The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2022, 10:25 AM   #1
72malibu

Upper Control Arms

What are you guys doing to replace or rebuild the upper control arms?

It looks like the lowers are not sold new, so they must be rebuilt.

How good are the loaded stock replacement uppers? By AC Delco? Moog? Other?
72malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:43 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Upper Control Arms

What's so hard about rebuilding the uppers you have?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:35 AM   #3
Just call me Sean

I put a replacement Duralast upper on my 93, it looks almost identical to the old one. I couldn't rebuild the old one because it was damaged. I rebuilt one on my S10, also with Duralast parts.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:10 AM   #4
72malibu

I've never rebuilt them myself, but I'm not afraid to try.

Is there a tool that helps?

On my pro-touring Malibu I have tubular control arms with a .5" taller upper ball joint. Does anybody run taller upper ball joints on these trucks to improve the factory geometry?

Are offset cross shafts helpful?
Old 10-05-2022, 09:26 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72malibu View Post
I've never rebuilt them myself, but I'm not afraid to try.
Quote:
Is there a tool that helps?
The bushings press in/out. Install/removal depends on what shape things are in & the type of new bushings used.

Quote:
On my pro-touring Malibu I have tubular control arms with a .5" taller upper ball joint. Does anybody run taller upper ball joints on these trucks to improve the factory geometry?
They make tubular arms for trucks for the same reasons they do for cars. Trucks already have a tall spindle vs many cars like your Malibu. That being said, tall BJ's could be used by those really trying to dial things in more than what already works.

Quote:
Are offset cross shafts helpful?
Offset shafts work different for trucks vs cars because of how the upper arms attach to the frame. They can be useful if the alignment is being set-up by someone knowledgeable on sport/aggressive alignment settings. The caveat is that you could possibly achieve target set-points w/o the offset shaft.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:00 AM   #6
72malibu

Useful info SCOTI, thanks.

Interesting to learn the truck geometry is different from the A-bodies.

I watched a video by Brothers showing removal/install of bushings. Looks like the key is cutting up some exhaust tubing to use as shims to prevent the arms from getting distorted when pressing bushings in and out.

Planning to install new rubber. I have delrin in the Malibu but the truck will be a stocker.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72malibu View Post
Useful info SCOTI, thanks.

Interesting to learn the truck geometry is different from the A-bodies.

I watched a video by Brothers showing removal/install of bushings. Looks like the key is cutting up some exhaust tubing to use as shims to prevent the arms from getting distorted when pressing bushings in and out.

Planning to install new rubber. I have delrin in the Malibu but the truck will be a stocker.
Correct. I use pieces of 1" angle cut to length to keep them from compressing when pressing in the new bushings/shells.

The A/G body Malibus have the upper a-arm mount/locating bracket on the top of the rail. C10's have them on the side of the rail.

Achieving NEG Camber on A-bodies requires adding shims which pushes the A-arm closer to the engine/exhaust.
Achieving NEG Camber on a C10 requires removing shims which brings the A-arm closer to the frame rail.

A/G bodies had a ~7.5" stock spindle height.
C10's had a ~9" stock spindle height.
For era comparison.... Stock F & B body 'tall' spindles were ~ 9". C4 Vettes were ~10+ (11"?).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-07-2022, 01:09 AM   #8
Factory Guy

I did my control arms on my Chevelle, if I had to do it again I would PASS, they were kind of a pain to do, even though I had a press at that time.

I am sure the truck ones would be harder to do.
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:53 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factory Guy View Post
I did my control arms on my Chevelle, if I had to do it again I would PASS, they were kind of a pain to do, even though I had a press at that time.

I am sure the truck ones would be harder to do.
They can be a PITA but they're do-able by the novice especially given what some shops charge. The truck ones are just slightly bigger vs the car so they're heavier & the way the cross-shafts install is slightly different comparing the two. Cross-shafts are also different depending on the year of the arms on trucks (before 73; 73-87/89; 88-up; etc...).

Local places near me wanted $100/arm for labor on a-arms i carried in. I bought an air hammer/chisel & started doing them myself @ night on a cheap hydraulic press we had @ my work.

Given the quantity of 'how-to' videos on the internet these days, the tricks & watchouts are usually better understood vs. pre 'www'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-08-2022, 10:32 AM   #10
v30crewcab

classic industries carries the lowers
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 11:15 AM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the easiest way to do any control arm bushings is to heat the thing up with a torch and beat out the bushings. Meanwhile i tend to throw the new bushings in my freezer overnight so after i pop out the old bushing i can more easily drive the new one in with a BFH

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote