The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2017, 03:29 AM   #1
ChevyGuyC20

Angry Help no Power to my 78 C20

Hey guys...new here. I am having an issue with my 1978 C20. So last week I used it to jump off my 68 Impala. After jumping the Impala I parked the truck and went inside. When I came out to go to work am hour later the truck would not start. Not only would it not start but it wouldn't do anything at all. I am getting nothing to the starter. No click, whir, nothing. I do have power to my headlights, dome lights, etc...I have been able to clutch start it by rolling it down my hill and popping the clutch. Pulled the battery and checked it on the charger and it is at 100 percent. The brake light on the instrument panel comes on when I turn the key to the on position and then brightens when I attempt to crank the truck, which makes me belive the ignition switch is live and engaging. I am down to what I believe are two culprits, either main fuse link or the starter. Does anyone have any idea of what the issue may be? maybe someone here has dealt with this same issue before? If it is the main fuse link, where would I find it, as I have yet to be able to locate it. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
ChevyGuyC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Help no Power to my 78 C20

It's likely the neutral safety switch. Usually found on the steering column close to the firewall.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
ChevyGuyC20

It is a manual transmission...three speed on the floor. But I am able to start it by popping the clutch in gearly
ChevyGuyC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
geezer#99

THen it's likely the neutral safety switch.
Or try jumping the starter terminals. Turn on the ignition switch to run, put it in neutral, use a big screwdriver to connect the big lug on the solenoid to the little lug. Might be sparky.
If it starts you'll know it's the neutral switch. If it doesn't start it's the starter solenoid.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
cadillac_al

I'm thinking it has something to do with boosting the Impala. I'm not sure what though. A fuse or fusible link may have popped. I guess I would start tracing that purple starter wire back to see where it could lose connection.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote