The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #1
b-mac

Steering Shaft Alignment Help

Alright geniuses and gentlemen of this forum, I need your advice. It appears that when welding in my motor mounts, I failed to push my engine far enough to the passenger side. Like an idiot, I did not have my steering box bolted up before I fitted the engine. Now it appears that my power steering pump pulley is going to be too close to the steering shaft (see pictures below.) So, short of cutting out my motor mounts, or switching to the car style accessories (expensive) does anyone else here have any brilliant ideas?
Is it possible to replace the power steering pulley with a smaller pulley, or will that cause more problems?
You'll notice I did some engineering on the power steering pump in the first place. This 5.3 came out of Buick Rainer, and the P/S reservoir was in the way of the a-arm. I thought this fitting would work for the low pressure side, and I would just use a remote reservoir. I don't believe the truck style pump will work because it won't mount to the same SUV accessory bracket.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: Steering Shaft Alignment Help

First what frame is that ? It looks like an S10
Second how much space is available to raise the engine straight up in the frame.

If it were mine I'd raise the motor to clear just enough to clear steering box splined shaft against the power steering pump on, along with exhaust manifolds on it should be more than a one to two inches.

I would then make a card board template of motor mount bolt pattern with two bolt patterns spaced just enough to clear each pattern and transfer this pattern to 1/4 or a little thicker steel plate. You can counter sink the wholes, ones facing inboard to old mounts and fasten with counter sunk allen head screws. Bolt the ones against the block as you normally do.

Then bolt the plate to old motor mounts raised up and forward enough to clear the steering shaft. Similar to what they do for LS to early V8 side mounted chevy motors.

Hope I am making sense
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #3
b-mac

Re: Steering Shaft Alignment Help

I think I know what you mean. Yes, it's a 49 Chevy on an S10 frame. Forgot to mention that. I used universal motor mounts because of the distance I had to move the engine rearward. I can't go much higher with the engine because my drive shafts is close to the floor already (I'm at about 3.5 degrees of angle on the engine.)
I'm hoping someone has an idea for a different or modified power steering pump.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote