The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Gene

Classic Truck Insurance

Called my State Farm insurance guy today to check pricing on Full coverage insurance for my truck, and to my surprise they are way cheaper than the classic car insurance company I was using. I was using Condon and Skelly Classic car insurance and with them I was paying 180 yr. With State farm for the same agreed value I will only be paying 80 yr. I feel alot better now that I have insurance on the truck, I let it lapse when I tore it down a year ago because I knew I wouldnt be driving for awhile, anyways I guess what i'm trying to say is you can get good cheap insurance for your old truck!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Classic Truck Insurance

yes but! they will only pay the "going rate" for a vehicle in like condition. So if your truck is a 8 ( 1-10 scale) and those trucks go for around $5k, that is the best you can hope for. If you have $25K in it, you get $5K, that is it. period. I am talking with my agent (SF) and they say agreed value is only setting the max, not the actual offer if the total happens.

Detailed pictures and ALL receipts are a big plus, but the above stands to be true. Only the going rate of a like vehicle in like condition.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
todd99

I have been shopping around for insurance as well and have been getting nowhere. I would really like to get classic car insurance so I would actually get reimbursed if something happened. But all of the classic car insurance companies will only let you drive to car shows and I drive my truck regularly. Whats the point of paying for full coverage if they won't give you what your trucks worth? Heck, I would be willing to pay extra if I could get a fair value.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
wwotr

I use "JC Taylor" ins and also have Agreed Value of $16K on my 72 GMC.

If its :Stolen
Catches Fire
Wrecked
Totaled out....
I get $16K...Period.

Had to send them pictures of the Truck, The Body Work, Restoration Pictures.
I pay $260.00 a year.
$80.00 is a great Deal, but not knowing State Farm, that $80.00 a year doesn't sound like it will cover much.
I fired different Scenarios at my Agent before I bought my Insurance.
Once he answered/Explained them, I felt comfortable in dropping my Insurance with "Farmers" and going with "JC Taylor".
In fact it was my Farmers Agent that turned me on, to them and he is my "contracted Agent Of Record", so if I have a Claim I just call him up and he does the rest. All the rest of my Vehicles/House are still Insured with Farmers though.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Gene

All good points, I will double check to see if my truck gets stolen I will get the agreed value of 15K. With my other insurance that was the case, we agreed that the value was 10k then and thats what they guaranteed I would recover.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
todd99

WWOTR,

Does JC Taylor limit how much you can drive? Or where to?

I thought about getting it anyways, but I would hate to have claim denied because I was running errands in my truck.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
dougo

I use hagerty, I can drive 4000 (or 5000 - can't remember) a year. I drive it less than 4000/year. A bit more expensive, if I recall around $300 a year. With a replacement value of $25,000.00. Provided pics/documentation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd99 View Post
WWOTR,

Does JC Taylor limit how much you can drive? Or where to?

I thought about getting it anyways, but I would hate to have claim denied because I was running errands in my truck.
Todd99,
I believe (as in the other post), the mileage is limited to 4-5K a year, but if you were running an errand within that Mileage it wouldn't matter.
I know a lot of Companys limit your driving to Parades, Club Outing, Pleaseure Cruising, (well EVERY time I cruise in my Truck, it's a Pleasure)!
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 05-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Fldawg

I have grundy worldwide with an agreed value of $25,000 and they give me unlimited milege and all the bells and whistles for $194 a year
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
smorg007

I have grundy worldwide as well with an agreed value of $20,000 and they give me unlimited milege and all the bells and whistles but because I'm in Ca. it cost me $311 a year
smorg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Hagerty here, $200 a year.
$15000 value, unlimited mileage. They seemed to be more concerned that it was garaged than anything else.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #12
Steve Van Gent

Back to State Farm, I got my policy from them. I have had them since I started driving. I met with agent, he said once the truck met certian restoration criteria, and once the underwriter signed off on it, I was good to go. I wrote it for $15k, agent had me bring by, took photos, verified it was restored, I had my policy. It was about $100 per year, cheaper than all my other cars. Cash pay out, no milage limit. Great deal.
Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Van Gent View Post
Back to State Farm, I got my policy from them. I have had them since I started driving. I met with agent, he said once the truck met certian restoration criteria, and once the underwriter signed off on it, I was good to go. I wrote it for $15k, agent had me bring by, took photos, verified it was restored, I had my policy. It was about $100 per year, cheaper than all my other cars. Cash pay out, no milage limit. Great deal.
JC Taylor doesnt require any "Inspection" until the Agreed Value goes over $30K.
There is some great info here though.
If I was putting more Miles on my Truck, I like what Haggerty has to offer.
So far no matter WHAT company is mentioned in this Thread, it looks like I'm paying the highest premium.
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 05-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #14
bmfm64

I use Country Insurance on my 64 Impala and have a stated value of 15k. Agent came to my house, took a couple pics and said no problem, keep a list of any more improvement and receipts and they'll cover those as well if a total loss. This covers theft, accident, tree falls on it, garage burns down... anything. Also no mileage limit or anything of the such and the big thing for me was no waiver for altered suspension... a lot of companies have a no air bag or hydraulic policy that they don't bother to tell you about until you have a total loss and are trying to get paid for your suspension work. Hope this helps.
bmfm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #15
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Van Gent View Post
My agent actually came by the house to take a bunch of detailed pics. He asked if I had reciepts, and I showed them to him and he said make sure that they are in a fireproof safe just in case I ever need them. I asked several times about the agreed value and if I needed to increase it later on after I start driving the truck(i'm only carrying comprehensive right now as the truck is not on the road). And he said it is up to the underwriter to increase and it's usually not a problem unless you ask for a crazy amount of money.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

I have my 69 Insured through American Collectors.

$135 a year with a 17.5K agreed value. Its a toy car and I set it up for under 4K miles a year.

Where ever you buy insurance make sure the policy states agreed value.....I wouldn't trust anything else besides seeing it in print.

Last edited by Cole Trickle; 05-19-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #17
Lee H

I've had American Collectors for many years on my 2 vettes and my 72 C10. A word of caution about collectors or classic insurance and it applies to most of them, be sure to look at the fine print. You shall have a registered insured daily driver for every one 15 and over living in the residence. It needs to have a locked garage stall. If it gets stolen from a parking lot like a school, grocery store, Lowe's or home depot, movie theater, or from in front of your house it's not covered. This type of insurance is inexpensive for a reason, the chance for a loss is greatly reduced by limiting the miles and places it will be.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #18
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

Has anyone ever have to have their truck totalled through one of these specialty insurance brokers?

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #19
RRR18

<-------State Farm for my '67. Covered to 10K for $75 a year but can be more whenever I want. They said that if I wanted more than 20K they needed more pics and short walk around video if possible. I sent them pics from my phone to get insurance on it......they've never even seen the damn thing in person.

Follow on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rtimes3c10/

Ryan
RRR18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #20
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklajoie View Post
Hagerty here, $200 a year.
$15000 value, unlimited mileage. They seemed to be more concerned that it was garaged than anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
I've had American Collectors for many years on my 2 vettes and my 72 C10. A word of caution about collectors or classic insurance and it applies to most of them, be sure to look at the fine print. You shall have a registered insured daily driver for every one 15 and over living in the residence. It needs to have a locked garage stall. If it gets stolen from a parking lot like a school, grocery store, Lowe's or home depot, movie theater, or from in front of your house it's not covered. This type of insurance is inexpensive for a reason, the chance for a loss is greatly reduced by limiting the miles and places it will be.

I have, and will only have, Hagerty.
Full coverage, plus 10-mile free towing; $170/yr.

And yep, it's in a locked garage. And yep, I only drive it on sunny days and weekends for Shows. I'm also a Shriner, so I do Parades with our Car Club.
I drive mine Maybe, 2000 miles a year, Maybe.

Lee is right. If you have a place to keep it locked up and keep it stored, then you should consider a Hagerty or Grundy, but for you "Daily Drivers" I wouldn't consider Specialty insurance, you really need a regular insurance company, cause if, as Lee said, if it gets vandalized, stolen or generally F'd up, then you are, at least covered for something.
It can be a hard road when you have a "classic" vehicle and you have no choice but to get regular insurance.
Before I had Hagerty, I lived in a house with a double car port, but not enclosed. Hagerty wouldn't insure me due to their requirements. So, I had to get Geico. For that one year of Geico, they only gave me an agreed value of $4,500. I about threw up when I got that news.

Do yourself a favor, get as much coverage as you can afford. Sit down with a local rep and go through a plan to see what you can afford and what kind of coverage you can get. Search on here for threads from other guys and their tales of "Claim-hell".

If you have a garage or a solid place to store it out of harms way, do yourself a serious favor and get Specialty insurance, worth every penny.

And if you do get specialty insurance, Don't get your panties in a bunch if they say you can only drive so-many miles: "Oh no, I can only drive it 2000 miles a year, Blah, Blah, Blah". Most have a clause, but it's nearly impossible to enforce, so drive it as much as you want, BUT......

If you're gonna tag it as a "Antique" and then use it as your Daily transportation and you get in an accident, I have absolutely no sympathy for ya and neither will they.
Saw that happen to a guy around these parts some years ago who was using a 1974 C-30 stake body for his Lawn business and he had it tagged as an Antique and it got creamed, bent the frame, the whole nine. Insurance company found out he was using it as his business vehicle and not only refused his claim, but sued him for breach of contract........and Won.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #21
extd56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
I have classic insurance on some of my cars and I have parked them in front of my house and if they got stolen I know the insurance will cover it as they do not have an attendance rider on their policy. I also take my old cars to Hot August nights for the entire week and leave it out in the parking lot too and it is covered. They do want you to use the classic as a second car but they do want you to drive them and enjoy them.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:45 AM   #22
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

i dont need insurance its going to be trailer queen

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #23
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwillie 696969 View Post
i dont need insurance its going to be trailer queen
I really hope you're kidding.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #24
no moa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
I have my 69 Insured through American Collectors.

$135 a year with a 17.5K agreed value. Its a toy car and I set it up for under 4K miles a year.
I also have american collectors on the wrecker. $98 a year. 3k miles a year. Agreed value of $5k.

I have had JC taylor in the past, they were great to work with to.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #25
LEEVON

I've had Hagerty and now American Collector which is less expensive. Both require you are over 25, don't have any young drivers in the house, own an insured primary vehicle, garage it, have a clean driving record and aren't using the vehicle for business or transportation purposes. It's pretty restrictive but fortunately I meet those guidelines.

Here's where I get a little bothered with these "agreed value" policies. Along with restricting use to "pleasure" driving which is poorly defined the fine print also says no driving to work. Well last year the only time I was able to drive my truck was from my house to my office 6 miles away on a few sunny days. I called and the agents will tell you that "it's no big deal" but they don't refer to conversations when paying a claim...the fine print still says no driving to work so I consider that a liability.

Other than that I like my policy. FYI I switched from Hagerty to American Collector because they are more bare bones and cheaper. I was able to opt out of towing and some other fluff I don't need to save some money. Hagerty was good but the first year it was around $200, and within a couple years they wanted to charge over $400 for the same coverage...I didn't appreciate this practice so I shopped around.