The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
4mulaSvaliant

64 "Large Marge" LWB-SWB / Build thread.

Whats up guys and gals.

So I figured Id start a thread to document the changes I have made to the 64 C10 I picked up a while ago.

Ill condense the story here, but this is one of my all time favorite trucks and this on in particular means a fair amount to me.
The story starts when I was about 13 and my dad owned a 64 LWB step side 4x4 that is one of the vehicles I really learned how to wrench on. I also learned how to drive in that old beast.
We had swapped out all the original stuff for 1978 3/4 ton running gear and then unfortunately life threw him a curve ball and the truck sat (nearly complete) for many years. I always wanted it, even in its condition. When I graduated HS my dad signed the title over to me... I joined the Navy, and we left it on a friends property in Wa. state where the truck sits to this day as far as I know. That was roughly 18 years ago. I now reside in Va.

Needless to say the hours spent late into the night trying to get that truck in shape with my dad had a lot of sentimental value.

Fast forward to about a year ago. A very dear friend of mine (practically a father figure to me) happened across a 64 LWB Fleet side 2 wheel drive that he wanted to build for his daughter on a 76 4x4 frame. He is an older gentleman and his health made him prioritize a few things.

Knowing I wanted the truck he sold it to me for what he had in it at $2k.

Between my involvement with my dad and these trucks, then from my good friend Joker.... I had to have this truck and even Joker knows already... that I will not be getting rid of this thing any time soon! Joker calls it the Heirloom already. Haaha

A few pictures of what I bought.

I just had to have Joker sign the inside of the glovebox! This will always stay here!

Here is the truck as I bought it. He sold the Long Fleetside bed in the first week he owned it because he had a SWB Stepside bed for it.

The owner prior to him was at one point getting the truck back into shape for his sign shop, but it appears that it was on a fairly tight budget based on some corners that were cut. Not much prep went into the paint portion. there are multiple places it is bubbling, runs on the dash etc.. but over all it doesn't look too terrible.

The sign shop owner had a 350 put in the truck by a shop I am familiar with. It appears to be an 80's 350. Its nothing special, but it runs very strong.

This is what I bought, and Ill post again with the plans for truck, then on to the work I have done so far.
4mulaSvaliant is offline   Reply With Quote