The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
SkyAngel

Red face Restoring 67 Chevy Truck for cancer awareness. Need help deciding on Engine/Tran

Hi all,

I've purchased a 67 Chevy Truck, short/fleet. I'm planning to restore it in honor of my sister I recently lost. I plan to volunteer to start out and potentially start my own non profit to help people out locally. All that I would potentially get or raise will go right back to whoever is in need. I'm so tired of all these organizations spending the funds on huge payrolls.

I plan to drive this truck often so I certainly want to keep fuel efficiency in mind (this is my main concern). Some recommend finding an old engine and rebuilding but unfortunately I'm just not that talented. Some say go carburetor and some say fuel injection. I'd love to ideally buy a turnkey and trans combo but will take any and ALL suggestions to heart. I'm not rich and I know the sky is the limit on what these things can cost. I want to do this right and smart. Thank you SO much!

Juliette
SkyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:31 AM   #2
oldschool 64

Re: Restoring 67 Chevy Truck for cancer awareness. Need help deciding on Engine/Tran

Sky Angel
I have a 1967 C10 Stepside LWB
85% - 90% SOLID
For sale if you know anyone!
ONE OWNER
292 INLINE 6 ORIGINAL
32,634 ORIGINAL MILES
4 SPD TRANS ORIGINAL
THE TIRES ON THE TRUCK ARE THE ORIGINAL TIRES!
THE SPARE IS ORIGINAL NEVER BEEN OFF TRUCK

THE ONLY THINGS THIS TRUCK NEEDS IS A
*WINDSHIELD
*MASTER CYLINDER

THAT IS ALL ITS NEEDING EVERYTHING IS ON TBE TRUCK AND IN GREAT WORKING CONDITION!

I WILL SELL THIS TRUCK FOR

$4000 CASH!

JOE LORD
812-319-1119
SOUTHERN INDIANA
oldschool 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
TexasLS1

Re: Restoring 67 Chevy Truck for cancer awareness. Need help deciding on Engine/Tran

Can't believe no one jumped on this thread until now! Welcome to the site, there is a wealth of knowledge and great people to help out. A lot of guys here are transplanting LS-based motors/trans from newer vehicles, i.e. trucks, Tahoes, Suburbans, since they are so plentiful/reliable/fuel efficient. Since you are on a budget, you may want to get help rebuilding the motor you currently have, just to get up and running? Just throwing out ideas...

Hopefully some of the seasoned pros on the site will chime in, some of these guys have made the swap to an LS motor so many times they can do it with their eyes closed.

Do you have any pics? I'd like to see what you're starting with and see it progress. Keep us updated and stick with it, I love to see this type of build with a deeper purpose than just your average Joe trying to flip a truck for cash!
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
Rod Run

Great gesture by you!

I've been running the Northeast Rod Run for 9 years now and for the first time, this coming October we are also going to use our annual cruise to help raise money for cancer.

It's great to see that more people are getting involved with this type of stuff
Old 12-20-2015, 11:40 PM   #5
Clavo106

thats sweet!! well there is plenty of knowledge on the forum.... IMO.. I know buget is a concern like most. but keep in mind of the goal here..... if I was to build as my daily driver I would go LS (fuel injected) because i can do it , have tools and of the efficiency its going to bring you driving it day in and out... but if I took this in to a shop and had them do it $$$$$.. IMO. BUILD what u have it will keep the cost way down to a minimum and even min is a lot... if it runs and drives has good metal all around. that a big plus it keep costs way down...... once its restore then i would say go LS... but just have fun in the meen time with a simple stock build... u can even paint it pink I saw one on here with so 22" .rear roll pan.. looked sweet...
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
SkyAngel

I can't believe I missed these messages! Thanks so much. I unfortunately don't have any engine/trans otherwise I rebuild would've been awesome! I hope to paint it teal for Ovarian Cancer as well. Thanks again!!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
SkyAngel

That's amazing! When I'm a little further along I would LOVE to learn and gain some knowledge from others who are already making progress. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:45 PM   #8
cruisinthe34

Welcome to the forum, and to a group of folks doing all we can to make it better. I lost my wife 7 years ago to Cancer and it was actually her idea to build our '41 F#rd pickup and drive it and display it with the exact intentions you describe. Here are a couple shots of the F#rd:

Based on having done this for a long time, my suggestions may not match up with some others here, but I would look at building it with an inline 6 like the 250 many of the trucks were born with. I would also run it carburated instead of fuel injected again for simplicity and cost.

Good luck with your build, and very sorry for your loss.
1934 Chevrolet Master Sedan 350 700R4 "Iris"
1941 Ford 1/2 Ton 5.0 H.O Roller C-4 "Rose"
2019 Honda Ridgeline
cruisinthe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #9
SkyAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinthe34 View Post
Welcome to the forum, and to a group of folks doing all we can to make it better. I lost my wife 7 years ago to Cancer and it was actually her idea to build our '41 F#rd pickup and drive it and display it with the exact intentions you describe. Here are a couple shots of the F#rd:

Based on having done this for a long time, my suggestions may not match up with some others here, but I would look at building it with an inline 6 like the 250 many of the trucks were born with. I would also run it carburated instead of fuel injected again for simplicity and cost.

Good luck with your build, and very sorry for your loss.

Thank you Steve that means the world to me and your truck is beautiful. I'm so sorry for your loss as well. I can't put into words what it's like to lose your favorite person in the world. Some don't understand why I want to do this especially with my own money but really if it saves even ONE life that one life could have been my sister.

There is not enough information or good care out there and not only that but support. What a rollercoaster it is.

I'm actually really leaning towards keeping it fairly stock and likely a 350 and 700 trans, carb. I want to be able to handle all of the maintenance or repairs on my own and that would be most ideal! Thanks again it's nice hearing I'm not crazy. Blessings your way Steve!