The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2009, 01:39 AM   #1
The Big Green

Need tire info, and help hooking

I had 14in mag slots that I had $100 in, on my "91 S-10. I talked to a guy that was selling an S-10 roller, and ended up talking him out of the Draglites. They have brand new tires on them, stickers still on back tires. They have 165/r15 front tires and 26/10 M/T Sportsman Pro tires on back. I gave him mine and $400. Here's the deal, they are soft rubber but I still can't hook. I don't know much about these tires, how good are they? Right now I'm stock rearend and not quite sure what gears, I heard they were 3.55 from the PO?
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Re: Need tire info, and help hooking

Cal tracs... Bars with bite Made my pile Hook went from 2.20 60 fts to 1.67s
KQQL IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

couple of things are you using all the tire??? what I mean is are you getting good contact....if you remember back in the day drag cars had a big white stripe on the side of the wheel...it has 2 uses...1 you can see tire spin...2 and most important

the white ( shoe polish with the sponge end) line goes about 1" onto the side wall and 1" into the thread....once the tire is spun or even driven on it will wear off the white where it makes tire contact with the road....subtract 2 lbs for every 1/4" of tire not touching and vise versa add till it just wears even on the edge......

OLD SCHOOL IS KOOL

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
383Ram

Hottrucks is on the right track. You first must find the proper tire pressure. Also a simple procedure is find a clean patch of road and do a burnout and drive out of it---try to get a good foot or two of patch on the pavement. Do NOT sit there and obliterate the tire. Get out and look at the contact patch on the road. I would suggest 20lbs to start with.

If you see lines on either side of the burnout mark and nothing in the middle, add 2lbs of air and try again.

If you see a skinny contact patch in the middle that does not equal the width of your tread, take out two lbs and try again.

You want a even patch all across that matches very closely your tread width. Once you find this, see how the truck is. As stated Cal-tracs are wonderful and work great---but they are not a cure for inadaquate tire pressure. When i had my car i didnt see as great an improvement as above, but i still knocked off .15 seconds off my 60ft.

454/4 speed, '85 Dodge Ram hybrid build in progress

454, PP heads, Dual 500 CFM cabs, 'Vette manifolds. First time out---spinning for half track

Slooowww build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348050

Engine build thread at: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326289

Last edited by 383Ram; 10-10-2009 at 09:57 AM.
383Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

oh did I mention it works great for the fronts too....and your passenger car or what ever your DD is..the manufacturer recomended tire presure is just that recomended..they have to cover there Azz if the vechical is used to the max payload ...but in the real world most of us are driving with far less than that so a softer tire not only rides better but also gives better traction and tire wear...I would say that 90% of the tires I take off my vech. are worn out from side wall to side wall FLAT across...
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
couple of things are you using all the tire??? what I mean is are you getting good contact....if you remember back in the day drag cars had a big white stripe on the side of the wheel...it has 2 uses...1 you can see tire spin...2 and most important

the white ( shoe polish with the sponge end) line goes about 1" onto the side wall and 1" into the thread....once the tire is spun or even driven on it will wear off the white where it makes tire contact with the road....subtract 2 lbs for every 1/4" of tire not touching and vise versa add till it just wears even on the edge......

OLD SCHOOL IS KOOL
There is actually 3 uses . The 2 above + look at the white shoe polish color and seeif you are putting too much heat in the tire . If the shoe polish is burnt or brown at the edge of the contact patch to much burn out .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget