The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

GM's new 2.7 turbo engine...

Over the weekend I visited a friend who had just got a new Silverado with the 4 banger. He wanted to check out my truck to compare because he was thinking of lowering his like I did mine with a 3/5 drop. Or just dropping his rear end, and going level that way.

We took a ride in it, and it was very nice on power. Especially with the 8 speed auto. He was going to get a 4.3 V6 like I got, but the deal was alot better on the 4 banger. Especially when you factor in the package he wanted.

So eventually they will have tunes for these, and stand alone harnesses. How do you think a tuned one will do in a C10 rcsb. To me it seems like it would be very nice runner. With a tune you should have 350 rough hp, and 400 lbft of torque. Quite possibly more, but I am being conservative. Combined with a 8 speed to always be in the right gear. The only downside would be lack of factory power steering pump if your not after big hp/tq. Plus it should get amazing mpg bouncing around town or on the highway.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
Tom
driving is in my blood

Re: GM's new 2.7 turbo engine...

Terrible idea. No way in hell I'd ever own a 4 cylinder turbo in a pickup truck. If you want to actually move you need boost, which means no fuel mileage. Try towing down the freeway, I bet the mileage will be worse then the V6 and as bad or worse then the V8.

And then if you're talking modded, I'll just throw a turbo on the v8 and destroy whatever numbers that 4 cylinder puts out.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Simply cost effective reasoning.

Like the 4.3 my Silverado has it should be relatively unloved after the original owner wrecked that truck. I have seen the LV3 4.3 go for less then $5000 with everything needed to start a effective swap. So it should prove to be about the same. I have towed 7500 pounds with it while averaging 12-16 mpg depending on hills, and got 21 towing a car trailer to Reno from LA. The 4 banger should do close to that as my 4.3 makes more part throttle hp/tq like cruising down the highway. The V8's if you leave the DOD do very well.

What kills most trucks mpg is the lift, and tires people put on them. I can usually get 26+mpg highway, and my friends truck gets 17mpg roughly. He has a level lift, and off road tires.

Where a tune, and every bolt on imaginable may get me 330hp. The 2.7 should easily do 350, and others have surmised the turbo maybe good for 400. Based on reported impeller specs. All while knocking down excellent mpg if that is something more important to you.

The new DI V8's I have seen cost just as much if not slightly more for just the engine then what I can get a V6 swap parts for. Plus let's say 350hp. That is a nice amount of power to go have fun with.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
geezer#99

Interesting motor!
Big power in a small package!
Kinda like the first Z28.
I’d use one.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...ado-turbo.html
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:41 PM   #5
truckster

Does it sound like a V8?
Old 03-31-2020, 08:15 AM   #6
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Does it sound like a V8?
Of course it does!
Sounds Just like the top dog in the cackle fest!
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #7
toolboxchev

I got a Folgers Coffee Can for it!

Seriously I read through the media, Impressive move for Chevrolet. Mary Barra knows trucks!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #8
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Terrible idea. No way in hell I'd ever own a 4 cylinder turbo in a pickup truck. If you want to actually move you need boost, which means no fuel mileage. Try towing down the freeway, I bet the mileage will be worse then the V6 and as bad or worse then the V8.

And then if you're talking modded, I'll just throw a turbo on the v8 and destroy whatever numbers that 4 cylinder puts out.
I'm with you, BUT, and it's a big BUT (LOL)
The modern turbo technology is nothing like what it was, even 10 years ago.
This may turn into an awesome engine, but I'd hate to be a purchaser in the first 1-2 years to find out.

Chevrolet made the modular in line engine, not that long ago. You could get a 4, 5, or 6 cylinder version, depending on the vehicle. Seemd like a great engine and idea. But it did not pan out the cylinder heads are real weak points. From what I read there's no real way to repair the head, just buy a NEW one...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:01 PM   #9
jayoldschool

I had one as a rental in November. It revs and goes up the gears like a sports car. It also got better mileage than the CTS wagon I had just wrecked. It would be good for all the people around here that use trucks as their commuter vehicles...
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote