The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2014, 01:38 AM   #1
Grumpus Monkus

Our 81 C20 build begins

It is a 1981 C20 Camper Special (I throw that in FWIW) 2WD, 350c.i. w/ a TH350. It is currently used as a back up vehicle in case one of our others breaks down but will become a DD as time goes on.
Will post more as things get done.

Last edited by Grumpus Monkus; 03-19-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Grumpus Monkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
Grumpus Monkus

Re: Our 81 C20 build begins

So things are starting to move along.......
As I posted in another thread the tranny died earlier this week. We are going to stick with the TH350 instead of going w/ a 400, 700R4, etc... My sons and I have been slowly dismantling the engine compartment this week to pull the engine and trans out. We have been labeling every nut, bolt, screw, wire and hose that has been disconnected or removed.

We are pulling both trans and engine because it saves us 250.00 if the shop doesn't have to pull the trans out, the engine oil pan has front and rear oil leaks, and I wanted to clean the engine compartment up. There is crappy wiring to deal with and some rust spots that need to be addressed as well.

I would like to see about putting in a new wiring harness while the engine is out, painting the engine compartment, and some other maintenance items while everything is out. Trans shop said it will be about 10 days before they get the trans done after I drop it off because of their current workload.

Any thoughts on what are "must do" and "should do" tasks while it's gutted? As for the wiring harness I believe I am looking at 350 - 400 for that alone, and since I haven't won the lotto yet there is a dollar amount to what I can put into the truck at one time.

I will try to get some pictures posted ASAP, and had hoped to with this post but my Iphone and computer don't want to talk to each other at the moment.

My adult supervision:

Thanks for any input.

1981 C20 350ci TH350 LWB Edelbrock Carb

Last edited by Grumpus Monkus; 03-19-2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Seriously hating my Sony Vaio and windows 8
Old 03-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
notallthere

Nice looking truck. Just from experience I would change the oil pump while you have the motor out. Cleaning the engine bay is good for the adult supervision. My buddies kids did his Camaro and because company was over you could have eaten off the fenders.
notallthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
Grumpus Monkus

Just out of curiosity, why change the oil pump out? The engine is a GM Goodwrench 350 w/ an estimated 50K miles on it. Is there one brand / manuf. better than another?

I hope to be able to put some thought and time into the engine bay. I would really like it to be clean as possible and for it not to look like a wire grenade went off in there.

Also, I assume black paint? It will never be a show truck but, as stated above, I want it to look as nice as possible for the money we can afford to put into it.

I should have some much better quality pictures over the next day or two.
Thanks for the input.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
notallthere

I just got into the habit of pulling the pump and throwing in a new one anytime the motor is out of the truck. The stock ones are pretty good I just avoid the less expensive ones from any of the parts stores.

As for the engine bay just painting it black has always worked for me.
notallthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
Billy81

Semi gloss black i think is what most use for the engine compartment and i always like painting my engines chevy engine orange. It looks good against the semi gloss black plus it's easier to spot any leaks.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #7
Grumpus Monkus

If I can get the engine Chevy orange I will do it. Pics tomorrow, but got the engine and trans out today. 3 frickin' bolts in the bell housing, all on the driver side, one broken off bolt on passenger (thank God for bolt extractors). Oilpan is missing bolts as well. More burned and charred wiring located, hole in the manifold (again pics tomorrow), degreasing and cleaning up frame this afternoon & evening, sanding, sand blasting and primer on schedule for tomorrow. Took the radiator core support out instead of trying to lift engine over it (great decision IMHO).

Trans will be done by this Friday at the soonest or next Friday at the latest.

It was a lot of fun especially with our little guys asking questions and wanting to help.

ETA: Trans fluid was cloudy and smelled like a well used ashtray.

Last edited by Grumpus Monkus; 03-12-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 AM   #8
Grumpus Monkus

More pictures

I am doing small sections at a time, as time allows. I have these 3M rubber discs that take paint, rust, and grease off pretty well. Then I am putting on a coat of primer, letting it dry and then hitting it w/ a couple of coats of semi-gloss paint.

I got the wiring harness pulled out and I will see about essentially rewiring it myself. I would love to have a prefabbed set up, but saving $$ helps in other areas.

Radiator core support bushing:

I have Energy Suspension graphite black bushings on the way.

Working for the next few days so not a lot will get done.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:59 PM   #9
Grumpus Monkus

So just over 2 years later teh ol' girl is up and running as of today. She seems to run and drive fine, but we noticed a few issues:

Tail / brake lights don't work, fuses appear to be good.

Electric windows won't go down, again, fuses appear to be good.

Floor switch for high beams, we get all 4 headlights, and when we press on the floor switch to turn the hi beams off we get no lights at all.

No turn signals

And the windshield wipers like to come on randomly even thought he switch shows them to be off, a new switch was put in when we bought the truck a few years ago because the PO said the wipers don't work. They did after the switch was replaced, but again, now they come on randomly.

Any thoughts?
TIA

Old 04-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #10
Grumpus Monkus

So now only 8 months between posts vs close to 2 years between post so I getting more active on this board?

Since my last post I was able to get a lot of things squared away thanks to the input from other members.

Brake lights / tail lights - fixed, PO had a massive splice held together with electrical tape only and the splices worked loose.

Headlights working correctly.

Windows work after lubing them up, and the correct fuse is being used.

Bought new shocks yesterday as I firmly believe the ones currently installed are the originals.

Between work and classes (currently in a welding program) time is limited. I'll try to get some mews pics posted in the near future as well.