The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #26
abadsvt

Re: LS1 swap. What oil pan did you use?

Thanks for the pics 68 short step! That is exactly what i was looking for. Have a great day! And by the way. Nice looking setup!
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #27
71Farmtruck
Junk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
I got the motor on to my frame and i noticed that i am going to have to switch oil pans. I have a corvette motor and am thinking about switching to an F-body oil pan but wasn't sure if there are different f-body oil pans? I am looking for the shallowest one. I was looking at the alluminum race ones but wasn't sure if it is worth the money. Thanks and any comments are appreciated.

Josh
There is only one oil pan for the F-body.
71Farmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #28
Hart_Rod

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but it looks like I'm going to have to run a camaro pan on the Suburban. With the bags and dropped arms it's just going to be to low. I think the crewcab will probably be fine since the susupension is only lowered a couple of inches. Anyway, does anyone have one that one to sell or does anyone know the part # so I can start looking? OBTW, check out the new headers for the LS1 from Doug Thorley, . No clearance issues here, .

*** Edit: Ok, I'm an idiot, I see the part # now, . But at least I posted some cool pictures, . ***
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 03-23-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #29
shifty
Questionable

Hey Rob - more info on the headers, pls! Cost, part#, pics of the drivers side?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #30
68 short step

hart rob check out the LH8 oil pan....
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:29 AM   #31
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
Hey Rob - more info on the headers, pls! Cost, part#, pics of the drivers side?
I'm not sure about price or part #. This set is a prototype (I think he nailed it though, ). Pictures as requested. You can also check out the suburban or crewcab build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
hart rob check out the LH8 oil pan....
Do you have a part number?
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2008, 01:55 AM   #32
jkade

Good luck finding a fbody pan and if you do plan to spend over $200 for one. You might as well get it from gm. I got lucky and snatched one up off ls1.tech a few months ago for $160 but it was missing the tray, the truck tray can be modified to work though.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:11 AM   #33
shifty
Questionable

damn, i guess i got ripped on my f-body pan sale price over @ ls1tech

hey rob - if Doug needs another guinea pig to test fitment on, please shoot him my name. I am all about testing products, and he is guaranteed to get a LOT of pictures here and at the LS1techs with a LOT of feedback, probably a nice boost in sales as well

free is always nice, and i'm always game to paying shipping and handling costs

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-26-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:48 AM   #34
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Hmmm... If they happened to make it this way in May, we could test fit 'em w/ a Dropmember... . ...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:11 AM   #35
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Hmmm... If they happened to make it this way in May, we could test fit 'em w/ a Dropmember... . ...
I'll see what I can do........
Old 03-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #36
71Farmtruck
Junk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
Good luck finding a fbody pan and if you do plan to spend over $200 for one. You might as well get it from gm. I got lucky and snatched one up off ls1.tech a few months ago for $160 but it was missing the tray, the truck tray can be modified to work though.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com Try part #12558762

Doug is legendary for awesome headers, has been for some time. I use Kooks on my '02 Z-28, but I will use his services once I stuff a Gen 3 motor in my green beater.

71 Chevrolet C-10 Short Bed Stepside
81 GMC 1500 Sierra Classic Long Bed

Last edited by 71Farmtruck; 03-26-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:41 AM   #37
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Farmtruck View Post

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com Try part #12558762

Doug is legendary for awesome headers, has been for some time. I use Kooks on my '02 Z-28, but I will use his services once I stuff a Gen 3 motor in my green beater.
Well there You need to make sure your links work before calling B.S. and you probably found a pan on there for around $150-$175 yeah, yeah. What you don't factor in is pricing the pickup tube, and the windage tray Do a little more research before calling

Last edited by jkade; 03-26-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #38
71Farmtruck
Junk Junkie

I think you need to lighten up, I meant it in jest, but since you challenge me, here goes:

I posted the link to the general site, prompting the thread user to type in the part # since the search function does not allow direct links to the searches, I for got that in my original post in my excitement to help but realized that fact and updated my post.

The pan kit comes with sensor, bolts, and gasket. (I saw you edited your post on the bolts.)
Here is a break down of the cost of the ls1 pan kit with windage tray and pick up tube:

LS1 F-body oil pan = 12558762 $167.34
LS1 F-body oil pump pickup = 12558251 $28.99
LS1 F-body windage tray = 12558253 $15.06

Grand TTL: $211.39 + shipping, which is alot better than buying used stuff from some yahoo on ls1tech. That was my point.

I posted only to help, I did not figure the "working from scratch" viewpoint that a transplant involves. I have built, tuned, and raced LSX motors since they were new.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:21 AM   #39
Hart_Rod

71 Farmtruck thanks for the good information. I'm not sure what the problem is lately, but it seems like everyone is in a crabby mood when they post. I think people need to take the time to read their posts before they post them........if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all.

R/
Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #40
71Farmtruck
Junk Junkie

Well, I will admit I did use the flag, only because I thought it was funny, and not to attack. Everything jkade said in his post that I quoted is correct technically, I assumed by saying good luck he meant that it was scarce new at a reasonable price, which I wanted to show that it was not.

Parts direct is great for factory parts, if you have the part #. I bought my L92 heads and L76 intake from them, which really kicks. I have a list of part numbers for the LS motors if anyone cares, I would be happy to share.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #41
krue
Designated A-hole!

Everyone take a chill pill, I know you weren't consciously trying to start a pissing match but it doesn't take much for it to read that way.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #42
71Farmtruck
Junk Junkie

I apologize, and remove the flag.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #43
jkade

Quote:
I think you need to lighten up, I meant it in jest, but since you challenge me, here goes:

I posted the link to the general site, prompting the thread user to type in the part # since the search function does not allow direct links to the searches, I for got that in my original post in my excitement to help but realized that fact and updated my post.

The pan kit comes with sensor, bolts, and gasket. (I saw you edited your post on the bolts.)
Here is a break down of the cost of the ls1 pan kit with windage tray and pick up tube:

LS1 F-body oil pan = 12558762 $167.34
LS1 F-body oil pump pickup = 12558251 $28.99
LS1 F-body windage tray = 12558253 $15.06

Grand TTL: $211.39 + shipping, which is alot better than buying used stuff from some yahoo on ls1tech. That was my point.

I posted only to help, I did not figure the "working from scratch" viewpoint that a transplant involves. I have built, tuned, and raced LSX motors since they were new.
Just don't be calling B.S. and we will get along fine So I figured I saved a good $60 + by buying one used and money saved is fine with me. Your post came across as being a smart a$$ so I reacted in a way I thought was equal to your post. You may be a member of ls1.tech, or pro touring or some of the other sites where being a smart a$$ is cool but people over here don't care for it much and when people over here start acting like them I will stay clear of this site also. FYI most gm dealerships will match the gmpartsdirect.com site so you can save the shipping and get it local. I went back and looked and found the price I wrote down when I was needing a pan from gm and it was $197 then for just the pan so they have come down in price. No harm no foul 71farmtruck

Last edited by jkade; 03-26-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #44
71Farmtruck
Junk Junkie

I have not tried to get a parts direct price from a local dealer, I have experienced from local dealer parts men that they are a bit averse to the online discount dealer parts prices. One parts guy at a Houston dealership went as far as to not give me a part number so I could shop around, he said that he simply would not give it out. That really ticked me off, he acted like a part number was proprietary information or something.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #45
jkade

Quote:
I have not tried to get a parts direct price from a local dealer, I have experienced from local dealer parts men that they are a bit averse to the online discount dealer parts prices. One parts guy at a Houston dealership went as far as to not give me a part number so I could shop around, he said that he simply would not give it out. That really ticked me off, he acted like a part number was proprietary information or something.
Most of the dealerships around here will match the price as bad as they hate to. I guess all of them are different though.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #46
shifty
Questionable

Thumbs down Re: LS1 swap. What oil pan did you use?

Quote:

Parts direct is great ...
... if you like getting your ass pounded. They're a nightmare to deal with. You can't talk to a human, you pay $100 less than the dealership for parts, but 10x the shipping (shipping on that pan is probably $65). In the long run, you're barely breaking even, and sometimes paying more by using GMPD.

To boot, when I bought my truck pan, dipstick, pickup from them, they sent it in an oversize box with barely any padding, it rattled around so much it had a hole the size of a baseball in it, some of the bolts were missing, the pan was damaged.

It was clearly their fault, but it took almost 3 days to get in touch with someone there just to get a claim filed and get new parts shipped out AND THEY BLAMED THE DELIVERY PERSON. It was their shoddy packaging. I told FedEx straight up, it was the deliverer's grossly inappropriate package that caused the problem.

Scary part? They probably re-sold the pan to someone else.

I dunno about you, but If I have a choice between buying online and paying 20% less for parts, but 150% more for shipping, or buying locally, guess what I'm going to do?

AVOID GMPD!!!

Last edited by shifty; 03-27-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:03 AM   #47
71Farmtruck
Junk Junkie

Sounds like you had a bad experience to say the least. Sixty five dollars for shipping is a gouge, i would tell them to stick it. I have never bought a bulky item like that from them, but all my experiences with them have been good. I think the last thing I got from them was a window motor for my camaro, which was $100, brand new GM, not that rebuilt crap, and it was half what the local dealer charged, and shipping was $15. It really depends on the item you are buying when it comes to your percentage off list price with parts direct. I do more business with Scoggin Dickey than I do parts direct, sometimes they are cheaper, sometimes not. I will say they are top notch in service though, they truck freighted a LS6 motor to the shop door in two days. Another good thing is to have a good relationship with a salvage yard in your area. I can get just about anything I need from my bone yard, he's got pallets of LS engines and parts, hell, he's got five 67-72 trucks out there as well that arent even well picked.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:22 AM   #48
shifty
Questionable

I buy all of my stuff with gmotors.com, Brasington Cadillac down in Gainesville, FL. Bill and the guys are about 5% more on cart price, but shipping is actually honest - they charge you realistic rates with realistic handling, and combine shipping on orders.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #49
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
damn, i guess i got ripped on my f-body pan sale price over @ ls1tech

hey rob - if Doug needs another guinea pig to test fitment on, please shoot him my name. I am all about testing products, and he is guaranteed to get a LOT of pictures here and at the LS1techs with a LOT of feedback, probably a nice boost in sales as well

free is always nice, and i'm always game to paying shipping and handling costs
I'll mention it to him. I think he said the price was going to be around $560 + shipping. I think that includes, gaskets, collectors and header bolts. I can't say much about the price, but I will say the quality is incredible.

R/
Old 03-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #50
shifty
Questionable

Ceramic coated for $560?!