The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #1
sobayshortbed

pros and cons with 4L65E

I see the difference in appearence, but all im reading about is 4L60E and 4L80E transmissions. Is there any difference in getting a wire harness with that trans?
sobayshortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
clinebarger

Re: pros and cons with 4L65E

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobayshortbed View Post
I see the difference in appearence, but all im reading about is 4L60E and 4L80E transmissions. Is there any difference in getting a wire harness with that trans?
4L60E & 4L65Es are light duty transmissions, The 4L65E is a little stronger than a 60E. They are great for stock & mild 4.8, 5.3, 5.7 & 6.0s.

The 4L80E & 4L85E are heavy duty truck transmissions, They are heavy, & sap alot of power from the engine, But they handle alot of horsepower & torque. If your not making over 400 horsepower you dont need a 4L80E.

A 4L60E wiring harness can be modified to run a 4L80E & vice versa. The PCM will need to be programed to match the transmission your running.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
sobayshortbed

thanks for the info, do you know what trans this is, i was told by the guy i got it from it was a 4l65e but im thinkin it is either a 6l80e or 6l90e.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
clinebarger

Thats a 6L50E/6L80E/6L90E. You will need a Gen IV engine & controller to run that transmission, It WILL NOT work with a Gen III engine.

With engine are you using?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
sobayshortbed

It is a complete setup and the motor is a gen IV, I have the wire harness but no brains for the motor and trans. Thanks for the info, is there any way to tell which one it is?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
clinebarger

Do you have a VIN for the truck the engine came out of? The good news is the TCM (transmission control module) is inside the transmission. I just hope you have the harness for the 6 speed (Not all Gen IV engines had this style transmission) & a VIN would be the easy way to know.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
sobayshortbed

i do not have a vin for the vehicle it came out of but i was told it was an 07 2500hd, i have the complete wiring harness for the motor and trans just not the ecu. here is a pic of the sticker on the side of the trans, im not sure if this tells anything and the spline count on the output shaft is 36.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobayshortbed View Post
i do not have a vin for the vehicle it came out of but i was told it was an 07 2500hd, i have the complete wiring harness for the motor and trans just not the ecu. here is a pic of the sticker on the side of the trans, im not sure if this tells anything and the spline count on the output shaft is 36.
If it came out of a 2500 it should be a 6L90E. What trans was behind your Gen IV engine originally??

Heres some info on the 6L90E

Gear Ratios

1st Gear Ratio 4.027
2nd Gear Ratio 2.364
3rd Gear Ratio 1.532
4th Gear Ratio 1.152
5th Gear Ratio 0.852
6th Gear Ratio 0.667
Reverse 3.064

Overview

The Hydra-Matic 6L90 is six-speed automatic transmission for rear- and four-wheel-drive trucks, designed with modular flexibility and compatibility with advanced electronic controls. It is a heavy-duty version of the 6L80 six-speed automatic, with a strengthened input gearset which has two additional pinion gears for six total, and a strengthened output gearset, that uses wider gears than the 6L80. The 6L90 shares about 75 percent of the parts as the 6L80, although the case of the 6L90 is 35mm longer than the 6L80 case.

The 6L90 has the capability for adaptive shift controls and other features such as grade braking, and Driver Shift Control with tap up/tap down shifting. A wide overall ratio spread of 6.04:1 allows a “steep” first gear, as well as very “tall” overdrive top gear for low-rpm highway cruising. With this wide ratio spread, acceleration is maximized, as is fuel economy. Engine noise is also lower during cruising. Both fifth and sixth gears are “overdrive” gears, for example.

As in the 6L80, gear changes from second to sixth gears are accomplished with clutch-to-clutch control, where an oncoming clutch is engaged and an “offgoing” clutch is released in a precise manner to achieve the ratio change. The first-to-second upshift, however, is a freewheeling action, where the second gear clutch engages while the first gear one-way clutch spins freely. This allows a greater degree of smoothness at lower vehicle speeds. The clutch-to-clutch shifting and single freewheeler allows significant reductions in packaging requirements.

Advances in transmission control modules allow the modules to exist reliably inside the transmission, where temperatures remain fairly constant compared to a body-mounted module. The transmission and module are assembled together, so no additional steps are necessary during vehicle assembly.

The 32-bit transmission control module (TCM) monitors transmission performance and compensates for normal wear in components such as clutch plates, so transmission performance remains consistent for the life of the transmission. The control module also “tests” the components of the transmission following assembly to optimize the interaction of the components. The module is compatible with future global applications.

DEXRON® VI premium fluid validated to improve durability and shift stability. It was designed specifically and validated for the new family of GM six-speed automatic transmissions.

The 6L90 variant of the new Hydra-Matic six-speed automatics centers on the desire for common components and manufacturing tooling. The 6L90 six-speed contains three gearsets, a conventional input planetary gearset with four pinion gears, as well as one compound output gearset and one simple output gearset. The compound output gearset uses three sets of pinion gear pairs, with one set of pinions meshing with the sun gear and the other set with the ring gear. This arrangement allows for optimal ratio steps with a 6.04 overall ratio spread.

The torque converter is 300mm in diameter, and is available initially with a single-plate lockup clutch, which makes use of GM’s proprietary electronic controlled capacity clutch (ECCC) technology, which uses a small, regulated amount of slip to dampen out engine pulses. This creates a smoother running drivetrain, especially during shift events.

1 - Model Year
2 - Model Code
3 - Transmission Family
4 - Transmission Assembly Number
5 - Julian date
6 - Sequential Serial Number
7 - Source Code
8 - Broadcast Code
9 - Bar Code
10 - Transmission I.D.
Attached Images