The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
Smurfeh

Dyno/Tune Questions

Hey everyone!

I'm going to be driving my truck 5000kms to its new home here in a couple weeks and I have time booked with a tuner/dyno. I have never been to one of these places before are there something I should keep in mind when getting him to dial in the tune?

I have a 5.3 with DoD should i have that disabled? assuming that its possible without changing some serious components.

What are somethings that I should have altered? I'm somewhat satisfied with the mail order tune but the shift points are slightly off.

The Tuner suggested doing a highway tune which I agree with as this is going to be a highway machine and has no need to be on a dyno, but once again I know next to nothing about what goes on there.

If you have had a dyno tune and have something you would have done different I want to hear them!! Thank again guys!
Smurfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
whitels1

Re: Dyno/Tune Questions

You want it to be tuned in its current state. I feel it's good to do tuning on the streets to simulate your driving, however any hard pulls should be done on the dyno and with the a/f monitored. Other than you driving he should just ask you a few questions then do his thing.

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave
whitels1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Dyno/Tune Questions

Dyno tuning is hospital surgery while street tuning is field surgery...if that makes any sense. Tuning on a dyno allows manipulation of load, air etc to test and produce the highest peak hp and tq numbers. Its great at tuning WOT afr, WOT shifting, and general tuning in the higher rpm range. Since you in a safe, closed space, running at a "simulated" 75mph is easier and safer than on the open road.

Street tuning is more about getting the most driveable car. It changes how a car feels under the curve...how it feels at tip in, light throttle etc. The truth is, both street and dyno tunes are needed to produce the "best" car. Befor I could do any tuning on my own, my truck had a tune that was done on a dyno and thats it. We found out a while later that the tune (while making average numbers) was done very poorly. There were lots of areas that were super rich, and others crazy lean demanding 100% injector cycle. It worked, but it was the wrong way to do it.

Moral of the story; you can survive on a street tune only, but having both is best.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote