The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2023, 07:36 PM   #1
jeffahart

Wing vent window whistle turns out to be mirror

I've been chasing down rattles in my truck trying to get it buttoned down. I had a nasty rattle coming from the passenger door. I finally discovered it was the glass in the side tripod mirror. At the right frequency it really rattled bad. I removed the glass and put some adhesive on the back; but I broke the glass on trying to get it installed. So, I bought some LMC stainless tripod mirrors for both sided. Installed, look great, blah blah and fast forward.
I’m driving, with my new mirrors, and it seemed my Wing Vent Window was whistling worse than normal. I did my usual fiddling with it, with the usual no results in the whistle. My vent window rubber is 50 years old! Then I got to thinking… I just replaced that mirror, and I don’t like a coincidence. So I took the mirror off. Whistle gone! Put the mirror back on, whistle back. It’s always whistled a bit worse in a cross wind too(another classic Vent wing Blame).

Been blaming the wing vent for years. The Mirror whistles, go figure!
The good news, I won’t be rassling Vent wing rubber anytime soon. And after 50 years, it seals good and is holding up(knock on wood). I'll go ahead and live the the whistle a few more years now!

j
Old 05-16-2023, 08:22 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Wing vent window whistle turns out to be mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
I've been chasing down rattles in my truck trying to get it buttoned down. I had a nasty rattle coming from the passenger door. I finally discovered it was the glass in the side tripod mirror. At the right frequency it really rattled bad. I removed the glass and put some adhesive on the back; but I broke the glass on trying to get it installed. So, I bought some LMC stainless tripod mirrors for both sided. Installed, look great, blah blah and fast forward.
I’m driving, with my new mirrors, and it seemed my Wing Vent Window was whistling worse than normal. I did my usual fiddling with it, with the usual no results in the whistle. My vent window rubber is 50 years old! Then I got to thinking… I just replaced that mirror, and I don’t like a coincidence. So I took the mirror off. Whistle gone! Put the mirror back on, whistle back. It’s always whistled a bit worse in a cross wind too(another classic Vent wing Blame).

Been blaming the wing vent for years. The Mirror whistles, go figure!
The good news, I won’t be rassling Vent wing rubber anytime soon. And after 50 years, it seals good and is holding up(knock on wood). I'll go ahead and live the the whistle a few more years now!

j

You're lucky you found it that quick. My wife's DD had a whistle too. I chased it for a while and I finally figured out if I pulled in on the door while it was whistling it would quit. I did the old 2x4 at the bottom of the door and push in on the top a little bit trick and that cured it. I learned 40 years ago that you have to have the window down when you do that or you will have more work to do....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:49 PM   #3
Rust_never_sleeps

Just like everything else, it makes total sense....in hindsight ;-)
Good you got it figgered
Rust_never_sleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 07:52 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

Try running your finger around the perimeter of the mirror at speed while it is whistling. You usually can find that one place that is whistling. Then try taping something the size of a sugar cube on that spot and test to see if it cures the whistling.

It may take some experimenting but once you find the right shape then you can make something unobtrusive to attach permanently to cure the whistling.

Good luck.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 02:49 PM   #5
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Try running your finger around the perimeter of the mirror at speed while it is whistling. You usually can find that one place that is whistling. Then try taping something the size of a sugar cube on that spot and test to see if it cures the whistling.

It may take some experimenting but once you find the right shape then you can make something unobtrusive to attach permanently to cure the whistling.

Good luck.
Now that's interesting. It's funny, that changing the wind by opening the wing made whistle would go away, that's why I forever blamed the wing seals. Where rolling down the window had no results. Aerodynamics, gods greatest mystery when chasing down whistles and rattles.

I'll give it a try, thanks for the tip!

j
Old 05-18-2023, 08:55 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

That's real interesting.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote