The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
carolinajohndeere

gas mileage

Hi: I just bought a 1972 C50 with a grain dump bed. The brake lines were shot along with some wheel cylinders. Just got all that fixed and started driving the truck. It has a 350 engine, a 4 spped trans., and a 2 speed rear end. The rear end is a 6.50 ratio in hi range.

Anyhow, the truck runs great. The only problem is that it is getting reall bad mileage, less the 5 mpg. I know this is a low geared rear end, but a 6.50 was in a lot of the Chevy trucks.

What has been you experience with gas mileage on one of these. Once I know what I should be getting, I will start digging into the fuel system if needed.
Thanks in advance for your help.
carolinajohndeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
South Florida C50

Re: gas mileage

It's never gonna be great, but you can make it better doing a few things that I did to my 1969. I had the same setup as you before I turned it in to a pickup. Try to keep up on the routine maintenance, new plugs, new wires, better air filter,change your distributor to an HEI, if your still using points. And the number 1 thing I did that really helped was upgrade to a high-flow exhaust system! It has to breath better to be more efficient. Night and day difference in the mileage.
Attached Images

South Florida C50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:43 PM   #3
C10 - C90 Bill

Great advice on the Exhaust.

It will sound a whole lot better too, lol.

Also as mentioned, give the engine a good "Super Tune".

I had both, a Flow-thru Exhaust and a Super Tune on a lot of my Chevys and I would get some great mileage out of them.

Also important is "how" you drive it.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
jumpsoffrock

Once I swapped my rear gears from the 6.5:1 to the 4.86:1, I ended up driving it about 70 miles north to pick up a car. Topped off the gas in town, and as soon as I exited freeway again. Doing a rough calc, I got 10mpg. I was very satisfied with that.

I haven't even done a tune up on it! In 25 years! Still running the same plugs, wires, and points that have been sitting on it since my dad was given it in ~1989.

Tare weight is ~8400lbs., 327ci with 2bl rochester, 4-spd, 2-spd rear

P.S. I have new plugs etc, a junkard HEI, the need for a new exhaust, and finally changing to an electric cooling fan coming down the pipes though.

I really can't wait to see what mileage it gets after that.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote