The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
VictoriaHardware

Bilstein Shocks for '63-'72

Part Numbers

I just completed the installation of Bilstein 4600 Series shocks after a lot of research on this and other web sites. It was not straightforward but can be done for the ’63-’72 C10 with front and rear coil springs. The truck in this case was a ’66 C10 statically lowered 3/3.

First of all, numerous places list the front part number 24-192941. I found number 24-011853 as well but it is no longer valid, being superseded this number. This is a gas charged monotube damper with a 46mm diameter piston. Extended/compressed lengths are 15 1/2” / 10 3/8”. These are dimensions similar for a truck with stock ride height. In this case the front suspension was lowered with a drop spindle only, so the shock length required did not change from stock. You would want to measure your truck to see if this part would work or not.

Most places list no part for the rear however. Some literature lists 24-0002486 and show it as a current part number for the front of a ’60-‘82 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. After calling Bilstein they gave me the critical dimensions and it seemed like it would work. Extended/compressed lengths are 18 7/16” / 12 3/16”. These are dimensions similar for a truck with stock ride height. In this case the rear suspension travel was measured and it would work. The truck had ECE shock relocating brackets which helped the situation. More on that later.

So I ordered a full set. There are numerous places that carry them, you just have to search for best price and availability. Many places list them but they are on back order. Here is what was received. The fronts have the upper mounting stud pre-attached to replace the factory stud. The rears have rubber grommets in both ends, but no metal bushing like the front lower does. More on that later.
Attached Images

VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote