The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2021, 07:05 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Engine lift brackets for SBC

Hi, I am interested in getting original-like engine lift brackets for small block to use instead of using bolts in the heads holding chain and instead of a carburetor lift plate adapter. I have found pictures that show how the driver side front bracket is attached to the intake, but I have not been able to find a picture of the rear passenger side bracket where it is attached to the engine. Supposedly it is attached to a bell housing bolt, but that seems like it would be inconvenient for lifting the engine without the transmission, because I would have to disconnect the transmission and put the bracket back on. I saw a picture of a big block with the bracket attached on an accessory bolt on the head, so that made me wonder about small block possible attachment points. I suppose using another front bracket at the rear passenger side position would interfere with the vacuum can of the distributor, it looks that way. Looking for insight and possibly a picture or two. Thanks.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Engine lift brackets for SBC

Those were made for rapid installation. The guys could quickly remove the sling once the engine and transmission assembly was set in. It's especially important when you only have a minute or less to get it done. Of course, having to set it in a bare frame makes it easier. Not to put too fine a point on it, but how many times are you going to remove and replace your engine? Or are you just wanting to make it look like factory?

Just a note- I think that one of the most amazing things I've ever witnessed in vehicle work was watching guys putting a front bumper on in less than a minute. Without scratching the paint.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:14 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it, but how many times are you going to remove and replace your engine? Or are you just wanting to make it look like factory?
Heck I dunno. It just seems like a good idea, and I do have an engine pull coming up in the future. Maybe I'll try to pull it or install it in one minute. :-) I am cursed with having to do everything on my truck 2 or 3 times, so I suppose pulling the engine just one more time is not going to cut it.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:19 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Heck I dunno. It just seems like a good idea, and I do have an engine pull coming up in the future. Maybe I'll try to pull it or install it in one minute. :-) I am cursed with having to do everything on my truck 2 or 3 times, so I suppose pulling the engine just one more time is not going to cut it.
I'm just yanking your chain. TBH, the best I've ever done was 45 minutes to remove the engine from my '64 Impala. But it had no accessories (No AC, power steering or power brakes), and a stick shift, so I just decoupled the bell housing from the engine while supporting the trans. It took a bit longer to put it back together. I was 40+ years younger and worked as a mechanic, back then.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:53 PM   #5
toms68cst

I wish I hadn't used my factory original lifts when I pulled my 327 many years ago. They got a bit deformed.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:36 AM   #6
BigBird05

Make your own universal set. Take a flat piece of 1/4" flat stock, round off the edges into a very large tear drop, drill a 7/16" hole in the bottom and the top of the flat stock and bolt them onto the cylinder heads. Just make them long enough so the chain clears the carb.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:43 AM   #7
sick472

I just dropped a 350 into my 85 and used two of the two-bolt-hole lifting brackets (a third hole for the chain hook). One on the dr-side front and the other on the pass-side back.
They bolted on by using the intake bolts. They worked really well and the transmission was attached to the motor going in too so it had the extra weight of that. I did have a load-leveler which made that possible. I removed the rear one once the motor was in so that the dizzy hold-down would be easier to get to.

Here is a picture of the smaller one-bolt-hole lifting bracket that I am familiar with. This is not my photo, but this is what my 72 had on it when I bought it years ago and you can see why I used two of the two-bolt-hole brackets. This one will do some bending if you get rough with it...
Attached Images

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote