The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Dm1pfoy1

Looking for Pro-touring/auto-x info

Ladies and gentlemen,

I have 72 c10 with some cpp drop stuff. I am looking for info regarding entry level to novice racing suspension setups. Hotchkis kit just seems too pricey to me at 5800. I want truck to be capable on street and track. So I figured adjustable shocks or air ride but I can not find solid feedback from google searches I did. So please let me know what you know or share some good entry level info not looking to put 5k in suspension with a 1k driver lol. Please give .02$ or links.
Dm1pfoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
bdiamond

Re: Looking for Pro-touring/auto-x info

Read the "Make it Handle" thread on here. 60 pages or so but well worth the read....
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
Dm1pfoy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiamond View Post
Read the "Make it Handle" thread on here. 60 pages or so but well worth the read....

Thank you I will look at that.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:55 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I consider Pro-Touring and Autox as diverging concepts. Pro-touring strikes me as a Pro-street looking vehicle (big rear tires, rake, big engine) designed for the street instead of the track. DOT's instead of slicks, full size fronts instead of front runners etc, and can be driven on road trips, distances. This would impart a comfortable street ride, but still using things like swaybars, powersteering etc to aid in handling.

The auto-x side, turns more to a stiffer, dampened ride, low profile tires etc.

For a budget, I've found that a front swaybar, adjustable shocks (I like qa1's), good tires, and a spring that wasn't cut/heated is a great start from most street trucks. I have trailing arms in the rear, so there is a natural advantage there over the leaf setup.

You can do coilovers as well for a great balance of function and usability, but its nto the cheapest option.

Brett and the guys at Ridetech offer some KILLER setups, but they are usually higher end. If I was building a custom ride for someone, I'd use a setup from Ridetech. If I had to pay for it myself, I'd probably go qa1 coilovers all the way around.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
theastronaut

Check out the truck section on pro-touring.com. There are some C10 builds that you could pull ideas from. I'm going that direction on my '66. I'd recommend looking at No Limit Engineering's suspension for your truck. Less money than Hotchkis and they're tearing everybody up at the track. I have their rack and pinion kit on my '66 and it bolted right in place no problem.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forums/15...o-Touring-type)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I consider Pro-Touring and Autox as diverging concepts. Pro-touring strikes me as a Pro-street looking vehicle (big rear tires, rake, big engine) designed for the street instead of the track. DOT's instead of slicks, full size fronts instead of front runners etc, and can be driven on road trips, distances. This would impart a comfortable street ride, but still using things like swaybars, powersteering etc to aid in handling.

The auto-x side, turns more to a stiffer, dampened ride, low profile tires etc.
They're actually pretty much the same thing; pro-touring is nothing like pro-street.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I guess I'd consider the Optima Challenge cars Pro-Touring, right? IMO with a few exceptions, they get built more like Pro-Street cars than autoX. Maybe I'm just out of touch

(very very possible )

Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
Dm1pfoy1

Quote:
I guess I'd consider the Optima Challenge cars Pro-Touring, right? IMO with a few exceptions, they get built more like Pro-Street cars than autoX. Maybe I'm just out of touch

(very very possible )

I guess i always saw pro street as skinny fronts tubbed rear lowered blown builds and while most famous pro touring car I know is the Red Devil Camaro.

The level im after could be called a g-machine??? I guess here is great video of entry level pro tour type car that im after

Throw that in your browser and sure youll like it too.Thanks for offering some help.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
Dm1pfoy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Check out the truck section on pro-touring.com. There are some C10 builds that you could pull ideas from. I'm going that direction on my '66. I'd recommend looking at No Limit Engineering's suspension for your truck. Less money than Hotchkis and they're tearing everybody up at the track. I have their rack and pinion kit on my '66 and it bolted right in place no problem.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forums/15...o-Touring-type)

They're actually pretty much the same thing; pro-touring is nothing like pro-street.

Thanks appreciate the link i have tried looking around on there its more meandering than knowing where to look lol.Thank you so much.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:32 AM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Hmmm, I get what your saying. I did some graphic design work a while back for some builders up here, and they were building a 68 charger, but sized to an E-body.

Anyway, I think it would qualify as what you call pro-touring.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #10
Dm1pfoy1

Quote:
Hmmm, I get what your saying. I did some graphic design work a while back for some builders up here, and they were building a 68 charger, but sized to an E-body.

Anyway, I think it would qualify as what you call pro-touring.

Thats hitting the nail on the head there just about 5 to 6 figures more than my scrawny wallet has in it lol.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:40 AM   #11
Jasons65

Ha! Its funny to see that 73 Chevelle, that's my buddy Sean, I did an autocross/roadcourse day at lightning raceway in NJ with him in my nova before he did the new paintjob, super cool car and a great guy!
Old 06-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #12
vannatta20

Have you autocrossed before? I have a very simple setup and I had a ton a fun! I see lots of guys spending lots of money to make there vehicle handle but end up never racing. Some lower there cars so much they cant even go over a speed bump.. I just have a front sway bar with drop spindles in front. The rear has lowering springs and all four corners have helper air bags that I put more air in to increase the spring rate. The truck handled great and most importantly I had FUN.
vannatta20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #13
Dm1pfoy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannatta20 View Post
Have you autocrossed before? I have a very simple setup and I had a ton a fun! I see lots of guys spending lots of money to make there vehicle handle but end up never racing. Some lower there cars so much they cant even go over a speed bump.. I just have a front sway bar with drop spindles in front. The rear has lowering springs and all four corners have helper air bags that I put more air in to increase the spring rate. The truck handled great and most importantly I had FUN.
I have not driven autocross before but have done several ride a longs. What helper bags did you use? I just want a simple set up. Still reading the make it handle. Looking at doing arm swap left and righ. But interested in what your using for bags.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:00 PM   #14
vannatta20

I used air lift helper bags.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  42.3 KB
Old 06-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #15
vannatta20

I figured I could increase the spring rate by using these bags. They expand out words thereby increasing the spring rate. It firms it up for autocross then I can let air out for a soft ride.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #16
Dm1pfoy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannatta20 View Post
I figured I could increase the spring rate by using these bags. They expand out words thereby increasing the spring rate. It firms it up for autocross then I can let air out for a soft ride.
Do you have any adverse issues when doing this? Like lift ride height? Or any other issues?

Just asking. I had same idea, well kinda, thought about air shocks but wrote it off. I really like it because its air ride without all the $$ in a system. Woder how well some adjustable shocks would help. This idea will really help budget plans too.