The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #1
atotalnincompoop

1955 chevy 539 paint code

Good morning, I am building another 55 pickup and have had to try to answer a question I posted during my last 55 gmc build. Back in 2017 I had posted trying to determine what colour "539" is. This number is stamped on the tag located on the door jamb. I've called 2 palnt stores and looked all over the internet. Anybody know?
Thnx
atotalnincompoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: 1955 chevy 539 paint code

Hi,

I kind of want to pick a few nits. I do find a thread from 2017 in which you are asking about paint color 539 for a 55 GMC built in Canada. In reality this is a very different vehicle than a US built 55 Chevrolet. GM Canada did not follow the same rules as Chevrolet USA and GMC ofered options and colors that were not available in Chevrolet lines. This is really after about an hour of intense searching through original Chevolet US parts manuals looking for clues for the color code.

I believe you're searching for a lost legend. I also believe you received good advice from Foot Stomper in the last post of the other thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...91&postcount=9

There are many variables that come into play when trying to match old paint colors. Variations in the original color, variations in aftermarket offered colors, changes in paint formula and paint technology, paint formula based on old color chips, and changes to your original color all work to make the search more challenging.

If you can, locate an area on the firewall that has not seen much sunshine. Remember that sunshine generally oxidizes a paint and most older paints appear more chalky with exposure to sunlight. Find as many paint chips that are close to the original color as you can. Then use different light sources to compare the chips to the paint on the truck, discarding chips that do not match. LED, Flourescent, and incandescent light all produce different frequency of light and all will help eliminate colors from your list of "maybe." If you get to a point where you can't decide between two or three, just take a few days to check out the match a few different times untl you can settle on one.

Ultimately you are not looking for an aftermarket representation of a color with the same name as original just as you are not looking for a generic aftermarket replacement part with the same name but different appearance than an original. You are looking to best represent the original appearance of the vehicle.

FWIW, my '57 Chevy ended up with a Mercedes truck color. I also switched from the original "Bombay Ivory" to a color that truly appears Ivory. The color combination looks good and looks like an original combination although to my knowledge Chevrolet never actually used "Ivory" on a TF. Short of being judged at an AACA show, the truck passes as restored from the outside.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:18 PM   #3
mr48chev

Best hope is that one of the members in Canada knows of a local to them automotive paint store that has been there since Noah stepped off the Arc that has the old paint chip books stashed away.

1project2many spends as much or more time as I do researching answers and searching for info and if he can't find it it isn't going to be found. I remember searching for that last time you asked and not finding anything. I've got old Martin Senior paint chip books out in the garage and will look but can't make any promises.

GMC info is somewhere between slim and none and if it isn't on the Old GMC web page you are going to have a hard time finding it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:30 PM   #4
unclebrad

I found a 536 paint code (Coppertone) on a site called Tim's Trucks. Nice site, but he's all about '54s.

The color code page is here:
http://www.1954advance-design.com/Do...pontB26S3.html
His main page is here:
http://www.1954advance-design.com/index.html
unclebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:09 PM   #5
atotalnincompoop

Thank you for your input guys, I have looked around on some Canadian sites but no luck so far. I have the colour narrowed down to either skyline blue or horizon blue. The paint under the gas filler hole rubber is in good unfaded condition. I may roll it outside tomorrow to get a look under sunlight. I will keep you guys posted.
atotalnincompoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #6
1project2many

Interesting. When searching for "skyline blue 1955 gmc" I came across a 1954 GMC color chart which shows original GMC colors (but not codes) for 1954. You may have found it already but I wanted to include it because "Cumberland blue" seems close to the other two shades you've found, at least according the the million or so images that Google shows.

Original image here.
Attached Images

1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote