The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #20
dmjlambert

Re: Feeling in over my head and not sure what to do next

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn! View Post
From the looks of the picture, someone did strip the threads out in the filter housing. Did someone jam a nut of some sort in there. I never seen this. The hose fitting is for an air hose like for a air compressor. The piece you are holding is not for any Quad. The nut that holds the filter in place is much larger. I wish I had one here to post. I will look for one. This setup is not safe for you to run. I see a fire.
A lot of the way it is set up comes from before 1985, before the truck was parked for a few years. The truck had this fitting that seems to be a workaround for stripped housing threads. Do you think the carb is totaled and must be replaced, and use of an adapter like this is unacceptable? What part of this setup is the hazard? Is it because there is any fuel hose and the fuel line should be metal all the way from the fuel tank to the carb? I wonder if the section between the frame-mounted metal tube and the fuel pump should be flexible because the engine vibrates and is on rubber mounts.

Here is the fuel journey: What I have is the fuel line is metal coming from the fuel sender on the fuel tank. It goes down through a hole in the cab floor and makes a 90 degree turn toward the passenger side and ends. Then a few inches of fuel hose connects it to a metal tube the runs up the frame to the engine compartment where it has a U-bend to point toward the fuel pump. Then there is a few inches of fuel hose to connect to the fuel pump. There is a metal tube coming out of the fuel pump that goes up towards the carb, and ends a few inches from the carb. I did not cut that off, it is the way it was from years gone by. Then the final piece of hose connects the fuel pump metal line to the barb on the "stripped thread" adapter. If I use that stripped thread adapter, I could probably use that inline filter at any place where I have a section of hose.

The adapter is a flare fitting adapter that appears to be made specifically to fit in the carb. It then has what appears to be standard threads and that air hose barb. I suppose I may be able to just put a short piece of pipe that is flared, with a flare nut, on that adapter. I could run that pipe all the way to the fuel pump, or put a gap in it so I can use the inline filter.

Here is a picture of the adapter separated into its two parts, attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie H. View Post
Where in the DFW area are you located?

What I can see from the pictures is a major fire hazard. You need to get the correct hard line from fuel pump to carburetor inlet,

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=53

and install a fuel filter in the carb inlet like it is supposed to have.

Most importantly, You need to find someone who actually knows how to correctly rebuild a Quadrajet.

Your other option is to replace it with a new carburetor like a Holley or Edlebrock 1406 with electric choke. If you go this route, You will also need an adapter to run a square bore carburetor on your Quadrjet spread bore manifold.
What is the fire hazard? Is it that I'm using any fuel hose at all, or is it where the hose is situated? Is the stripped thread adapter a bad fix and the carb must be scrapped?

I am in the middle of Plano near US-75 and Parker Rd.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote