The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
the idiocracy

Fitech EFI and custom gauges

I am starting a new gauge panel and I was thinking about the mechanical vs. electrical route. Current dash setup is stock '67 so I only have a speedo, fuel (doesn't work with aftermarket fuel cell), generator and temp lights, not gauges and turn signal indicators.

Engine setup is original 250, with a turbo and Fitech EFI.

I am looking to run a 7 gauge dash and any help regarding signals for the gauges would be great.

Speedo - mechanical or GPS..either way...non issue.
Tach - electrical off the dist.
Fuel - I have to find a gauge the works with 0-90ohm sender or a means to convert the signal from sender to gauge.

Here's where I start to loose the plot...

Temp / Volts / Oil / Boost
Should I stay pure mechanical or should I tap into the FiTech harness?
the idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
D13

Re: Fitech EFI and custom gauges

My personal preference?
Oil - electrical. Don't want the tube running up to my dash.
Volts - already electrical. Decide where you want to check it, at the battery, at the ECM, or at the alternator.
Boost - tricky. There's a limited selection out there. Personally I'd look at electric, again not wanting tubing to the dash.

Having said that - how do you like the FI on your 6? I'll PM you some questions, I'd love to see the truck.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #3
biketopia

Re: Fitech EFI and custom gauges

Like stated above, I've also liked electrical for gauges vs running tubing and cathode tubes into the vehicle, much cleaner and easier to get things where you want them. On the fuel gauge, 0-90ohm is what GM used for like eternity, like up until 98 or so, every gauge manufacturer makes a 0-90 fuel level gauge. I don't think I'd tap into the Fi-Tech harness though for your other inputs, just a way to cause interference. I'd get gauges and add the appropriate sending units as needed. I have my sniper in my Camaro set up that way, I have the sniper coolant temp and my gauge coolant temp and watch them both, they both stay within a few degrees of each other.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote