The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2002, 11:20 PM   #1
racedvl
Account Suspended

Question Broken manifold stud.

Well, on my little 305 project I had a broken exhaust manifold bolt. Actually I had 2. The first one came out with and easy out. The second one still has the easy out broken inside it... If any of you have ever tried to drill one of them out, you would know that it's not soo easy. And ideas? BTW, I was heating it up with a torch.
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 11:57 PM   #2
68 Stepside
huh?

TTT
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 12:23 AM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Broken eay outs arent fun,the only way I know is to take a punch & hammer, & try to break it out. It will shatter better than it will drill........do wear goggles! good luck.....Al
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 10:46 PM   #4
racedvl
Account Suspended

Hhhhmm, haven't heard that one yet. I got a cobolt (?) drill bit for hardend steel, and if that don't do it, I will difinatly try that idea!! Thanks.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:53 PM   #5
Tim Christian

Smile

You need a carbine bit (spelling)
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 11:11 PM   #6
racedvl
Account Suspended

I got one, It didn't really do anything.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:42 AM   #7
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

The easyout is too hard too drill and too soft to break up, so this creates quite a problem. If you have access to an elox machine, (tap disentegrator), this is the easy, quick way to get the easyout removed. Assuming that you don't have access to one than here is a method which may work to get the broken part out.
I assume that the easyout is broken off level with the surface of the stud or below level so that you can't grasp it to turn it out.

Set up your manifold so that you can see the stud clearly and grind the stud surface so that it is flat or nearly flat. Work on the wall of the stud, (the wall between the manifold threads and the hole where the easyout is stuck). With a sharp center punch punch a circle of marks in the surface and drill the wall of the stud with the largest drill that you can but still clear the threads. It is probably going to be a rather small drill. You will want to drill as many holes as possible in the stud so as to weaken the wall and hopefully remove enough wall to be able to grasp the easy out to twist it out. If you are carefull you can drill the wall without hurting the threads. If the easyout is too large for this, method than you can always drill into the threads and install a helicoil or other replacement threads.

Good luck!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote