The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #26
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Yet another spray paint comparison thread!

I don't know about you guys but I am a firm believer there is such a thing as Too Many Choices. Don't know what I'm talking about? Well the next time you run out of toothpaste or deodorant, don't send the ol' lady to fetch it, you do it, ha ha

so here we have it, yet another flavor of rusty metal primer from RUST-OLEUM

up to this point I only knew of the one on the left, it is my favorite and my best, but as I went to place an order on The Amazon for more of it I spied with my little eye this other guy on the right (it costs $4.27 so half as much as the one I was using $9.75)

what's the difference other than the price and the can logo - I have no idea, even the color appears to be the same

this is exactly precisely why I embarked on this self masochist journey - to figure this stuff out, or die trying - so I email RUST-OLEUM Tech Support
UPDATE: (4 days later)
"Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

These primers perform the same way but #249330 is labeled as Automotive and the #7769830 is the consumer version.

I hope this information was helpful! If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us."
... did I mention one costs twice as much as the other ?!
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 04-27-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #27
Gregski
Post Whore

Up next, same primer (cause Greg aka mongocanfly hasn't told us about the Professional line yet, ha ha and so I already sprayed it with the [ahem] amateur primer) and the RUST-OLEUM Professional Semi Gloss - Yeah!

hours later...

it does cover well, I did two medium coats on it, and a can can handle one inner fender both sides front and back with some left over! now just to see how it looks dry, we don't want flat black that's so 80s we want Satin

Result: Too Glossy
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 04-24-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:18 PM   #28
Gregski
Post Whore

here is a side by side comparison of the first two Challengers to each other in natural light - outdoors

the winner (in my opinion and you form your own please) RUST-OLEUM Matte from Home Depot on the buttom (passenger side inner fender)

and the too shinny RUST-OLEUM Semi Gloss from LOWE'S on the top (driver side inner fender)

keep in mind the Champion thus far is actually the KRYLON Semi Flat (see if keeping that straight doesn't drive you crazy - ha ha)
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 05-09-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:23 PM   #29
Gregski
Post Whore

and here's a quick looksie at them under fluorescent lighting in the garage

from left to right:

RUST-OLEUM Matte from Home Depot on the left (passenger side inner fender)

RUST-OLEUM Semi Gloss from LOWE'S on the right (driver side inner fender)
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 05-09-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:33 PM   #30
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I use both the matte and semigloss in the professional line...have quite a few cans of both...
I did my inners in semigloss..didnt think it was all that shiny..just a little maybe, but not bad

What you need is a large surface...like a old hood...lay it out in grids..say 8x8ins.or.10x10ins..then you'll have all the colors and shades on one panel

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:50 PM   #31
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
I use both the matte and semigloss in the professional line...have quite a few cans of both...
Greg I don't see matte in their professional line, did you mean flat?
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2020, 11:30 PM   #32
mongocanfly
Post Whore

My bad...the matte is not the professional paint...or rustoleum....its krylon...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
Old 04-24-2020, 11:33 PM   #33
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
My bad...the matte is not the professional paint...or rustoleum....its krylon...
No worries, which one is it, is it the one I already evaluated above with the orange car with a hood stripe on the can?
Old 04-24-2020, 11:39 PM   #34
mongocanfly
Post Whore

This one
Attached Images

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 04-24-2020, 11:43 PM   #35
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
This one
ha ha yup KRYLON makes great stuff, I have the same can but mine says SATIN on it, and it is the king of hues, I have had no reason to try yours after shooting this one that's how much I love it

~ UPDATE April 29, 2020 per Pep Boys manager who contacted KRYLON this paint has been DISCONTINUED !!! ~
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 04-29-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #36
Gregski
Post Whore

so this morning before stripping that driver side Semi Gloss inner fender and starting over, I decided to try and tone it down with some VHT Satin clear I had laying around left over from painting some cylinder heads (in a cylinder head paint shoot out - yes the thread is out there somewhere, ha ha)

Satin being the key word! Hate to introduce yet another brand into the mix, but it is what it is, it's all part of the madness.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 04-25-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #37
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Years ago I tried rattle can clear..results were bad...cant remember the brand...

Want more challenge...get some duplicolor..its a very good rattle can paint

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 04-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #38
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Years ago I tried rattle can clear..results were bad...cant remember the brand...
Yup, do you remember if it was matte or flat, I talked to a professional painter at a his supply shop and he said it took the industry a while to figure out how to sell flat clear in a spray can, I don't recall the math, ha ha
Old 04-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #39
Gregski
Post Whore

so I think I am about to drive myself mad over this, it appears the Satin clear did flatten the Semi-Gloss (right) quite nicely, however now I like that fender better than the Matte one (left), because the Matte one now appears greenish, see if you can notice it too, or am I loosing my mind?

I think we should at least agree they DON'T match, ha ha
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #40
Getter-Done

Thanks for spending the time to share your info and results.
I have tried different techniques and paint over the years.
Some were real good and some not so good.
Subbed in on this great thread.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:15 PM   #41
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
What you need is a large surface...like a old hood...lay it out in grids..say 8x8ins.or.10x10ins..then you'll have all the colors and shades on one panel
Hey Greg I really appreciate all your feedback so please don't stop, however we will disagree from time to time. This is one of those times.

I recall a while ago the wife and I bringing home paint sample squares from Home Depot and holding them up to our walls in our newly built clinically white house. Then we picked our favorite colors and painted the walls with them, sat back and said WTF these colors do not look good here at all, unlike the squares did, ha ha

Same goes for what I am doing with car paint, I know it is wasteful and time consuming, but I played the tape off small sections and paint them different colors or textures game before and it just doesn't work for me, more power to you all if it works for you, but if it doesn't you're not alone, ha ha

I need to paint an entire darn piece in order for my eyes and pea sized brain to compare them in their entire glory, in this case it also works out since I just happen to have two inner fenders, that doesn't work for hoods (know what I mean)

there are different shapes and bends and twists that you can only pick up on the different hues if you cover the entire piece, a flat perfect square or rectangle can lie to you, and by you I mean me

so not renting, just telling you all where i am coming from, hope this helps
Old 04-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #42
mongocanfly
Post Whore

No problem....not cheap, but theres always speed shapes...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 04-25-2020, 03:44 PM   #43
Gregski
Post Whore

alright, now what? don't we have more paint to test, and need another piece / part to paint?

... 15 minutes after noon - hold my beer!

it's off a Square body but it will do (the Russian judge will allow it, ha ha)
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #44
blazer2007

Just wondering Gregski,have you ever dabbled in painting with a gun with rust paint ?
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:05 AM   #45
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
Just wondering Gregski,have you ever dabbled in painting with a gun with rust paint ?
I have not, the closest I came to it was purchasing the purple spray gun from Harbor Freight and hanging it on my peg board in the garage. I fully intended on painting an entire car/truck some day but we went through an insane house moving phase (4 homes in 6 years I think) finally three years ago we bought a house again so I am in the process of setting up my garage / shop the way I want / need it again.

I also had two air compressors and like an idiot sold them both so now I am without an air compressor, if you all can recommend one that is good for painting as well as media blasting I am all ears. My only requirement is quiet or extra quiet, I recall seeing one labeled that couple years ago, I forgot where, and I know nothing about one phase, two phase, three phase motors, ha ha.

In unrelated news, I brushed on POR15 on both an entire '68 Mustang engine bay and it came out craptacular, and on my '74 C10 engine frame and it's peeling off, and yet I fell for it a third time and brushed it on my Muncie SM465 transmission and that came out a different color than expected! Yes I used their Metal Prep and Cleaner Degreaser as instructed. Very disappointed in that product, their motto seems to be more focused on marketing and advertising than product quality, and boy do they have a lot of newbs fooled, just my two cents, and my two cents are free, ha ha
Old 04-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #46
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Por15 is commonly referred to as snake oil....I wouldnt put it on anything...theres a reason you dont see any of the well known builders using it

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 04-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #47
Gregski
Post Whore

today we will shoot our third challenger the KRYLON Color Master (Paint + Primer) with durable Cover Max technology (wtf, it's right there on the can, you can't make this stuff up) Black Satin from Pep Boys.

Honestly I think this is the product that will give our King the KRYLON Rust Tough Enamel Semi Flat a run for the money!

I wish I still had the pics of a Satin black truck I saw a while ago that made me a convert, I was a paint it flat black type a guy before then. (I lost the pics when my hard drive failed)

Note: In order to compare apples to apples we keep using the same RUST-OLEUM Rusty Metal light gray primer (although we like the brown one better, ha ha)

Initial Observations: the coverage is ok, but a can would not be enough to do front and back, granted I only sprayed two medium coats on one side in hind sight and under better lighting, I should have done at least three coats, I think this is on the account of this being Primer + Paint all in one can (I am not a fan of that since you get less paint)

~ UPDATE April 29, 2020 per Pep Boys manager who contacted KRYLON this paint has been DISCONTINUED !!! ~
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 04-29-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #48
Gregski
Post Whore

today we were combating finger fatigue using our Bondo Mar-Hyde cordless WiFi aerosol pistol grip trigger in a handsome black finish (also available in yellow and red, probably the amateur imitation knock offs, ha ha)

fear not this is not some cheap pot metal apparatus, this is some cheap plastic, held together by not one but two fake plastic screws LOL - but hey it works, and it will have you doing side to side sweeps with a big dumb grin on your face, hence the face mask
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #49
Gregski
Post Whore

ok, so here is a side by side comparison of the first Challenger aka the RUST-OLEUM Custom Shop Matte finish from Home Depot (left) vs the third Challenger aka the KRYLON Color Master Satin from Pep Boys (right)

#1 vs #3

they look similar in this photo but in person the one on the left has that strange greenish tint (scroll up in the thread for a better pic)
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 04-28-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #50
Gregski
Post Whore

and this is a biased comparison of #2 and #3

I say that because we altered / touched up #2 aka RUST-OLEUM Professional Semi-Gloss on the account of it being too shinny so it is not a fair comparison, (although I must say it does look good now, but I don't want to shoot semi gloss only to have to flatten it with Satin clear, I hope you guys follow that logic and concur)

KRYLON Color Master Satin is on the left and the flattened RUST-OLEUM Professional Semi-Gloss is on the right (sorry about that)
Attached Images