The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
NotNuRodz

First Old Truck--64 Beater

I decided to make my original thread into a build thread because thats what it was kind of turning into and I felt like it belonged in this section more. So I'm copying all my original post into here so everything is easy to follow.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I picked this truck up at an auction down in Jane Missouri last weekend. It's nothing fancy or desirable really just a long bed, small back window 64. I went to get a 59 el camino for my dad but it was a mess and this truck was one of the most solid old trucks I had ever seen.

It has the typical rust in the lower front fenders, but the rest is amazing. The truck looks like it's been repainted once before, I tried to polish it up a little and it's got a nice patina shine now. If it was all original paint I would probably leave it but because I work in a body shop in the summer I'll probably paint this thing.

I got the truck home last saturday night and luckily my dad owns a car lot so he had his mechanics put on all new brakes and clean out the fuel system and now this things runs and drives surprisingly nice.

Here is a short plan of action for this truck:
1.new bed wood
2.lower it
3.swap in running 307 I have laying around
4. fix rust and repaint

Heres the truck on it's way home

And some pics after I cleaned it up

Some fancy Patina

The interior is real simple. It got a seat cover on the seat that looks like it was once recovered in black vinyl. I'm no expert but I don't think you could get one of these with a black seat.

Also someone hacked the dash up for a radio, so I think i will fill that space with some gauges so I don't have to do any welding inside the cab.

Here are the pictures of what I picked up today, needless to say I love swap meets!

First I picked up 5 used 235-70-15 tires that should fill out the wheel wells nicely

I wanted some tri-five dog dish caps for the wheels and started to piece together a set

but then I found these and couldn't resist, they are a little rough but I can clean them up.

and finally the thing I'm most excited about, I can't believe I got these for $25

to bad they don't fit my model a :wash:

Had some guys on another forum photoshop some pics for me, and I decided I love this color combo so tomorrow I'm blasting my wheels and painting them orange.

Got enough work done on this thing that I think it's worth an update. Although most of the pictures are really bad because I can only work in the smallest bay at my dad's car lot thats usually used for storage, but at least I have a lift.

First I painted the logo on my tailgate (it looks good from 5 feet away), and took off that heavy bumper.

And I got my wheels painted and mounted on the new tires.

Now I'm trying to decide which caps to use

And I also started ripping out the wood for the water bed instillation (just kidding)

I'll get some better pictures as soon as it's on the ground, I just wish I had an awesome garage like my friends to work in all the time.

NotNuRodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
NotNuRodz

Re: First Old Truck--64 Beater

Alright hopefully all of that isn't to hard to follow but from now on all post will be new updates.

This weekend I took the truck to it's first cruise night and everything went great. The truck drives surprisingly nice, but I found a few things that still need to be worked out. The inline 6 sounds like it doesn't have much life left in it, it's got a really bad tick not quite a knock but it will due fine until it really gives out, and i've got a small block ready for when that day come but until them I'm just going to work on cleaning it up even more.

Also got some better pictures of how the truck is looking now.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Welcome- Looks like a great start. I like the looks of those hubcaps- good choice.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
McMurphy

Looks like a nice rig to start with, good luck with it!

And to the board! I already grabbed an idea from you, so keep them coming please !!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
beefshreadder116

lol. ive got 5 of the 55 chevy hub caps. too bad its not really worth the price of shipping
Old 09-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
NotNuRodz

The build progress of this has really slowed down since i'm back at college but there has been a little progress.

I got the bed taken off to make working on it a little easier.

I painted the inside of my bed with some spray on bed liner, I'm not sure how long it will hold up but it looks good for now.

I got the wood all mounted up and fitted nicely.

and my dad sent me these pictures today because he had some free time and felt like staining the wood.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
NotNuRodz

Also my dad was so shocked on how easy it was to work on these old trucks that he went out and bought his own at an auction. His truck and my truck are exact opposites it seems like. Mine has a really nice body but only a decent interior, and a decent sounding motor. His truck has a really crappy body but the interior is amazing compared to mine and the motor sounds like new!

I don't know what his plan is yet but he says he doesn't mind how beat up it is he just wants to drive it around haha.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
dr69burb

Cool truck you have. And it looks like your dad scored a good truck too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNuRodz View Post
Also my dad was so shocked on how easy it was to work on these old trucks.
That is EXACTLY what happened to me on my build!!
It went from getting a motor and tranny and getting on the road, to an almost 100% frame off resto-mod !!
My wife already wants me to save and restore these trucks as a hobby-job when I retire because it has been so easy and fun !!

Good luck with this again and keep us posted !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
NotNuRodz

Got an email from my dad today with pictures of the wood installed in the bed. I can't wait to be home for thanksgiving break/ winter break so I can work on my truck again!

Also my dad picked up a little something to pull behind his truck.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
Ta2Don

Welcome aboard... Nice Score and your Dad did great also, really like the camper!
Posted via Mobile Device
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
Bomp

Welcome.
watchin.