The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
americanmusc1e

67-72 60ft questions

I have a lot of questions about what makes a good 60-ft and what I can do to improve mine. My truck is 90% street, but I'm wanting to learn as much as possible.

Current setup:

Engine - 2000 5.3 LS with LS2 takeout cam and Chinese GT45 (69mm) turbo setup
Transmission - TH400 built by me. Summit 3000-stall nitrous converter (anti-balloon plate)
Rear- GM 12-bolt, 3.73's with a spartan locker. stock axles
Front Suspension- Cut coils (approximately 2" drop) KYB monomax shocks
Rear Suspension- Manual bags, poly track bar bushings, KYB monomax
Tires- Cooper Cobra 275/65r15

This is my first track visit after adding the turbo. I was running extremely low boost (5-6psi) for the shakedown runs. I'm in the right lane. launch at the track feels extremely sluggish. absolutely no spin on my tires. The turbo doesn't really spool until about 4000rpm so I have this two second window where it feels like I'm crawling from 3000 to 4000.

Here is the only video we got. It's of a different run where I tried to turn up the boost but I hit the overboost spark cut that I set up in the ecm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnEl...ature=youtu.be

When the truck was N/A, I had a 2400 stall converter on it that seemed too tight. It wouldn't spin the tires at all on a non-prepped surface. Right before I did the turbo, I added the 3000 stall converter and the truck was much better. I had plenty of wheelspin on the street. Now with the turbo, the converter feels laggy again. i really don't want to go to an even bigger converter because it's primarily driven on the street.

1. Looking through my logs, I can see that the converter is only stalling to about 2500 before trying to push me through the beams. Once I mash the pedal, it flashes to 3000.

2. If I have zero wheelspin with street tires at full pressure, is it worth trying anything with suspension/tires to better my 60-ft or is it all about torque available at launch?

3. Right now my first priority will be getting a real cam. The LS2 cam is proven at the top end, but trades off midrange for similar-sized aftermarket cams.

4. Other than that, I can try switching to a different turbo or tricks to get this one to spool faster.

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote