The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2015, 02:12 AM   #1
91OBSChevy

Lowering 91 Chevy Suggestions

Hello everyone, this is my very first post and just wanted to introduce my self before I asked my question. I didn't know where to introduce myself so I'm doing it here.

I have a 91 Chevrolet C1500 on 265/35/22 and I want to lower it more but I can't go too low because my driveway up to our house prevents me from doing so. It's already lowered a bit but sits high in the rear and I simply don't like that look and instead of just leveling the rear I want to go lower all around, so if you guys could help me out with this, give me some advice on how low and mayor post some picture i would appreciate it very much.
Attached Images

91OBSChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:30 AM   #2
91OBSChevy

Lowering 91 Chevy Suggestions

Hello everyone, this is my very first post and just wanted to introduce my self before I asked my question. I didn't know where to introduce myself so I'm doing it here.

I have a 91 Chevrolet C1500 on 265/35/22 and I want to lower it more but I can't go too low because my driveway up to our house prevents me from doing so. It's already lowered a bit but sits high in the rear and I simply don't like that look and instead of just leveling the rear I want to go lower all around, so if you guys could help me out with this, give me some advice on how low and maybe post some picture i would appreciate it very much.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Lowering 91 Chevy Suggestions

I had a 91 Silverado that was lowered in the front with the 3' drop lower DJM tubular 'A' arms and the rear had a 4" Belltech drop on it. This combo worked very well for me and daily driving. I put over 300,000 miles on the truck before selling it to another guy.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
91OBSChevy

That looks good, but did you have clearance issues, like on speed bumps or any noises in the rear when you would hit a pothole or anything like that?
Old 01-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I live in Kansas and yes we have potholes and not a lot of speed bumps, unless you count a VW no and then. I drove this truck like it was stolen and it handled them all really well. No tire dragging and it still could haul a load if needed. The DJM lower 'A's lets you use the factory front springs and the rear was still the factory springs just set at the lower stance. I did adjust the pinion angle when I first got the truck, but it was easy and there were no noises. This truck could haul along at 80 to 90 MPH without any noise or grinding. Slow down a little for most bumps, but did not need to for any real reason. I miss that truck.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
UKNOWME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91OBSChevy View Post

I have a 91 Chevrolet C1500 on 265/35/22 and I want to lower it more but I can't go too low because my driveway up to our house prevents me from doing so. It's already lowered a bit but sits high in the rear and I simply don't like that look and instead of just leveling the rear I want to go lower all around, so if you guys could help me out with this, give me some advice on how low and maybe post some picture i would appreciate it very much.
How is it lowered currently? How much lower do you wanna go? I would assume those 22s are gonna rub if you're trying to tuck.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
1badgmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
How is it lowered currently? How much lower do you wanna go?
Those are my questions too. From the pic, I would guess that it doesn't have anything besides a pair of shackles to drop the rear.

One thing I'll put out there right now, if you go with spindles to drop the front, be careful when ordering and make sure you get the correct set. The '88-'91 regular cabs use a different spindle from all other '88-'98 1500 2wd trucks. They have a smaller axle pin. The other spindles will work on your truck, but you'll need to replace the brake rotors and bearings to match.

Way back when I ordered spindles for my '91, I was careful to make sure and order the correct set and Stylin' Trucks STILL sent me the wrong ones.
1badgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:01 PM   #8
91OBSChevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
How is it lowered currently? How much lower do you wanna go? I would assume those 22s are gonna rub if you're trying to tuck.
I'm not sure how low it is right now but it's not much and it's shackles for the rear. I'm not trying to tuck just go lower so there's not such a big gap in between maybe 2 inches up front and level the rear to match the front.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
1badgmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91OBSChevy View Post
I'm not sure how low it is right now but it's not much and it's shackles for the rear. I'm not trying to tuck just go lower so there's not such a big gap in between maybe 2 inches up front and level the rear to match the front.
The truck looks to be pretty level (and pretty high), so I'm standing by my theory of it only having the drop shackles on the rear and no other drop.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
91OBSChevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
The truck looks to be pretty level (and pretty high), so I'm standing by my theory of it only having the drop shackles on the rear and no other drop.
You're right it only has the drop shackles to level it with the front, but it still sits a little higher in the back, you can't really see it in this picture but it does sit a bit higher in the back.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
1badgmc

Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like you might have a rollpan on the back? Do you have a spare back there still? Eliminating the bumper and/or spare take away a lot of weight, which can decompress the suspension some.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #12
91OBSChevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like you might have a rollpan on the back? Do you have a spare back there still? Eliminating the bumper and/or spare take away a lot of weight, which can decompress the suspension some.
Yeah there's a urethane roll pan and the spare tire was removed, but sometimes it looks completely leveled and most of the time it looks higher up in the back, which i don't get.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:17 AM   #13
UKNOWME

I vote drop spindles and rear hangers. That should bring you down a couple inches all the way around.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #14
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

You can add the rear spring forward mount that raises the spring eye a couple inches. It will lower the back of your truck to level it out.

My bagged 89 C1500 ran the Bell Tech forward spring buckets, single leaf drop springs and axle flip kit with a welded in C-notch but with stock shackle length and would drop the frame level front to rear to within 1/2" of the ground.

Front was drop spindles in stock A-arms with bags and cut out inner fenders for tire clearance.

I recently converted it back to a static drop with stock springs up front and stock multi-leaf springs out back but kept the front drop brackets for the leaf springs. The back sits a little too low for the roads around here with the top inch of the 28" tall tires above the fender lip. I need to get the stock front spring buckets reinstalled to raise it up and level it out with the front.

I need to get the pictures off my camera still before I can post up some images.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote