The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
SinlessVillainy

My '69 GMC LWB Step Side Build

Hey everyone! Let me first introduce myself. My name is Zeb and I grew up as a truck enthusiast. Minis, full size, new, old, classics, I don't care as long as it's dropped. I got rid of my last truck project in exchange for a VW Jetta TDI and way better MPG. I have missed having a truck ever since.

A little history... When I was 15 years old, a friend of mine and fellow truck enthusiast began building a '72 Chevy C10. I immediately fell in love with the '67-72 GM trucks. As I watched and followed his build, I KNEW I had to get a 67-72 someday. Side note for the youngsters: Back then the equivalent of a build thread was looking at photographs, yes 4x6 PRINTED photographs, that he brought to class, talking about the truck and the work done, AND by actually visiting his garage to see it in person. I always liked the GMC over the Chevy just because of the front end and quad headlights. Over the last 16 years from time to time I have looked for one as a project, but either came up empty or found them selling for a premium. I always figured I'd eventually find one. People talk about dream cars. A 67-72 has always been mine. For the last month or so I have been bored with the VW. I was tired of it. A couple of weeks ago I was talking to one of my truck friends and mentioned to him that I really needed a project and preferably a truck to get me back to my previous world. The next morning on my way to work I passed a '69 C15 for sale. I quickly turned around and went back to check it out.

It looked a little rough and definitely needed a lot of work. I almost didn't call because I figured the asking price would be ridiculous. Then a friend told me he was asking $850 for it. I called immediately. This conversation took place.

Me: I'm calling about the GMC.
Seller: It's a 1969 GMC C15. I'm asking $850 for it.
Me: Does it have an engine?
Seller: Yeah it's got an engine. It runs good too. 292 straight six with a 4 speed manual.
Me: I'm coming to look at it after work!

So I went and checked it out. The fenders are beat, the rockers are rusted and need to be replaced, windshield is cracked, it needs a new wood bed, fenders, bumpers, etc, etc. The truck has been unregistered for 10 years and was a project he just didn't have time for. He's currently got a '58 Bel Air and '58 Panel he's working on. He said he thought it just needed a wiper switch to pass inspection. I test drove it and it drove great! I went home that night and began pricing parts. The next day I told him that if he could hold onto it until I got paid that I definitely wanted it. He called that night and said someone offered him $900 cash for it. I told him I'd give him $900 and put down a deposit on it the next day and would pay him the rest when I got paid. This truck was not going to escape me.

I went and picked it up last week. I figured that since it ran, I would drive it across town. I filled it up with gas and began my way across town. I began hearing one of the tires coming apart. He had old used tires on it. I was hoping to make it home, but nope...blowout.

No spare, no jack, no tools. I called the seller up and asked if he had a spare and explained what happened. He came out and changed the tire and everything. Great guy IMO! I drove it on home and parked it in the driveway. Even with the blowout I still had a blast driving it home.

This last weekend I began tearing into it to see what I need. The wiper switch definitely needs to be replaced. The turn signal switch needs to be replaced. All of the lights work and just need a couple of bulbs replaced. I need to rewire the horn as well. That's all it needs to get it to pass inspection and get it registered and back on the road where it belongs. My plans originally were to do a full restoration, but the more I look at this truck the more I really admire the character it has after 43 years of life. I was also originally planning on putting the rockers on the ground, but I would also like to still be able to use the truck as a truck and be able to make trips to the lumberyard. So I'm still debating it. I plan on tackling it in phases.

Phase 1: Ready To Rock!
  • Wiper Switch
  • Turn signal switch
  • Rewire horn
  • Bulb replacement
  • New tires
  • New door handles inside and out
  • Window regulator repair
  • New window handles
  • New wood bed
  • New mirrors
  • Pedals and pedal cover replacement
  • Windshield replacement

Phase 2: Surgery
  • Replace rockers
  • Replace any other areas that are not functioning as is

Phase 3: The Details
  • Interior - Carpet, seats, door panels, dash, glovebox, gauges, etc.
  • Suspension part 1 - Still trying to decide static or air for this phase
  • Wheels and tires
  • Replace the grill with new chrome pieces
  • New chrome bumpers
  • Upgrade the lighting
  • Replace the emblems

Phase 4: Powwah!!
  • Engine swap - Still kicking around ideas

Phase 5: Rockers Meet Ground
  • Put her in the dirt - Again, I'm still debating this phase
SinlessVillainy is offline   Reply With Quote