The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
Ryan_S

1980 K20 Wood Truck Project

I wouldn't really call this a "build", but it will be a little project that could turn into something.

About a month ago I stumbled into this truck in a parking lot. Any time that I see an older Chevy truck for sale I always have to take a look. The truck is in OK shape and long story short I bought the thing, making it my 4th square. My last 3 all got cut up and trashed as 4 wheelin' rigs and I'm at a point that I'd like one to drive and use and not thrash on the trails. (I don't really wheel anymore anyway)

The goal for this truck isn't anything super ambitious as I don't have the time, budget, or talent to do anything special. I'd just like to make it a good functioning truck to haul wood to heat the house and drive around.

Here is the truck as I bought it:

First things first, I changed every fluid in it and had a look around. It's an old ranch truck, and there has been PLENTY of rancher wrenching done on it. The first things that really jumped out at me though were a wheel with 13 oz. of weight on it, a badly sagging door, the hood starting to fold, and a large leak from the rear pinion shaft seal.

So, I ordered new wheels, got a hinge pin kit, had the pinion shaft seal replaced, and tossed on some hood braces. I'm really not a fan of the way the hood braces look, but it's cheaper than a new hood for now.