms, got the 60-63 instead of the 64-66. I cut it off below the rib. They didn't fit great like most replacement panels. I made a bunch of relief cuts and added some metal here and there to make it work. Turned out just fine
Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I stared at my mess again last night with fresh eyes and I think I see a path forward with the patch I have. I'm gonna slice and dice it, tack it in and test fit the door to be sure. I figure I don't have anything to lose but time if it doesn't work.
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:31 AM   #77
caseyjones

Door bottom is whole again. I had to section a significant amount out of it to get the skin to line up with the rocker - it looks terrible on the underside, but you'll have to crawl on the ground to see it. No photo evidence of the crime scene.

Thinking I'l bolt the door and fender back on tomorrow and cruise it - the weather is supposed to be nice-ish and I need a ride to get motivated to do the other side.

Last edited by caseyjones; 02-07-2021 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:14 AM   #78
caseyjones

Went for a pre game cruise with my daughter and found a spot for a photo opportunity that I had seen used here before. She says snake-eye-view is the best way to take a picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by caseyjones; 02-08-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #79
The Rocknrod

Nice pic. Great work on your truck caseyjones.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:11 PM   #80
caseyjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Nice pic. Great work on your truck caseyjones.
Thank you!

Started on the passenger side and it’s more of the same. I did poke around up by the visor a little bit and it’s bad in that corner but seems solid everywhere else. I guess I’ll figure that out later.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2021, 11:49 PM   #81
SkinnyG

Proud of you.

And, seeing this, I am so very, very glad, that mine is done.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:19 PM   #82
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
Thank you!

Started on the passenger side and it’s more of the same. I did poke around up by the visor a little bit and it’s bad in that corner but seems solid everywhere else. I guess I’ll figure that out later.
I got you for the roof panel Metal.... PM sent to you.
This is looking great! I so feel your pain on the rust repair. i am such a perfectionist at times and damn that can drive a guy crazy. I can get to that point where i just say screw it, i am done, it is fine the way it is.... but then down the road a few days or weeks i get so mad at myself for not just doing it the way i really wanted to ... so i have learned to just take a few days off, do something different, work on house, shop cleaning, 7 week old Boston Terrier puppy (Girl).... this helps me to re-adjust my ideas and get back at the repair.
I am basically done with all the rust repair, now it is body work. Might as well be the same damn thing as rust repair. LOL
I am doing the body work on the cab now so i can get the floor seam sealed, along with the roof drip rail, then i can primer the cab, and get the firewall painted with POR 15 along with the cab floor, then install the sound deadner and finally test fit onto the frame again, for one last check and then paint. I see you mentioned painting earlier... I am like you in that i am not going to perfection on the body, Lord knows i am not perfect even as much as i try to be, so i am good with not perfect but nice. I have purchased Summit satin red single stage paint along with Primer to the truck. Total paint not including yours truely time, under 800.00, which is a awesome compared to the $8,000.00 to $10,000.00 i see guys paying for paint. I cannot do that... i would not drive it and if someone scratched it..... anyways.... looking great sir!! Nice to see trucks from nearby, one day we shall meet up.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #83
caseyjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
I got you for the roof panel Metal.... PM sent to you.
88Stanger, you are the man! You've made my day
Old 02-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #84
88Stanger

Quote:
88Stanger, you are the man! You've made my day
I just hope it is what you need. Note: the hole for the passenger side visor is not in the replacement part. With that said, you can put one in, but all of what i did not use on the passenger side is all there and shipped yesterday, UPS.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:41 PM   #85
cwcarpenter98

The reinforcement plate for the visor isn't there on the repop pieces either, so you'll need to save that from your original. Be careful on where you start cuttin'

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #86
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
The reinforcement plate for the visor isn't there on the repop pieces either, so you'll need to save that from your original. Be careful on where you start cuttin'
Good point! i barely missed mine at first, but then took a look in the front since that was all rusted out too... lol
Old 02-15-2021, 01:33 AM   #87
caseyjones

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I’m pretty nervous about what I’ll find in there...
Old 02-15-2021, 10:35 PM   #88
cwcarpenter98

You'll probably find a mouse nest

With the great work you've already done, this part probably won't be too much of a challenge for ya.

Also, check the drip rail on the outside of the roof. If there's some pinholes up there, or just a lack of seam sealer, you definitely want to take care of that, otherwise, all the work on the inside will be wasted from a leaky roof

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:39 AM   #89
caseyjones

Quote:
You'll probably find a mouse nest

With the great work you've already done, this part probably won't be too much of a challenge for ya.

Also, check the drip rail on the outside of the roof. If there's some pinholes up there, or just a lack of seam sealer, you definitely want to take care of that, otherwise, all the work on the inside will be wasted from a leaky roof
Thanks for the encouragement Christian. I tore into it and it really wasn't too bad.

I already replaced the seam sealer - it seems like it was missing for a really long time, leading to the damage I'm fixing all over the truck. Once i resealed the roof and cowl seams it took care of the water entering the truck from above.

I didn't take any in-process pictures of the roof patch replacement, but 88Stanger's panel was perfect. There's one little area where the weld blew through that I decided to leave alone for now. I think there was a pinhole there that I missed.

I got the passenger side floor/footwell/rocker replacement done too.

This fender is next.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:46 AM   #90
SkinnyG

I'm keen to see how you tackle this. My rusty fenders are staring at me, and I'm avoiding eye contact.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:01 AM   #91
88Stanger

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement Christian. I tore into it and it really wasn't too bad.

I already replaced the seam sealer - it seems like it was missing for a really long time, leading to the damage I'm fixing all over the truck. Once i resealed the roof and cowl seams it took care of the water entering the truck from above.

I didn't take any in-process pictures of the roof patch replacement, but 88Stanger's panel was perfect. There's one little area where the weld blew through that I decided to leave alone for now. I think there was a pinhole there that I missed.

I got the passenger side floor/footwell/rocker replacement done too.

This fender is next.

Happy it worked out for you, looks fantastic!!
Old 02-23-2021, 02:26 AM   #92
caseyjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I'm keen to see how you tackle this. My rusty fenders are staring at me, and I'm avoiding eye contact.
I just referred to the youtube gurus. Mostly the Gibson63 videos.

Ended up with this, so far.

The rear brace is too wide at the back where the flange folds over, I had to scribe and grind it back to get it to line up reasonably well.

I left the old skin and flange in place to help align the brace, but I messed up with the new skin somewhere and the edge along the door isn't straight. I'll have to grind it back and weld it to fix the door gap. I'm learning the hammer and dolly, trying to get the accessible part of the panel smooth. It's trial and error for sure. I know everyone says the reproduction fenders are bad, but man, I have a lot of time into this patch and I still don't feel great about it.

The fender closing panels were totally rotten too so I placed an order for those along with new seals and clips tonight. I need to fix the door gap and finish bending the lip around on this fender, then I can start on the other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Happy it worked out for you, looks fantastic!!
Thanks man. Compared to this fender, that was easy!

Last edited by caseyjones; 02-23-2021 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:18 AM   #93
caseyjones

More rust repair this week. I improved the fender-to-door gap by grinding down the folded-over edge, welding it back up, grinding and using a file to get a flat, straight edge. It's better but not perfect.

I also tackled the left side toeboard. I thought just skimming it with epoxy or something to fill what I thought were just a lot of pinholes, but the rust was worse than I thought. After I hit it with the wire wheel on the angle grinder I knew it had to come out.

The kick panel was rotten on the edge too, so it made it even more obvious that cutting it out would be best.

I was able to weld up some of the stuff closer to the center of the truck, so my cut only had to be on the outboard side of the stiffening rib. I still have a few holes to fill...if the floor is too think I'll have to make a pretty simple small patch.

I made the replacement patches out of leftovers from my floorboard patch panels, made for good hammer and dolly practice.

I welded it in from under the truck, just felt like it was easier to reach and get the grinder in there. Honestly turned out way better than I thought it would, and is definitely good enough for this truck. I am a little bummed that I lost the depression for the dimmer switch but it wasn't salvageable and I wasn't going to try to form that by hand.

I'll have to fill those few holes and then I can move on to the fender, and then I'm done with the rust!

Last edited by caseyjones; 02-28-2021 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:12 PM   #94
caseyjones

I've finally finished the rust repair and it feels pretty good. I took a different approach to fender this time - I left the majority of the original lip intact, installed the brace, then folded over the lip on the new skin on my vise anvil before fitting it to the fender. that left a much flatter, better reference for the back edge. This side had a much worse mismatch with the shape at the fender lip than the passenger side though. I worked it for quite a while to get the patch to line up and it's still not great. I replaced the splash shields and the rubber seals against the firewall while I was in there.

I put the sheetmetal all back together since the guy at the NAPA paint store is having a hard time with the match. I kind of want to drive it as-is for a bit to make sure I got seam sealer in all the right places and don't have any other surprise leak paths.
I'm switching up the wheels-got the fronts painted and new tires mounted today. Summit says the rears that I ordered Christmas day will ship this week...we'll see...
Old 03-10-2021, 07:08 PM   #95
88Stanger

great work!
Old 03-10-2021, 09:56 PM   #96
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Love it! Such a natural beauty.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:15 AM   #97
66C10LB

Good to see this progressing! Looks good.
66C10LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:48 AM   #98
caseyjones

Thanks everybody! As I suspected, wheels are not on the way this week. I’ll keep the order but start watching the classifieds too...
Old 03-20-2021, 11:02 PM   #99
caseyjones

Wheels are "expected to arrive" at Summit 6/18/21. So I put a few weld boogers on the truck rally wheels so they would hold the Chevelle caps on, painted them white and figured they'd pass until/if I get the new wheels.

Weather looks like it gets better next weekend which will be perfect for painting the new bed wood. Hoping the NAPA paint store guy has figured out how to match the green on the truck so I can paint the fenders/rockers/box side cuts next week too.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #100
88Stanger

Looking great. I have had a hydra-boost on order with Speedway for two months plus now and it may still be another month out, Not that i need it yet but soon. lol.