The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Metalaroundstone

Problems aligning power steering pump with crank

I have a 66 fleet with factory AC and a 327 (probably not original). I have been going crazy trying to get my power steering pump to line up with my crank pulley without the alternator belt rubbing against the pump body. All my other belts seem to line up okay. I have read all the info on this forum about this, but I am still stumped. Maybe I have the wrong crank pulley. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
ClemsonChevy
8 vehicles only 4 that run

Re: Problems aligning power steering pump with crank

Is your PS pulley a press on style? You may have enough room to pull the pulley forward some and still have plenty on the pump shaft.
72 Chevy C10 LWB fleetside
ClemsonChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonChevy View Post
Is your PS pulley a press on style? You may have enough room to pull the pulley forward some and still have plenty on the pump shaft.
The pulley has a woodruff key and the shaft had a nut the tightens the pulley on the shaft. I could probably make a washer with a notch for the key and get about 1/8 inch. That might help, but the nut would be slightly proud of the threaded shaft. Also, part of my problem is that the power pump is not parallel with the crank pulley. I'm not seeing any obvious way of changing the brackets. Thanks for the suggestion, it would certainly help.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
60-66

Theres also several different offset power steering pump pulleys. Whats the part number stamped in the PS pulley ? Also if you can the crank PS pulley part number, this can help tell you if its the right one.
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
luvbowties

Smile Re: Problems aligning power steering pump with crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalaroundstone View Post
I have a 66 fleet with factory AC and a 327 (probably not original). I have been going crazy trying to get my power steering pump to line up with my crank pulley without the alternator belt rubbing against the pump body. All my other belts seem to line up okay. I have read all the info on this forum about this, but I am still stumped. Maybe I have the wrong crank pulley. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hey, Metal, if you can get that pump pulley closer inline with the crank pulley, it should run okay. They do not have to be absolutely parallel to function; I've seen tens of ps setups over the years[including mostly 67-72]where the ps belt looked like it might jump off the two pulleys at any moment, yet continue running for years, just as they already had for years. Some owners had bought them new and so we were sure they came from the factory that way. I always commented about how sloppy they looked, yet like Timex, they delivered...and surprisingly did not prematurely wear the belts. Luck to you.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
luvbowties

Another thought: there is made a crankshaft pulley-set where the outer pulley(for the ps)fits so closely up-inside the middle pulley(for ac?)that there is almost NO space between them: maybe the thickness of a quarter at most. These 2 pulleys I speak of are made more like 2 "hugging" sheet metal pulleys rather than made of the separated, heavier cast steel(iron?) pulleys you have. Some of these pairs are spot-welded together/inseparable, while other sets will separate with a bit of effort--never seen a need to do this, though.

Look for that set & maybe it will solve your problems. Should I find a pic of a such a set, I will return and attach it.
Sam
Old 11-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
luvbowties

Here's a pic of a similar crankshaft pulley-set I described earlier. The 2 outer pulleys appear inseparable--NO space between them. It appears to move outer pulley toward engine approx. 1/4 inch to 11/32 inch--about what it looks like you need. Maybe if you could find one similar...
Sam
*pic orig. from unknown source--should you recognize it, I'll gladly credit him.
Attached Images

Last edited by luvbowties; 11-05-2013 at 11:40 PM. Reason: added credit
Old 11-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

To me both your crank pulleys and water pump pulleys don't look right. Although your alternator belt appears to line up good. Is the water pump pulley 2 pcs? If you can, take the crank and water pump pulleys off, lay them out on the floor and take a couple pics of what you have and their order of assembly.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-66 View Post
Theres also several different offset power steering pump pulleys. Whats the part number stamped in the PS pulley ? Also if you can the crank PS pulley part number, this can help tell you if its the right one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
To me both your crank pulleys and water pump pulleys don't look right. Although your alternator belt appears to line up good. Is the water pump pulley 2 pcs? If you can, take the crank and water pump pulleys off, lay them out on the floor and take a couple pics of what you have and their order of assembly.
The number on my power steering pulley is 3825537 DC. As for the crank pulleys, I can only see the number on the outer pulley set that drives the power steering and the AC condenser. Its number is 3876326 BT.
I can't really see any number on the inter crank pulley, which seems to be a steel pulley sandwiched in between the harmonic balancer and the outer pulley set. Does this pulley have to be removed to get the number?

Thanks all for your help on this. This is driving me crazy. BTW, the PO added the power steering (factory type) and it was pieced together in the cheapest way possible. I have rebuilt everything and thanks to extra parts from "65 Chevy Lover" I was able to make it all work properly, except for the alignment.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Hey, Metal, if you can get that pump pulley closer inline with the crank pulley, it should run okay. They do not have to be absolutely parallel to function; I've seen tens of ps setups over the years[including mostly 67-72]where the ps belt looked like it might jump off the two pulleys at any moment, yet continue running for years, just as they already had for years. Some owners had bought them new and so we were sure they came from the factory that way. I always commented about how sloppy they looked, yet like Timex, they delivered...and surprisingly did not prematurely wear the belts. Luck to you.
Sam
This makes me feel a little better as I drive the truck with its present alignment. However, I can't imagine it coming from the factory as far off as mine is. I would feel better if I could get it more in line. I appreciate your comment as well as all the others I have received so far.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
My water pump pulleys are comprised of two steel pulleys sandwiched together. The other pulley lines up perfectly with the AC compressor pulley. The inside pulley is about 1/8 forward of the inside crank pulley. Maybe I need to press the water pump shaft into the pump a 1/8 inch further and add a spacer between the two for perfect alignment on both pulleys (just a thought). Unfortunately (or fortunately) I can't take my truck apart right now because I am using it regularly right now. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
MisterC

Captain is correct. You have the earlier cast crank pulley and a later model power steering setup. I've just recently gone through this and it took me weeks and a lucky find at my local pick and pull to get the power steering pulley that I need.

The pulley's for the early 70 power steering pulleys have 3 different offsets. You appear to have the one that I originally had. I don't recall coming across one that would move the belt out more; only in more. I believe you'll need to change your crank pulley to make it all align better.
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
60-66

Big question, are you trying to be original or just make it work with proper alignment ?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
60-66

some options for the crank pulley, I think you have the one on the top left.

There three different heights of power steering crank pulleys here, one on far right is the shortest

then with the shortest

then just the Power steering drivers

Old 11-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Big question, are you trying to be original or just make it work with proper alignment ?
I'm trying my very best to make it original.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
some options for the crank pulley, I think you have the one on the top left.

There three different heights of power steering crank pulleys here, one on far right is the shortest

then with the shortest

then just the Power steering drivers

Wow. Great pictures. Thanks.
Yes, I think I have the tallest crank pulley (top left in the first picture) I hope this is an original style crank pulley. Where I am off compared to your photos is the power steering driver pulley. Mine is essentially flat like the picture here. However, the way it is, it is only about 1/4-3/8 back from the crank pulley outer most crank pulley. It looks like the PS pulleys you are showing would move the belt 1-2" (I am assuming rearward). I am sure I am missing something here, but not sure what. I attached a better picture of my pulleys and belts on the truck. My power steering is driven by the furthest outside pulley on the crank. Is that correct?
I appreciate your help.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
60-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalaroundstone View Post
I'm trying my very best to make it original.
OK, going original . You need power steering pump pulley part number 3791943
heres one on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-70-Origin...#ht_750wt_1363

Their description states 6 cylinder for cars but its the only part number I come up with for our trucks other than a 292 six cylinder PS pulley. Im using several 66-72 Chevy GM parts books. Im guessing it has the right offset to move it out for the cast truck lower pulley. If someone has other part numbers please advise.

You have an AC truck also, Ive seen that style of water pump pulley on 327 AC trucks before, theres also a cast iron 3 groove water pump pulley for AC trucks.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #18
60-66

Heres the pulley listing from the 1970 Chevrolet parts book.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Heres the pulley listing from the 1970 Chevrolet parts book.
I think you solved my issue, at least it looks like it from the picture of the pulley on eBay. Where my PS pulley is flat, the one you have identified curves slightly outward, which looks like it would give me the depth I need to align with the crank pulley. I hope it is as simple as that. Thanks 60-66! I really appreciate your help

Does anybody else have an opinion about this issue before go out an buy another pulley?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
60-66

Well... I hope so. Im still looking up info through books and other avenues on this. I like it when these questions come up as it presents a challenge to learn. Especially on the "original" aspect of these trucks. My other post with all the pulleys would have satisfied most but since Im doing similar restorations on two 327 trucks , finding whats correct is a challenge. Keep us posted if you get a pulley. Im going to look and see if I have one around here somewhere. PS, the 292 pulley is a smaller dia cast pulley that sticks way out from the pump.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #21
HOTFUN

Jon , On my '66 327 with ps truck and with the 1966 dealer installed factory air kit it had that 3791943 stamped pulley on the ps pump and uses the cast iron 2 belt crank pulley. I had a nos correct style 66 power steering pump so I found and used a nos 3791943 pulley on the nos pump and the alignment is dead on everywhere. I also believe at least in 66 to 67ish on the factory installed 327 ac trucks they used the 2nd style 3 belt heavy cast iron water pump pulley with a fan clutch. The GM accessory factory air kit appears to have provided an added single 2nd belt pulley and spacer in front of the water pump single pulley for the ac belt and of course a 5 blade fan. The fan clutch appears to have been another option from the GM parts and ordering books. With my years of experience changing out leaking WP's from bearing failures, I believe GM shortly realized this and quit using that unbelievably heavy mass hanging on that bearing due to failures and went back to using stamped steel pullies. So on mine I utilized the factory air GM kit steel pulley set up and and added a new fan clutch and cross my fingers that this holds up on a restored painted engine. My truck frame comes back from the exhaust shop this week so it's time to post some engine/chassis pictures to show what I came up with. Mark
'72 Cheyenne Super K20 project
'73 Sierra swb 4x4 frame off in paint stage
'74 Cheyenne Super swb w/16k actual
'71 & 72 Cheyenne K10 4x4 swb's
'70 426 HEMICUDA conv SHAKER 4 sp Dana 60
'60 Impala conv 327 PG fac ac loaded 3rd owner
'72 GMC K2500 4x4
'59 Apache CST BBW fleetside swb 283
'73 ElCamino SS LS1 T56 true SS bucket tach
'76 ElCamino SS 52k survivor
'87 Grand National 41k True 2nd to last built in 1987.
'86 K30 454 SRW fleetside CA since new
'88 Trans Am GTA 39k bought new
2018 DEMON plum crazy @ 840HP! "Need for speed"
HOTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
60-66

Perfect, exactly what we needed Mark. The parts book and even my NOS truck power steering kit do not show the part numbers for the PS Pulley. Again thanks for your help in confirming this.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
61K10

here is my set-up short pump. this was pretty common set-up. single gv fits in the 2 gv for 3rd gv for p/s

single groove #3751232BB GM

2 groove #3744043BA
Attached Images

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #24
Metalaroundstone

Update on steering pump alignment. I ordered pulley 3791943 and I received it an put it on. It solved my alignment problem, but the pulley as wobbly and did not run true. So I talked to the guy that sold it to me and he asked more about its application. Although he is a Camaro guy, he said that a v8 usually gets a pulley number 3770509. He said he did not know the difference between the two off hand. Does anyone here know what the difference might be?
Old 11-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #25
60-66

Well, cars used the stamped steel pulleys we posted above which are a different offset. Reason you use this PS pulley is for the odd offset of the AC system and or the cast iron crank pulleys offset for trucks only. If you spin the PS pulley you can gently tap on it with a rubber mallet and get it straighter . Ive done that before. Heres a couple pictures of the car pulleys I used in my 66 GMC Suburban project. I used the later 67-72 era PS pump and brackets as I wasn't going 100% stock. You can see how close together the crank pulleys are. The center crank groove is for the AIR but Im using car type AC brackets on this one.