The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2022, 12:42 AM   #226
Richard

Re: Restomod 72 K10 "Good Memories"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDM View Post
May I ask which oil pan and headers that you used in the photos (part numbers from summit). I am planning my 72 LS swap with a l96 and 2wd 6l90e. My other swapped vehicle (76 Buick Regal) had major fitment issues for the headers, It looks like yours are perfect fit.
The oil pan- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19212593 as previously mentioned, some complained that oil pan depth is excessive.
Headers- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dte-323y-c looks like headers have almost gone up $200 since I purchased.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:46 AM   #227
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Looking awesome Richard! This truck is gonna be real cool when it’s done! Nice fab work.
Thank you! Truly enjoying the build and hope others are as well.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:47 AM   #228
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
The oil pan- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19212593 as previously mentioned, some complained that oil pan depth is excessive.
Headers- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dte-323y-c looks like headers have almost gone up $200 since I purchased.
Sweet thank you. Those Tri y headers look nice! I may stick with the Holley LS swap oil pan that I put in my Regal though. It worked out very well for my last swap.

I am still torn as to whether I want to keep my 4x4 though. The L96 and 6l90e swap is quite simple and I wont have to wait for any adapters or machine my NP205.
NDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:13 AM   #229
Richard

Quote:
Sweet thank you. Those Tri y headers look nice! I may stick with the Holley LS swap oil pan that I put in my Regal though. It worked out very well for my last swap.

I am still torn as to whether I want to keep my 4x4 though. The L96 and 6l90e swap is quite simple and I wont have to wait for any adapters or machine my NP205.
Like the 4x4's myself. Oil pan depth was not a concern for me. Always prefer OEM and thought the OEM pan I chose may hold more oil than the Holley pan. Curious how you can do a 6L90 to NP205 swap without any aftermarket adapters? Are you just stating you already have the pieces? I had found all 2wd 6L90 are 36 spline and no adapter available. With the exception being the ZL1 trans I have. Which is the same as a 4L80.
Old 06-11-2022, 08:03 AM   #230
NDM

Quote:
Like the 4x4's myself. Oil pan depth was not a concern for me. Always prefer OEM and thought the OEM pan I chose may hold more oil than the Holley pan. Curious how you can do a 6L90 to NP205 swap without any aftermarket adapters? Are you just stating you already have the pieces? I had found all 2wd 6L90 are 36 spline and no adapter available. With the exception being the ZL1 trans I have. Which is the same as a 4L80.
I like the 4x4 but my eventual plan iscto 2wd swap and lower mine so I am likely going to pick up a 2wd l96 and 6l90e. I would run the same 4x4 front axle at the same height that it is now but with no driveshaft. Once I am ready, I would likely do the swap with coilovers and porterbuilt, roadstershop or detroitspeed components.

I am not really opposed to keeping 4x4 but being honest with myself, I am building this as a daily driver and the truck rides pretty crappy. I am getting older and this suspension will get old pretty fast. I do like the height as is but my true dream was to have a low and fast hotrod. Had it been possible to keep 4x4 and lower it too, I thought it would have been cool to run it in a simialr fashion as my old SRT jeep. Kind of an AWD high power road eater! Since that is not possible, 2WD road eater it shal be.
NDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:25 AM   #231
Richard

Quote:
I like the 4x4 but my eventual plan iscto 2wd swap and lower mine so I am likely going to pick up a 2wd l96 and 6l90e. I would run the same 4x4 front axle at the same height that it is now but with no driveshaft. Once I am ready, I would likely do the swap with coilovers and porterbuilt, roadstershop or detroitspeed components.

I am not really opposed to keeping 4x4 but being honest with myself, I am building this as a daily driver and the truck rides pretty crappy. I am getting older and this suspension will get old pretty fast. I do like the height as is but my true dream was to have a low and fast hotrod. Had it been possible to keep 4x4 and lower it too, I thought it would have been cool to run it in a simialr fashion as my old SRT jeep. Kind of an AWD high power road eater! Since that is not possible, 2WD road eater it shal be.
AWD would be unique. While it would take some work. Using the engine trans and t-case from a later model AWD Escalade might be a path. An earlier Ford Dana 44 straight axle would have the diff on the correct side. Or swap the independent front suspension from the Escalade over as well. Lots of fab work, but that is what makes it fun.
Sorry for the lack of updates. Hope to get going on the truck again next week. Been working a lot to get the big Chevy out of the shop.
I did get my radiator hoses sorted for now. Used two upper hoses and one lower from the 2013 ZL1 motor came from. Some cutting, couplers and shrink hose clamps made them fit.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard; 06-15-2022 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:51 AM   #232
mr.mud1

looking good Richard,great work.it'll be a knock out when you get her done.all the best.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:28 AM   #233
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
looking good Richard,great work.it'll be a knock out when you get her done.all the best.Greg
Thanks for stopping by. Been keeping an eye out for an update on your truck.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:06 AM   #234
mr.mud1

Quote:
Thanks for stopping by. Been keeping an eye out for an update on your truck.
hi Richard,hope you're doing well.i would love to make an update on my truck but i feel like i've wasted a month and don't have much to report.my truck is painted,it's a mess and i've been trying to find someone to do it again without any success.everyone is busy,lots of places that can fix it next year or the year after???that won't do.i talked with a man the other day who said he'd come this weekend and have a look,we'll see what comes of that but i'm just about to the stage where i'll build a temporary paint booth and do it myself?take care.Greg.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:51 PM   #235
Richard

Finally a free day to get some work done on the truck. Over engine brace is tacked in and disconnects installed. Added more bracing to the shock hoops. Hope to finish up right side tomorrow then take it all off the truck. Plan is drop off at American OffRoad Thursday so Brian can finish weld all the pieces for me.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2022, 05:30 AM   #236
Richard

Hoops and brace are at American Off Road for finish weld. Made the double shear bracket for panhard mount at axle today. Will add more strength to the entire assembly on the right side. Was able to get left front bump off of truck and work on it as well. Will get the bump back in place and finish right side bump tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2022, 06:59 AM   #237
mr.mud1

Quote:
Hoops and brace are at American Off Road for finish weld. Made the double shear bracket for panhard mount at axle today. Will add more strength to the entire assembly on the right side. Was able to get left front bump off of truck and work on it as well. Will get the bump back in place and finish right side bump tomorrow.
WOW,that's impressive work there.very nice Richard.all the best.Greg
Old 08-11-2022, 01:23 AM   #238
Richard

With work, the heat and plain old procrastination I am still moving forward on the truck. Front suspension was taken off. Shock hoops fully welded, painted and tweaked for reinstall. Never planned to just bolt through stock frame. Reinforcements made with 1", 1/4" wall tube and tied to upper and lower frame rails. I removed the shackle hangers and patched the hole as well. Easier to route brake, fuel lines and electrical with it gone.

The procrastination part was on the front frame reinforcing or boxing plates. Very few making them, expensive ($750), waiting time and only seemed for 2wd. Felt I needed to do something as the frame was not designed to support the truck as I have it now. Have the left side ready for welding in. Wanted something for easy access and still provided support. You can see what I came up with. About $30 of metal I had picked up. It is 1/4" so should be strong.

Four link brackets are fully welded on the axle. Threw a coat of paint on it to keep the surface rust from coming back. Still need to add sway bar mounts and steering ram mount. All my links and bars are welded and painted except the draglink. Have been waiting for some HD high angle tie rod ends for it, they finally showed up. Need to get everything back on the truck so I can see if they will work. Shooting to get the truck supporting it's own weight first of the week.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2022, 08:28 PM   #239
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Wowzers! I just read through this thread. Absolutely amazing. I've done work on cars in the past ('40 Chevy business coupe with a straight axle, 350 engine, 400 trans, 3.90 posi, for example), but nothing as extensive as what you are doing here. No pictures, though, and I sold it to pay for my wife's engagement ring. We just did what we did back then, when the internet didn't exist. Should have kept and stored some of the stuff I had. I could be rich! Not really, I would have just built different hot rods with the money.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 02:55 AM   #240
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Wowzers! I just read through this thread. Absolutely amazing. I've done work on cars in the past ('40 Chevy business coupe with a straight axle, 350 engine, 400 trans, 3.90 posi, for example), but nothing as extensive as what you are doing here. No pictures, though, and I sold it to pay for my wife's engagement ring. We just did what we did back then, when the internet didn't exist. Should have kept and stored some of the stuff I had. I could be rich! Not really, I would have just built different hot rods with the money.
Thanks for checking out my build Steven. Was nice to meet you and your wife. Hope the effort I put into the A/C repair for you was beneficial and lasts. You are the first board member I have had physical contact with. Truly enjoy using the gifts I have to help others. Never done anything like this myself as well. I have been able to work through the challenges presented on this build only due to my God given talents, what I have learned and patience. If you ever want to come by and see the truck, or just hang out give me a ring. You have my info.
Old 09-10-2022, 03:38 PM   #241
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Thanks for checking out my build Steven. Was nice to meet you and your wife. Hope the effort I put into the A/C repair for you was beneficial and lasts. You are the first board member I have had physical contact with. Truly enjoy using the gifts I have to help others. Never done anything like this myself as well. I have been able to work through the challenges presented on this build only due to my God given talents, what I have learned and patience. If you ever want to come by and see the truck, or just hang out give me a ring. You have my info.
Sure! Maybe I can come over and help out a little? It'll have to wait for cooler weather. I can't take the heat, anymore.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 09-17-2022, 04:23 AM   #242
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Sure! Maybe I can come over and help out a little? It'll have to wait for cooler weather. I can't take the heat, anymore.
Would love that! Heat has been unbearable. Hit 116 here. Way too hot for this guy to work in. Still managed to get some work done in the 105 temps, had a frustrating problem removing shock hoops to paint frame. Good day today, should have some progress pics first of the week.

Last edited by Richard; 09-17-2022 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:48 AM   #243
mr.mud1

hi Richard,beautiful truck,beautiful work as i've already said.it's cool watching what you're doing,coming together.i can't imagine 116 degrees?i'd melt i'm sure?all the best to you and yours,take care.Greg.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:30 PM   #244
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Would love that! Heat has been unbearable. Hit 116 here. Way too hot for this guy to work in. Still managed to get some work done in the 105 temps, had a frustrating problem removing shock hoops to paint frame. Good day today, should have some progress pics first of the week.
I wore trousers for the first time (instead of shorts) and a flannel shirt, walking the dog yesterday. 59Ί! I can survive in that. There'll still be a lot of hot days in October, though.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 09-23-2022, 01:16 AM   #245
Richard

Has cooled off a lot working on truck mor inbetween the body shop work. Ran into a problem removing shock hoops for the finish work. Three of the four grade 8 bolts going through the sleeves I welded in seized up about halfway out. Guess it was the heat. One snapped with the 1200 ft lb impact, pounded rest out. Heads broke off other two. Drilled out one and just removed the support and remade on the last. Anyway, all good now!
Mustered up the courage to weld up trackbar and bump mounts to frame the other day. Shocks are installed today. Axle is on ground in pic, Need to raise frame to get full droop. Everything a mess as usual, axle actually drops two inches lower and bump will raise one inch when nut is tightened at top. Should have almost full use of the shock travel available.
Truck will be sitting on temp wheels and tires tomorrow!
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2022, 02:21 AM   #246
Richard

What a great day it was! Truck is supporting it's own weight on the temp wheels and tires. Ride height is right where I figured, probably have to dial in some more preload to keep it there after all the front sheet metal is back on. Only about a 1/2"right now. A bit of adjusting is needed on 4 link bars as well.
Will get on swaybar and steering ram mounts next. Truck sits high in front now, once the new rear springs are in it will level out or be a bit high in back allowing for the rear leaf packs to settle.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2022, 07:10 PM   #247
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Dang ... This is a serious truck! Love it!

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 03:34 AM   #248
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Dang ... This is a serious truck! Love it!
Thanks for the comment CG. More than pleased with how the truck is turning out. Going through my scraps of metal it looks like I have everything here to proceed with swaybar install and steering ram install. Will start on Monday. Probably have to work a bit next week and need some parts bent up so it may not get done by end of week.
Would like to use disconnect pins on the swaybar. $40 worth of pins are almost $20 to ship. Bolts for now and disconnects can wait.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:23 AM   #249
Richard

Was supposed to move some stuff into the shed to get it out of my way today. I instead worked on the swaybar. Got the frame side all done except for paint. The second pic is the parts that came in the "kit". The plates in the center I made to bolt bar to the frame. Will cycle steering in morning to check clearance and then take the arms to American Off Road to have the offset bent.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2022, 03:08 AM   #250
Richard

Brian bent the sway bar arms while I was there today. He was not sure his bender could handle the 3/4" thick material. It was no problem. Will get back on the install on Wednesday. Spent some time figuring things out after i got back. The offset was desired to keep mounting points at far ends of axle. Also necessary to clear the ports on steering box, closer than it looks in pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard; 09-27-2022 at 03:14 AM.