The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
conoco

I got cold feet

Man, So I bought the sniper EFI system and I also purchased the full Hyperspark system to accompany it. I ordered the stuff last week and it is all sitting on my work bench while I am up here on the oil fields. I have lost sleep because all I wanted to do was get home and install this system. So being at work the last 6 days I have really immersed myself in all the install videos, read the instruction manual 6 or 7 times and was just trying to prepare myself to get it up and running.

Then, the more I researched, the more all these posts and complaints started coming up about all the various problems with sensors, RFI, injectors and a number of other things. Even on the 4 facebook holley EFI forums I joint it seemed to be nothing but problems, The consensus on the fix was sending the unit back to holley and they would fix it and send it back, however the problems still remained. I just dont have time for that.

Now, I understand probably 70 percent of the people that had problems was because of a crappy install, and I also understand there are people who love there systems!! I very well could have installed mine and it ran awesome! Like I always wanted. But, I really need my truck to take my boys fishing and I really don't have time in the short summers of alaska to wait for replacement stuff if things to go sideways.

I was laying in bed and realized I have a 8 month old Edelbrock AVS2 that for the last 8 months has been awesome. Super reliable, truck runs great even after the many different jet set ups and everything else. So my brain was quietly telling me why would you go to something you are not absolutely confident in working. Again, I am sure it is a great product which is why so many are sold. It wasn't the install I was worried about, I was prepared and I am good with mechanical stuff, for me it was just the unknown of if I would get a crappy unit that I was constantly having problems with like so many others.

So, I sent it back today and instead I ordered the PROGRESSION IGNITION Distributor, which I am happy about. The thing I was really looking forward to the sniper was being able to adjust timing on the fly and through all the RPM ranges. This progression ignition distributor from what I have read is awesome and I have been eyeing it the last year and just never went that route. If anyone has experience with this system I would love to hear about it Good or Bad, it looks like I will really be able to dive into what I wanted from the get go. I also thought about going with the edelbrock PRO-FLO but after buying the gearvendors unit the pro flo is a little out of my price range right now. Maybe one day. If anyone has experience or has this installed I would also love to get your opinion on that system.

So in my garage I have my new gear vendors unit and the efi that was suppose to be installed, My mind is at ease now though and I'm not anxious anymore. I have no doubt the AVS2 will be even more fun to drive once the gear vendors unit is on and I know it will be just as reliable as it has been thus far. No more worries. Sorry for the long post I just wanted to share my thoughts on this, I am sure there are plenty of people that were in the same boat and maybe went ahead with the install anyway ( I hope everything really worked out for them) I probably would have loved mine, and maybe one day I will install it, but I am gonna see how this new distro and gear vendors works for a while. Once summer hits I will be gone fish'in!! Be safe everyone.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
georgieb51

Re: I got cold feet

I love the photos! This is what life is all about. Enjoying it! Nice truck!
1967 Chevy K10 Short Stepside, unrestored original.
1969 GMC CST (Longhorn) 396, buckets, unrestored.
1995 GMC K2500, 65,000 miles, 454.
georgieb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:52 PM   #3
MySons68C20

Pro Flo is great. We have had a very good experience with that system if and when you go that direction.You did the right thing for now enjoy and thanks for the awesome pics!
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:50 PM   #4
jimijam00

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post
Now, I understand probably 70 percent of the people that had problems was because of a crappy install
My guess is that is much higher and probably closer to 90+%. I'm not on those Holley fartbook forums because the system I have on my Chevelle was installed correctly the first time. I know at least a dozen people personally that have these systems and none of them have had problems. YMMV.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:11 PM   #5
MySons68C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
My guess is that is much higher and probably closer to 90+%. I'm not on those Holley fartbook forums because the system I have on my Chevelle was installed correctly the first time. I know at least a dozen people personally that have these systems and none of them have had problems. YMMV.
The fartbook comment made we laugh out loud ha ha!! ( I couldn't agree more) We are working on an LS build right now and considering the Terminator system.
I appreciate the constructive comments which are logical and open minded.
Thank you.

Blake

Last edited by MySons68C20; 10-19-2021 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Don't remember
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:35 PM   #6
slikside

Hey, you made the right decision for you and your boys, and that’s all that really matters.

Awesome pics, and great times, I’m sure!
Old 10-19-2021, 11:36 PM   #7
tdangle

One thing to keep in mind is people who have problems/complaints are the ones that are the loudest and want to tell everyone their woes. Think about it when is the last time you wrote a glowing review? With that said, I also have an AVS2 and progression HEI ignition. Love them. My truck has never run better. One nice thing about the ignition is that you can increase the timing a speeds lower than idle to make up for A/C coming on or just load from the torque converter in an auto trans. Especially helpful when you have a low LSA cam that doesn't really like to idle at 6-650 rpm. Also like the lock feature, I use it all the time as these trucks are way to easy to steal. And incase you are wondering, no I have not posted reviews on either of my components.

Good luck with your truck. It's way more fun to drive than to always be working on it

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:05 AM   #8
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
Your probably right brother, for some reason after all the research I just can't get comfortable and confident. When I first bought the system last week I was super excited and still am. I tried to be proactive listening to what all the successful guys on the Holley form had advised ( read the manual multiple times, make sure the engine is in great shape prior etc..... So then I started getting all these group invites on Facebook for the Holley pages. I joined because I figured it would be a great way to learn even more and it is just every day one after the other of people pissed because a sensor went out, or the ECU is bad and Holley wants them to send it back for a new one. After reading all this crap for a week I just kinda froze up.
I know there are tons of people running these systems and they are awesome, that's why I bought it. I'm gonna take the winter and tear into my stroker motor and confirm it is in great shape, then maybe I will buy the kit and install. Just had a bad feeling and I'm at a point where I can still turn around and not regret anything.
Again, not a doubt in my mind most of those issues are purely install related or not knowing how to tune. I'm not trying to talk crap about Holley and I hope nobody takes it that way. Tens of thousands of people buy there products and they do for a reason.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:13 AM   #9
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
One thing to keep in mind is people who have problems/complaints are the ones that are the loudest and want to tell everyone their woes. Think about it when is the last time you wrote a glowing review? With that said, I also have an AVS2 and progression HEI ignition. Love them. My truck has never run better. One nice thing about the ignition is that you can increase the timing a speeds lower than idle to make up for A/C coming on or just load from the torque converter in an auto trans. Especially helpful when you have a low LSA cam that doesn't really like to idle at 6-650 rpm. Also like the lock feature, I use it all the time as these trucks are way to easy to steal. And incase you are wondering, no I have not posted reviews on either of my components.

Good luck with your truck. It's way more fun to drive than to always be working on it
I'm pretty excited man! I really think for now this set up will be great for running through the mountains to our favorite fishing hole!! Specially with the gear vendors!! Glad you like yours makes me that much more excited.
I will go to EFI one day it's just not today
Old 10-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #10
Davidf

Cool truck for sure!

I think you fell in the "forum" trap. You should keep in mind that most people who post negative things in forums is because they are having trouble with a product and need help. Just think of all the people who are totally happy with a product and it just works as it should...you rarely hear their stories. I think Holley products are top notch and well thought out...you probably would have enjoyed the benefits and I am sure you would have done the install properly given your concerns.

But, in the end, if carburetion is working well for you, keep it.

For me, I wanted the modern turn the key and go, good fuel economy and smooth idle always even with a/c on. So, I went the LS swap route and will never look back even though I am having a knock sensor circuit problem currently.

Last edited by Davidf; 10-20-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:19 AM   #11
KW5413

The only problem I had with the Sniper on my '76 Cutlass was the return spring issues you probably read about. A quick easy fix. I am also fortunate to have two, Holley certified, excellent programmers 5 minutes from the house and have that sucker fine tuned to the 'enth degree.

They tell me that most of the issues are self induced and / or bad "professionally" installed units. They also tell me that Holley customer service is top shelf. If there is a "Holley" problem they get on it pretty quick.

Good luck fishing with the boys and keep stacking those memories.
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:16 PM   #12
tdangle

Quote:
I'm pretty excited man! I really think for now this set up will be great for running through the mountains to our favorite fishing hole!! Specially with the gear vendors!! Glad you like yours makes me that much more excited.
I will go to EFI one day it's just not today
My feelings exactly. One day maybe the proflow, but until then I just can't fault the AVS2 and programmable HEI.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #13
57larry

I'll stay with my carb which I some what understand
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:46 PM   #14
FRCvette

I put the Holley sniper on my 70 when I owned it back in 2017. Was by far the best thing I did to my truck. Drove it for a year no problems at all before I sold it. Big mistake.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:54 AM   #15
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
My feelings exactly. One day maybe the proflow, but until then I just can't fault the AVS2 and programmable HEI.
Funny I was just looking at the edelbrock super charger for carb set ups. Looks pretty awesome Expensive but awesome!! I do hope to go efi in the future, I will definitely post when I do. This forum has been great for me for so many things! Stay safe brother!
Old 10-21-2021, 11:46 AM   #16
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRCvette View Post
I put the Holley sniper on my 70 when I owned it back in 2017. Was by far the best thing I did to my truck. Drove it for a year no problems at all before I sold it. Big mistake.
I am sure everything would have been ok, maybe I will regret it, or wait until i get the confidence again and roll with it. I really do want efi but I really need my truck too Glad yours worked awesome. I hope I am never in the position to have to sell my rig, I will if I have too but it sure would be difficult.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #17
El Dorado Jim

i have heard great things about the edelbrock avs2 carb, i have the edelbrock 1406 carb on mine, it works great, what is so much better about the avs2? my son bought an avs2 but hasnt put it on his truck yet.....also, i have an sm465/205 in my truck,with 4:10 gears front and rear, i bought a gear vendor used, im going to put it in my truck, the adapter is $700 i think , thats why i havent done it yet, when are you going to install yours,and do you have the sm465/205? just wondering what im going to get into doing this..
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:23 PM   #18
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
i have heard great things about the edelbrock avs2 carb, i have the edelbrock 1406 carb on mine, it works great, what is so much better about the avs2? my son bought an avs2 but hasnt put it on his truck yet.....also, i have an sm465/205 in my truck,with 4:10 gears front and rear, i bought a gear vendor used, im going to put it in my truck, the adapter is $700 i think , thats why i havent done it yet, when are you going to install yours,and do you have the sm465/205? just wondering what im going to get into doing this..
The AVS2 is mostly praised for it's great throttle response, It was configured for ideal street performance in small block engines and some big blocks. The 1406 is 600 CFM and the 1906 is 650, You don't have to worry about the negative effects of exhaust gas recirculation because it is a non-EGR carb, which usually hampers performance and takes down the coolant used to cool off the system. The annular boosters were also developed for fuel fragmentation to extinguish flat spots. Ever booster includes 8 evenly spaced apertures to provide better fuel metering.

I think the 1406 is a great carb, but when I got the avs2 and the jet kit the throttle response was night and day different. A properly tuned carb no matter what is is will be great.

As far as my truck, I will will be installing it this weekend, it will be going on a 1972 / GMC / Sierra Grande / k2500 / 4x4 / 383 stroker / np205 / Eaton ho52 in the rear / 4.11 gears / 35" tires and a TH-350.

I have taken my truck on many long distance fishing trips up mountain roads and it has always done great, but I truly cant wait to get over drive and also be able to split the gears when I need too. If the gear vendors can drop me to 2500 rpm at 65-70 mph I will be super stoked!! right now I am currently at 3300 rpms at 65-70. My engine has about 10,000 miles on it and I really don't want it working that hard all the time. Really hoping I love it as much as I think I will. I'll send you a private message on the install incase you wanna know some of the stuff I might have issues with. It should be pretty strain forward though.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:13 PM   #19
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
The AVS2 is mostly praised for it's great throttle response, It was configured for ideal street performance in small block engines and some big blocks. The 1406 is 600 CFM and the 1906 is 650, You don't have to worry about the negative effects of exhaust gas recirculation because it is a non-EGR carb, which usually hampers performance and takes down the coolant used to cool off the system. The annular boosters were also developed for fuel fragmentation to extinguish flat spots. Ever booster includes 8 evenly spaced apertures to provide better fuel metering.

I think the 1406 is a great carb, but when I got the avs2 and the jet kit the throttle response was night and day different. A properly tuned carb no matter what is is will be great.

As far as my truck, I will will be installing it this weekend, it will be going on a 1972 / GMC / Sierra Grande / k2500 / 4x4 / 383 stroker / np205 / Eaton ho52 in the rear / 4.11 gears / 35" tires and a TH-350.

I have taken my truck on many long distance fishing trips up mountain roads and it has always done great, but I truly cant wait to get over drive and also be able to split the gears when I need too. If the gear vendors can drop me to 2500 rpm at 65-70 mph I will be super stoked!! right now I am currently at 3300 rpms at 65-70. My engine has about 10,000 miles on it and I really don't want it working that hard all the time. Really hoping I love it as much as I think I will. I'll send you a private message on the install incase you wanna know some of the stuff I might have issues with. It should be pretty strain forward though.
thanks for all the info, and yeah it would be great if you would let me know how the gear vendor install goes, my truck tachs about 3000 or a little more going 70, cant wait til i get mine in
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote