The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
64shortbed

Brake boosters

Let see some pics of your power brake booster setups. Let us,know what they came off of and how you had to mount them. Year, make, and model would be great. So others can know were to find and what works.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
64shortbox

Re: Brake boosters

I used the Power Brake Booster Bracket from captianfab, the Booster came off a mid 80's full size Chevy truck BUT it has metric studs - I should have grabbed one off a 73 or earlier GM product. The Master Cylinder is for a 67 Cadillac (I'm currently running all drum brakes but disc brakes are in my future) The Booster Check Valve and Molded Vacuum Hose is from a late 70's Dodge truck. The Chevy truck Booster had a long rod with an eye on the end of it. I cut off the eye and ran a 3/8-24 tap down the rod on the Booster. I then made an extension using a 3/8-24 Coupling Nut and a heim end. Speedway has a kit for about the same price I paid to piece mine together - about $10.00 including the heim end.
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
64shortbed

Wow thanks for the great pics and the reply i guess i didnt see any one replyed to this tread. looks good!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
64shortbox

Hope the pics & info helped some. Oh, I like your screen name too!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

A bump for member Bigru.........
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Bigru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
A bump for member Bigru.........
Thanks Captainfab!
Posted via Mobile Device
Bigru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:08 AM   #7
MASTERBrian

I guess I need to get this bracket ordered for 1960 suburban, t350 tranny. Just to clarify the boosters will work with my auto transmission column shift, correct?
Sorry for the confusion, I've had people send me all over in my quest to figure out this conversion.

I'll pm you with my email.

One last thing to clarify, I believe you posted somewhere is best to match the booster/master with the year the brakes are off of. My understanding is most kits use 72 and up calipers, etc, but it didn't look like you said 72 would fit. I'll go back and reread that must tomorrow when I'm fresh, it's been a long day pulling an engine....
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:46 AM   #8
DMO

These are great pics. I notice you don't have a proportioning valve? I just finished adding disc brakes front and rear to my 66 and I'm having some difficulty. After bench bleeding the mastery cylinder, and lines, adding brake booster and prop valve I can't get pressure to build. when the truck is running the brake pedal has no pressure. I can't find any leaks so I'm stumped. Any suggestions on where to start?
Thanks!
DMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #9
The Rocknrod

DMO - Take a look at this and think about it.
http://www.mpbrakes.com/techtalk/how...r-cylinder-gap
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
64shortbox

DMO,
When I first did my power brake conversion I still had drum brakes on all for corners. I later swapped in a 73 Disc brake front suspension. I used ALL the original brake lines & proportioning valve (Combination Valve) from the 73 C-10. I did however have to make a bracket to mount the proportioning valve in the 73 location. This was easy for me since at my work I have access to lots of scrap metal (stainless steel) and a welders.

Here's a link that gets into more detail as to what I did if that helps any at all. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=703755
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #11
MASTERBrian

I've had my bracket mounted, but I've yet settled on a booster/master/valve combo.

Has anyone used CPPs booster kit with this bracket? Is it just a direct hookup to the brake pedal or NOT?

If not I'll just buy something off the list. I'm also open to suggestions on where to get valve.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #12
siggyfreud

I went with a summit 8" dual diaphram, and a wilwood master cylidner/prop valve combo. Just started running the lines, so haven't driven with it yet. This is for a disc/disc setup.

siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #13
Northwest Outlaw

Booster and MC from a '76 c10, front disc rear drum brakes setup. i trimmed down the mounting bracket and then drilled hole in the firewall for the bolts. I had to add an extension in the brake pedal pushrod but everything was able to bolt in
Attached Images

Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #14
racecougar

We went with a rebuilt hydroboost unit spec'd for a '82 K20, a new AC Delco master cylinder for the same, and a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. The rest of the system is copper-nickel lines, SS hoses, Wilwood D52 dual-piston front calipers, and JB5 rear drums.

We whipped up our own mounting bracket to utilize the stock bolt pattern in the '65 C10 firewall. The pedal was modded slightly to place the hole in the correct location for the hydroboost pushrod. A little tab was added to actuate the stock '65 brake pedal switch.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #15
statenine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERBrian View Post
Just to clarify the boosters will work with my auto transmission column shift, correct?
I have the same question...with the Captain Fabs bracket will there be any interference between the column shift linkage and the booster? Looks like it could be close...
statenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #16
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by statenine View Post
I have the same question...with the Captain Fabs bracket will there be any interference between the column shift linkage and the booster? Looks like it could be close...
He says it should work. I'm picking up a booster from a 1974 C10 Suburban (dual 10" diaphragm) in about an hour, hopefully I'll get it on tonight and post some pics. It wasn't on his list I don't believe, but someone else used one from a 1973 (single diaphragm) and his worked. That was actually what I thought I was ordering, but I like the idea of dual diaphragm for the heavier burb.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #17
statenine

Quote:
He says it should work. I'm picking up a booster from a 1974 C10 Suburban (dual 10" diaphragm) in about an hour, hopefully I'll get it on tonight and post some pics. It wasn't on his list I don't believe, but someone else used one from a 1973 (single diaphragm) and his worked. That was actually what I thought I was ordering, but I like the idea of dual diaphragm for the heavier burb.
Thanks for the reply. He actually replied to me via email and told me with an 11" booster you may have to make a small indentation in the booster in order to shift the trans into park. If using a 10" or smaller booster, it should clear ok though. I had an 11" booster, so I will return it and pick up a dual 9" booster instead.
statenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #18
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by statenine View Post
Thanks for the reply. He actually replied to me via email and told me with an 11" booster you may have to make a small indentation in the booster in order to shift the trans into park. If using a 10" or smaller booster, it should clear ok though. I had an 11" booster, so I will return it and pick up a dual 9" booster instead.
I just picked mine up and come to find out the 'factory' bracket on it is riveted or welded in place. I guess back to drawing board. Arghhhh
Old 04-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #19
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That is exactly why the '73-'87 C/K series brake boosters are NOT on the compatible booster list. You MUST use a booster from the list that was included with your booster bracket.

Quote:
I just picked mine up and come to find out the 'factory' bracket on it is riveted or welded in place. I guess back to drawing board. Arghhhh
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:35 PM   #20
rvrfoot

Name:  DSCN0824.jpg
Views: 2844
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0836.jpg
Views: 2835
Size:  73.7 KB
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:35 PM   #21
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
That is exactly why the '73-'87 C/K series brake boosters are NOT on the compatible booster list. You MUST use a booster from the list that was included with your booster bracket.
Yes, I realized that after. I saw the other poster used one, our one close in year, and thought, great when I saw the pedal attachment.

Didn't even dawn on me to look at the other end, but when I opened the box I knew immediately. I think I had O'Reilly order in one from a 90.

It's been a frustrating few days trying to figure out the rear brakes, but I think I'm moving forward. Just ready to drive this beast.....
Old 04-28-2017, 11:38 PM   #22
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrfoot View Post
That cpp one is nice and I strongly considered it. But they are too far out on shipping for my time line at this point. I even figured I could have used it with my captain fab bracket.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #23
Warejd

Did you order the mount from captain fab or did you drill holes to mount the cpp booster?
Warejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #24
rvrfoot

I ordered amount from Captain Fab but the holes were off if you get a powder-coated you're going to screw up the powder coat I just got it raw steel rimmed the holes and then Rattle can black
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #25
MASTERBrian

I visited my welder and a surplus hardware store and think I've figured out my connection. If all goes well, I'll have it together tonight. Out of probably 100 drill bits, I for some reason am missing the one size I need...off to the hardware store again before this evenings fun...